Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2014, 10:01 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Dealer Issues

We just had a bad experience with La Mesa in Phoenix on a used coach. After going thru 2 salesman that didn't know anything and wasting 2 hours, we finally got one. Finally picked a coach we liked. We found several issues which needed fixed and expressed our concern that everything needed to work before taking delivery due to our situation here. (Work camping and can't bring the coach back)

We were assured EVERYTHING would work as it should when we took delivery. They set us up with a date to drop our trade-in off and pick our new one up. Later (not trusting them) I said we would come back for the final walk through to check repairs, then bring our trade-in on another day to do the final swap. Boy am I glad we did that. Not only were half the things not done, we found the windshield cracked and a few other problems. I also asked the Service Mgr if the Sat antenna was working properly, he said yes.

7 days later we were told it was ready to go and come get it. After another inspection the drawers were still missing from the fridge and one other problem I could fix. They said they would order the drawers and DW said if they don't get them right now, she's walking. Voilą, 10 mins later hear comes the drawers.

Now it's time to do the paperwork and it's not ready. The girl said no one told her we were coming today. 2 hours later we are on our way.

A few days later we decided to drive it a few hours to double check everything. Well the cruise control didn't work. A day or so later the DISH guy shows up and works 3 hours trying to get the Sat set up. Finally figured out the main board in the dish was shot and $500 for a new one. I emailed La Mesa Service Mgr and told him about the cruise and the dish problem. He said those items are not covered under warranty. I explained I was told EVERYTHING would work and I had no way to test the dish and he said it worked. He said he would forward to management and would get back, that was a week ago. I wouldn't buy a light bulb from LA Mesa.

clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2014, 05:19 AM   #2

cylon51, sorry about the bad rv buying experience, but it sounds typical to me. Sales dept and svc dept can't work together. We recently traded and it took for ever to go thru sales to be sure problems were solved. I was lucky about one problem not being solved, because local rv repair guy had a better idea about doing the weatherizing. Good luck, Dave

allegro1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:12 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
We just had a bad experience with La Mesa in Phoenix on a used coach. After going thru 2 salesman that didn't know anything and wasting 2 hours, we finally got one. Finally picked a coach we liked. We found several issues which needed fixed and expressed our concern that everything needed to work before taking delivery due to our situation here. (Work camping and can't bring the coach back)

We were assured EVERYTHING would work as it should when we took delivery. They set us up with a date to drop our trade-in off and pick our new one up. Later (not trusting them) I said we would come back for the final walk through to check repairs, then bring our trade-in on another day to do the final swap. Boy am I glad we did that. Not only were half the things not done, we found the windshield cracked and a few other problems. I also asked the Service Mgr if the Sat antenna was working properly, he said yes.

7 days later we were told it was ready to go and come get it. After another inspection the drawers were still missing from the fridge and one other problem I could fix. They said they would order the drawers and DW said if they don't get them right now, she's walking. Voilą, 10 mins later hear comes the drawers.

Now it's time to do the paperwork and it's not ready. The girl said no one told her we were coming today. 2 hours later we are on our way.

A few days later we decided to drive it a few hours to double check everything. Well the cruise control didn't work. A day or so later the DISH guy shows up and works 3 hours trying to get the Sat set up. Finally figured out the main board in the dish was shot and $500 for a new one. I emailed La Mesa Service Mgr and told him about the cruise and the dish problem. He said those items are not covered under warranty. I explained I was told EVERYTHING would work and I had no way to test the dish and he said it worked. He said he would forward to management and would get back, that was a week ago. I wouldn't buy a light bulb from LA Mesa.

just to point out something about your experience. Most dealers have dish or direct tv recievers for sale. They can take one out of the box plug it into the satellite antenna and turn it on. It should point the dish and come up to a menu where it has to download software. If the dish will do that then it is working. The other thing you could have done is take your receive from your coach with you when you are inspecting the other coach You could have plugged yours in and see if the satellite dish worked. I know that does not help now but for someone else reading this that might be faced with a similar problem. When you are buying a coach. Take anything you will need with you. A satellite receiver in the flavor you use. Except for wineguard traveler you can set most satellite dishes up for either direct or dish. It is not hard to do takes maybe ten minutes and the dealer can do that. Take a receptacle tester and check all the receptacles. You can buy them at lowes for less than ten dollars. A lot of people have pointed out you can get stuff fixed a lot easier before you take delivery and pay for it.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:57 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
We bought the coach to FT and we had never had Sat in an RV. Since it came with a dish, I decided to utilize it and the reason I wanted a guarantee it would work. If I was told they weren't sure it worked, I would have taken other steps. The cruise control issue is listed as a warranty item and still refuse to fix it.

