Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-27-2015, 05:09 AM   #43
Wow, lots of answers and suggestions.... Now I'll put myself in your place.. I would call and verify exactly the status of the order at Newmar, from what I understand you can call and get a build date and better yet that it is an active order in line.

I'd then call the dealership and ask to speak with the owner and not accept anyone else and explain to him that when you ordered the coach you left the good will deposit that was required and that was all that was required.... that you have looked thru the paperwork and have not found any section that states you have to complete the deal before the coach is built... just be honest.

Explain to the owner that it seems like his staff is confused and he needs to speak to them and let them know they are the ones making the mistake.

Follow up this in writing in over night mail with a signed receipt.

Id then talk to the head of sales at Newmar explain your situation and ask them what is customary... (to be nice).. and explain that your paperwork does not call for any pre payment.

Now on the other hand, since this is an out of state delivery (which Newmar does at an expense to you) they can get on the phone to the dealer and see what is going on!

To be fair, if the coach is not going to go to California and your picking it up at the factory the folks at Newmar probably understand how to do it best and what is required... As for California registration, since the coach will not set foot in Ca. I can see why filling out a California registration is necessary.

So, my suggestion is to talk to 2 people only until this is squared away.. 1. The owner of the dealership. 2. Newmar sales management.. as for calling an attorney that is handy, but it sounds like a situation I'd want written conformation from the owner of the dealership... Since you won't be driving from Fla to California for service and warranty work once the deal is done you will not have to deal with the dealership again....

So, have a couple of cups of handy, gather your paperwork and start early this morning calling the dealerships owner.... If he tells you to deal with the folks you are talking to already then I would have them detail out exactly what they are asking in writing and then send that to Newmar ....

Good luck... sounds frustrating to me but stand your ground ... and get the facts...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2015, 07:44 AM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You say YOU are picking up the RV, so under these circumstances I have to stick up for the dealer. Somebody has to pay the manufacturer for the RV in order to take delivery from the factory, so he wants to do that with your money rather than using his floor plan credit. I suspect that is because YOU are picking it up, not him, so he doesn't want risk his money when he will never actually get his hands on the RV. You could drive off into the sunset after picking it up and he would be stuck. Yeah, it would be theft if you did that, but he is still on the hook for the loan. Or you could look at the coach and decline to accept it, and then he owns a coach he doesn't have at his store and has to pay extra to get it delivered, then hope to sell it to someone else. You need to work out with him a method and time of payment that gives reasonable protection to both of you. Maybe a 3rd party to hold the loan funds until you take delivery?

I don't get the CA registration thing, but CA is very strict on their dealer's transactions because so many people try to evade the high CA taxes. But if he isn't filing the paperwork in CA, what is it for?

Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2013 Buick Verano
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Old 02-27-2015, 07:44 AM   #45
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
I wonder if the dealer has a client that wants your vehicle and as they say in Poker, Putting a squeeze play on you. The play in this case is to some how cause you to forfeit your deposit and then sell the coach to the other party?
I think Sky_Boss may be on to something here...

We all know the RV industry has experience a bit of "resurgence" with the influx of "baby-boomers" who are starting to retire.. I hope this is not the case, but I can see someone willing to pay a little extra so they don't have to wait..

As the saying goes... He who has the gold, makes the rules !!
Eric & Denise
2012 Itasca Sunstar 35F
2010 Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited
Old 02-27-2015, 08:05 AM   #46
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Run, don't walk, as far away from that dealer as you can!
Agreed. But since you already have a deposit with him I would give him a very firm "NO WAY". I would pay him upon satisfactory delivery. Sounds like he is having cash flow problems. It might be worth a call to the manufacturer.

2009 Newmar 42 ft. Allstar 4188, Wheelchair Accessible, 400HP Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, Mastertow Dolly, '98 Riviera
Old 02-27-2015, 11:49 AM   #47
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
"Dealer wants loan to start 6 weeks before coach is built"

Yeah, I bet he does! I would like for my tenants to pay me rent before I build the apartment building!

Run away. Don't look back.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:02 PM   #48
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will join the chorus.. TV rerun I am watching was just playing the proper music for this thread.

Del Shannon: RUNAWAY

And that is what you should do, Run Away.

Also report dealer to DMV.

