Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2011, 07:00 PM   #1

Dealer and Title

My sister and brother-in-law bought a 2008 class A motor home from a small dealer in San Antonio about 1 month ago. They paid the full amount when they picked it up. After not getting the title in two weeks, they called the dealer and was told that the title was sent to the state for transfer on November 2nd. They are saying that the state is slow in processing titles.
Has anybody had this happen or do you have any suggestions for getting the title.

Thanks........

adamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2011, 07:08 PM   #2

Slightly off topic, but.........

NY State is notorious for taking 2 months or more to deliver titles. Of course, they are happy to expedite the process for AN ADDITIONAL FEE.

Florida uses "electronic" titles (It's in the "cloud" -- ugghh), but again, will send you a paper copy FOR A FEE.

Do you see a pattern here?

Bottom line - Check with the state DMV web site or local office.

Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 07:53 PM   #3

I suspect that dealer has a paper copy of the title transfer for their records If so, request a copy of their copy.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamson View Post
My sister and brother-in-law bought a 2008 class A motor home from a small dealer in San Antonio about 1 month ago. They paid the full amount when they picked it up. After not getting the title in two weeks, they called the dealer and was told that the title was sent to the state for transfer on November 2nd. They are saying that the state is slow in processing titles.
Has anybody had this happen or do you have any suggestions for getting the title.

Thanks........
I bought a pickup out of state and ran into something similar. I had been told the same thing - my state's DMV was slow. I ended up calling my state's DMV. Wasn't as hard as I'd imagined. Anyway, found that the dealer had been feeding me a line of BS. The DMV had never received the application. Armed with that info, I called the dealership's GM, attempting to sort the mess out. When I followed up a couple of days later I was told that the paperwork had been sent out, and that was confirmed with my state's department of motor vehicles. 3 days later I had my new plates in hand - 6 weeks after buying the truck.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:47 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Titles in Texas take anywhere from 3 weeks to 6 weeks... The title application had to be signed by the purchaser and he/she should have been provided some sort of receipt at that time. As posted by someone else, ask the dealer for a copy of the paperwork just so they have something in their hands.

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:06 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ky is state that is typicly a 20-35 day wait for a title.
Of course you can apply for a quick title(usually 7-14 days) for a extra $25.

This is the one thing I love about Ohio, no joke on that.
You go to the clerk of courts with your paperwork or signed title. and with only 5 mins at the clecks window and you pay the sales tax + $15 in fees and you walk away with your new title.
In the buckeye state also if you loose a title, you go to the same clerks office with your id and a new title is $15 and they print it out for you on the spot.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by texnet View Post
Titles in Texas take anywhere from 3 weeks to 6 weeks...
That's about right
Be Patient
Old 11-26-2011, 09:18 PM   #8

Arkansas,,, in and out in 45 minutes with our new title/plates... (I was there early)
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:08 AM   #9

Thanks to all that answered.
adamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 11:41 AM   #10
D&J

If the dealer didn't have the title that means that they had a lean against the unit, if I was paying cash I would have the transferred title in hand before they got any of my hard earned money, makes them go the extra mile to get the deal done. Bought a new truck in Oregon and payed cash left the dealer with a certificate of origin (new car title), bought a new 5ver in Texas with cash left with the title and the same with the one I bought in Kansas. All I had to do is go to the county building and give then their cut and I had a Nebraska title and plates in hand.

Denny

2003 HH 35 Premier
D&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 04:21 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Depends on which state the title is from. California is 3 to 6 weeks before you get posession of title, even if you pay cash for the vehicle.

Dieselclacker
Old 11-27-2011, 04:43 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
this is why you dont pay "cash" for anything. In FL we can get a "quick" title for $35.
I can transfer a title out of a sellers name into anothers with the appropriate powers of attorney signed...even if youve lost the title to your $500k rv.

Another reason is the "salvage" or "rebuilt" designation. It wouldnt suprise me if the state makes the dealer present the rig for inspection if it was bought from an insurance company or salvage auction.

Clear, clean, and present are the 3 most important components of a vehicle sale.
I would NEVER trust a dealer to do the title work.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepill View Post
Florida uses "electronic" titles (It's in the "cloud" -- ugghh), but again, will send you a paper copy FOR A FEE.
We bought ours in Florida(e-bay) but the dealer did the (paper)title transfer via Tallahassee...it's not THAT far from Melbourne. It still took 6 weeks, so I guess they're still using the burro. Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 05:16 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
They should have received a title application, properly executed (Or a copy of it) at time of purchase... States can be anywhere from a few days to several months processing Vehicle records depending on the record.. I've seen them take over a year to correct a record or note a change however that was a few decades back and they do it faster now days. (Short comment. Retired police dispatcher here I've seen thousands and thousands of vehicle registration and title records)

(Second note: The one that took over a year to correct.... MINE!!!!!)

You might contact the state's DMV.. Most of them have both a FAQ section and even a "Contact" link on their web page.. You will likely find it in the FAQ otherwise, ask.

« gas rv | help ? »