RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2018, 03:39 PM   #1

Dealer destroyed service records ????

Called a dealer today about one of there coaches and asked if they had service records on the coach. I was told they had destroyed them due to confontality reasons but they will do there own inspection report. Not sure if I like that answer. Is this normal for service record not to be avalible . I understand you shouldn't see the previous owners names. Please help me with this.

Thanks Doug B

Doug B is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2018, 03:48 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Oh, I think I'd find another coach and definately another RV dealer.

I don't believe there are any confidentiality issues possible; its easy enough for the dealer to redact names and addresses from those records, but it's already a matter of public record who owned the vehicle previously.

And there is no way an inspection report substitutes for service records; they are hiding something and lying to you to boot.

Possibly they just don't want buyers to call old owners and find out the truth about the price or the condition.

HoneyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 03:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug B View Post
Called a dealer today about one of there coaches and asked if they had service records on the coach. I was told they had destroyed them due to confontality reasons but they will do there own inspection report. Not sure if I like that answer. Is this normal for service record not to be avalible . I understand you shouldn't see the previous owners names. Please help me with this.

Thanks Doug B
I would seriously question whether the RV had damage or repairs the dealer didn't want a potential customer to know about. When we traded in our 2001 Adventurer we gave the dealer all the maintenance records. The new owner even gave us a couple calls asking for some details.
Old 09-16-2018, 04:05 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
.When I was looking for a different rig I called the factory and asked about records, the answer was if I bought the rig they MIGHT release what they had and the reason was to protect the confidentiality of the owner.
So, yes, that is the correct answer the dealers give.
Accept it or buy somewhere else.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 04:08 PM   #5

I have done so much in the way of upgrades, add on's and maintaince that I would doubt that any dealer selling my rig would know what is what.
I would almost insist that a new owner of my Lexi contact me so I could advise him/her of what I did. Wouldn't bother me a bit to talk to new owner.
Fortunately, not planning on selling our rig, but if we did wouldn't hide anything.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 04:14 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
They could redact the personal info and still provide.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 04:22 PM   #7

Sounds pretty fishy to me. I think I'd find another dealer!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 04:32 PM   #8

What was the name was the dealer, so others can be forewarned
skeeterlan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 05:08 PM   #9

Happens all the time, with cars.

We special ordered a 2006 Jeep Liberty Limited for my mother in law. She seldom drove it except to the grocery store, etc. Two years later she fell and broke a hip, leading to rehab and finally nursing home. We kept the Jeep in her garage for years, driving it occasionally. Always washed and waxed regularly. Kept all maintenance and upkeep current. New battery, new tires after a few years, all fluids changed, etc.
It was very pristine. I had every record of everything from the day the dealer delivered it. Original window sticker, showroom brochure, all service records, etc. She passed away in 2014. We kept it, and drove it for a few years ourselves.
Last year, we traded it for a new 2018 Jeep Cherokee. It had roughly 35,000 miles on the odometer. The dealer did not want any of the records.
GoneToTheDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 05:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy0374 View Post
I would almost insist that a new owner of my Lexi contact me so I could advise him/her of what I did. Wouldn't bother me a bit to talk to new owner.
Fortunately, not planning on selling our rig, but if we did wouldn't hide anything.
Grumpy
When my Sister bought her class A, in one of the cabinets, was a large plastic box, with all the manuals, receipts for everything done, and even a log of all the fuel put in the coach. A super gesture from the previous owners.

I have tried several times on my vehicles, to keep records, but I always drop the ball sooner or later.
Old 09-16-2018, 05:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superburban View Post
When my Sister bought her class A, in one of the cabinets, was a large plastic box, with all the manuals, receipts for everything done, and even a log of all the fuel put in the coach. A super gesture from the previous owners.

I have tried several times on my vehicles, to keep records, but I always drop the ball sooner or later.
I pretty much have every receipt for any equipment, add on's, mod's, and maintaince done on our lexi, and they would all go with the rig.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 05:44 PM   #12

I have not bought a used vehicle in over 40 years. Without service records and contact info of prior owner for an RV, I would never buy from a dealer. Period.
Dealers lie every day of the week.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 06:23 PM   #13

From the perspective of someone who has bought a lot of new vehicles and traded them in later; do you know the value of service records when you’re negotiating a trade? Zero. The dealer won’t offer one cent additional just because you include them. I always keep good records for warranty service, and in the rare instance I do a private sale, they’re included because that’s added value to a discriminating buyer.

When doing a dealer trade, I don’t know where that vehicle is going -possibly to auction- and there won’t be a scrap of paper in it with my name. No upside for me to do so.
Old 09-16-2018, 06:38 PM   #14

I looked at some pretty crappy rigs with all the service records. One of the worst was a Monaco owned by a vintage car restorer. He did no maintenance, rode it hard, put it away wet and got a new used rig each year. His wife clued me in, she didn't think anything of it.

The one I purchased didn't come with the service records. It would have been nice but it wasn't a deal breaker.

Tags
dealer, service