I consider having TV anywhere we go a necessity and certainly cruise control is also a must in a Class A. Well I got neither from LA Mesa and I'm being ignored.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:02 PM   #5

Sorry to hear about your problem. Based on my experience, I now demand that every system and feature MUST be demonstrated as working to my satisfaction. I ask for an advance copy of the test procedure even provide my own checklist that outlines things I want demonstrated. (I have been through many FAT and SAT procedures and seldom is a 100% full compliance reached on complex systems). A failed system or lack of the capability to demonstrate a fearure/system does not necessarily mean I would not agree to a conditional acceptance, (in writing) and I would hold payment or have some leverage to ensure full compliance. But there are show stoppers that would jeopardize the deal. Each case would be assessed on its own merit.

It is unfortunate that some people just cannot be taken at thier word. I know if I agree to something, regardelss if it is written and signed, I will stand behind my word, but we know many (most certainly not all) sales people will do what it takes to close the deal. The unwitting customer unfortunately gets the shaft re false promises. It seems like this is the case for you.

Hope all works out for you in the end.

Good luck

PS edit: I also video the entire acceptance test, DW does that or I have a 3rd party do it, good for following up on any issue.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:12 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Both times we bought used DP's we stayed either on the dealer's lot or in an adjacent RV park for 2 - 3 days to make sure everything worked as promised. In spite of a pretty thorough PDI, in both cases we discovered items that just did not reveal in the PDI. IMO, these things are just too complex to be able to expect to do a final inspection and drive off and not find something that doesn't work.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:44 PM   #7

LaMesa spends a lot of money advertising. I would counter that, and let them know you are by every social media outlet you can find, starting with more postings on every RV forum you can find, Facebook and Twitter (even if you are not a member, sign up, it's free) manufac. websites and forums and Good SAM'S Action Line, which gets good results. If this doesn't sway them to authorize the repairs at least you can gash a pound of flesh from them.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:08 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincee View Post
LaMesa spends a lot of money advertising. I would counter that, and let them know you are by every social media outlet you can find, starting with more postings on every RV forum you can find, Facebook and Twitter (even if you are not a member, sign up, it's free) manufac. websites and forums and Good SAM'S Action Line, which gets good results. If this doesn't sway them to authorize the repairs at least you can gash a pound of flesh from them.
Laugh... [moderator edit] I'm contacting them tomorrow to see what they say. If no satisfaction I will start my media blitz!
Old 03-11-2014, 09:32 PM   #9

We tried to do a deal with La Mesa in Tucson. They have rigs at our RV park and sales staff who are around at certain times. Twice we made an appointment for the salesman to come and look at the rig we wished to trade in. The agreed time was what was best for HIM. He never showed and never called!!!!Sent an email to La Mesa voicing my displeasure. Never heard back .....no surprise. Will never ever deal with them again.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:28 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy757 View Post
We tried to do a deal with La Mesa in Tucson. They have rigs at our RV park and sales staff who are around at certain times. Twice we made an appointment for the salesman to come and look at the rig we wished to trade in. The agreed time was what was best for HIM. He never showed and never called!!!!Sent an email to La Mesa voicing my displeasure. Never heard back .....no surprise. Will never ever deal with them again.
We had a bad experience with LaMesa in Sanford, Florida with service on our last RV. I should have known better to actually buy one from them! Now I'm sure there are satisfied customers, but some customers are getting screwed.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:37 PM   #11

John, was this the on at I-10 and 83rd Ave?
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:58 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
John, was this the on at I-10 and 83rd Ave?
Yes it was Mike.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:34 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
John: Call the the customer relations manager at the Corporate headquarters in Ca. 800-459-6878. E-mail is customerrelations@lamesarv.com
Once I got him involved my issues were resolved quickly.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:06 AM   #14

Good info az bound! When we bought our Georgetown the finance, sales and service managers all told me everything was taken care of from my PDI tick list when we picked up the rig. On our first camping trip the day after delivery, we found out that the three musketeer managers were lets say less than truthful . Came home from that shake down weekend, un-hooked the dolly and car in front of my house and drove straight to the dealer which luckily for us is only about 12 miles away. Asked for the owner, he and I had some heated words, something about lying, but he took care of everything and more. Over the course of the next six months the service mgr. and I became friends and I can't compliment him or the dealership enough now.