Now, if all they want is the loan approved, a letter of credit, No problem there, but if they want the actual money.. You do not sign the money over till they sign the title over..
Home is where I park it!
Old 02-27-2015, 01:06 PM   #49
I can only hope you got the message from the replies on this thread that what he is asking is B S. Pay for something this expensive when you have not even seen it ???? Pay before you even see or inspect it ???? If this was NOT in the original purchase agreement, I would tell him absolutely NO and if that is not acceptable then send you your refund immediately and you will deal with a more reputable dealer. As for signing any papers regarding California that would be a NO as well.
Don and Nancy
[2014 40QBH Phaeton, 2015 Buick Enclave, 2yr old sisters Sara n Kaycee, Havanese, Two Segways
Old 02-27-2015, 01:15 PM   #50
Thor Owners Club
That will also start your warranty!
Old 02-27-2015, 01:38 PM   #51
Tiffin Owners Club

Hi sinjineer,
Sorry to hear of you problems,but I would just say No Way.I know when I was thinking about ordering a new Tiffin the dealer wanted me to sign over my Damon before we even ordered the new one so we just said no and walked out.I know it is disappointing but I think that would be in your best interest.Good Luck.
Billy & Millie (2013 Allegro 36 LA) USMC VET
2013 Hyundai GT, 08 Harley trike
Mastertow dolly/ Great Doxie- Gracie
Old 02-27-2015, 01:39 PM   #52
Like Dutch Star Don questioned "who is the dealer". There are only a handful in California, like mentioned Tom Lindstrom(who I would highly doubt would do this and he is the only one you deal with when it comes to money, and he is the most honest dealer I have ever dealt with), Holland RV, Sky River and newly added to the Newmar franchise Richardson Rv located in Temecula. Is there any reason you do not say who the dealer is, that may help others in their purchases down the road or help explain the thought process of the dealer even though it seems flawed.
Mike & Charlotte
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3610
Orange County, California
Old 02-27-2015, 01:55 PM   #53
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
Like Dutch Star Don questioned "who is the dealer". There are only a handful in California, like mentioned Tom Lindstrom(who I would highly doubt would do this and he is the only one you deal with when it comes to money, and he is the most honest dealer I have ever dealt with), Holland RV, Sky River and newly added to the Newmar franchise Richardson Rv located in Temecula. Is there any reason you do not say who the dealer is, that may help others in their purchases down the road or help explain the thought process of the dealer even though it seems flawed.
I would prefer not to dis anyone until this plays out. We have not talked to the owner yet. We are NOT handing over any money until the PDI is completed to our satisfaction and we accept the coach. If the owner refuses to let that happen we will get our deposit back and reorder from someone else.
Is it ignorance or is it apathy? I don't know and I don't care.

Yoho, moho, the traveler's life for me!
Old 02-27-2015, 02:43 PM   #54
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I sure hope the owner will cooperate, but you might want to be thinking about where you can get a lawyer that can hopefully scare them into refunding your deposit!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
Old 02-27-2015, 03:09 PM   #55
Newmar Owners Club
Just be aware that there are some tricky logistics involved when doing a factory delivery. You really need to talk to the dealer AND whoever at Newmar handles factory pickups.

When we did our factory pickup almost seven years ago, we actually did the final paperwork and loan docs about two weeks before pickup. That was the only way to get the sales documentation before we left Texas (going to Indiana) so we could register it and have the TX temp plate when we got to Indiana. If you wait, you might be stuck in Nappanee a week or more waiting for the paperwork to go back and forth to the dealer. We had friends that were stuck there for two or three weeks before they could get plates to leave.

Also, we could not actual take possession of the coach (sleep in it the first night) until we had signed off on the unit with Newmar. That's a legal issue, and doesn't impact the actual PDI which was ongoing. And I don't think that Newmar could even have done that until the coach was paid for. Would the dealer give you possession if they didn't have the signed loan docs in their hand? Probably not. So if you're not willing to do it before you get to the factory, don't count on actually getting the coach for a few days.

Six weeks is crazy early. But two weeks or 10 days? Not so much.
2008 King Aire 4562, Spartan K3(GT) w/ Cummins ISX, Motosat HD-SL5 w/ SWM-8, Multiswitch, HR34 Genie
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7L V8 Hemi w/ Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow Bar and baseplate, SMI Air Force One brake
Old 02-27-2015, 08:39 PM   #56
Follow up with builder and get clear direction to this.

Sounds bad but it could be sales guy who does not have a clue.

Tony & Lori
1989 Country Coach Savannah SE
Closed Thread