Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2014, 09:32 AM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Your post is confusing. You state that all the dealers have their prices jacked up.....how do you know that, since you say ALL their prices are the same? Where are you getting info that the price is actually lower than what you're finding?

It seems to me that if all the prices are equal and they're giving the same discount, you've found the going price for that unit.

I've bought a lot of vehicles in my life. I find that when I shop multiple locations and the prices start to get within a few hundred dollars of each other, I've found the bottom line.

It sounds like you have X to spend and the dealers want Y....it's time to pay the higher price or select a less expensive coach.
Agree, if you want to know what the lowest price is then put a deal together with money in hand. At that point all of the BS goes away and you will find out if the dealer is going to sell you the unit for what you want to pay for it.

No different than a car deal, shopping the dealer is just that but if you are a buyer with real money the real deal comes to life.

2018 DS DP 4369 #607121 Cummins ISL9 450 HP
"We are from, where ever we were yesterday"
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2014, 09:49 AM   #30

well... are you "kicking tires" or are you showing up to the dealership with your trade-in title and checkbook hanging out of your pocket?

I'll bet if you have those things, in hand, and there's nothing stopping you from buying today... well.. it will be a whole new world..

Good luck !!

oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 11:18 AM   #31

not a tire kicker don't have a trade sold my m/h outright going to pay cash TODAY and could not get 5 dealers to budge
Old 11-18-2014, 03:23 PM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Somewhere above what the dealer has to pay the manufacturer is what they will sell the unit for. Some high volume dealers may get a better price from the manufacturer or be willing to take a smaller margin.

Show me a dealer who continually sells below that price and you have indentified a dealer who will likely be bankrupt soon.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:54 PM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdog View Post
not a tire kicker don't have a trade sold my m/h outright going to pay cash TODAY and could not get 5 dealers to budge
Find another dealer! If your shopping in a market that is relatively close, selling the like product and they have offered the bottom line then your too low for a dealer to margin any profit. As suggested you'll have to lower your expectations. Buy used? Check PPL for updated used market prices. There's a new coach dealer that is in Texas, name escapes me, but they offer very low prices coupled with very low service if any! If that's the deal your after it's there. Best of luck hope you'll find what your after.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 04:08 PM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
So how about an example as in if the unit you want is say MSRP for $325,000 and the dealer has it for sale at $285,000. Are you saying you are offering $240,000 and the dealer won't talk to you or are you offer $200,000 and they won't talk to you.

Also someone asked for the brand you are looking at did you ever say?
2018 DS DP 4369 #607121 Cummins ISL9 450 HP
"We are from, where ever we were yesterday"
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 04:09 PM   #35

Dealers price fixing

Quote:

Dealers actually prefer to get the extra revenue from their kick-back for providing the loan. Cash can be a dis-incentive. Keep the "cash deal" idea in your back pocket.
If you have chosen a high-demand product there is no incentive to lower the price.
I suggest going for a gently used unit and save a ton. Or going for a larger or classier used rig for the money you had in mind to spend?
And the PPL idea is great. Try this:
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/sold/soldmenu.htm

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 04:21 PM   #36

Swampdog, if your theory is correct, how do yo explain the fact that I (and I'm sure many others) got my MH for several thousand dollars less than the closest competitor, with all the same equipment and in some cases even more. I went or talked to several dealers who didn't care what my lowest price was they wouldn't match or beat it and always gave the BS of they have excellent service or can get the best financing. Where I bought mine I got both actually, the best price, great quality service, and I didn't need their financing. If they were all in this together I would not have been able to buy mine at the price I did anywhere. To get the best deal and their respect(not that I really care about that but it does help put you in the drivers seat) you have to know your prices, what you want and ready to put the money out.
Mike and Cha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 04:35 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I guess I didn't state my case very well , but I have looked all over for a new rv annd no matter where I look ! All the dealers internet and the 5 local ones have the same price always a jacked up list price with the same discount and it always turns out to be same price ! Dealers will not and are not discounting there units one dime they all are getting the real list price and I call that price fixing , there is no compitition between dealers FOLK!
I too am confused about what you're calling a "jacked up list price". Just looking at what dealers list on internet ads isn't a very good benchmark either.

When buying our new 40DP in 2007, I Googled the make, model and year I was interested in and found 25 dealers nation wide with units in stock and advertised. I sent emails to each saying I was ready to buy and wanted to know their best and final price. About half replied with the standard... "give me a call and we'll talk" message. I ignored them. Most of the others replied with prices between 22% and 29% off of MSRP. I used these replies to negotiate with my local dealer and was satisfied with the results.

I'm really surprised that you're finding that every dealer has the same discounted price. I didn't find that to be true but in 2007 the market was booming so maybe things were different.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 04:52 PM   #38
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Your latest post that stated you had money in hand and no one would sell.....this tells me that you're looking to buy at an unrealistic price. I often read where people shopped fro two years and just couldn't find a deal. They never will!

To me it's like the guy that has been married 5 times and none of the issues were ever his.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 09:47 PM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Unlike the car business, Rvs are not required to have a maroney label that states the manufactures msrp. Thats not to say some manufacturers don't provide them. Fleetwood is a good example. You can configure the msrp on their web site. Dealers are free to make up an "msrp" label they want. Even if a manufacturer provides one they can still make their own and some do. Either way, a little shopping will get you down to the real price. Even if a dealer sticks to the msrp, its not price fixing. If a unit is in demand, dealers will sell it for what the market will bare. I have seen the first year of the miata, the retro styled t-bird, camaros and a few others regularly command 10k over msrp when they first came out. Nothing illegal about that. Some folks want to be the first on their block to have the latest and greatest. If the rv you are interested in is commanding a certain price and you don't like it, then look elsewhere. Hell, when the Ford gt came out we got 50k over sticker. I have never seen an rv command msrp however. Somehow I doubt this rv you speak of is in such high demand. More than likely what the dealers are asking is the fair market.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:56 PM   #40

Ok, how about this.. Post the Manufacturer, Model and options that you are looking at and let some of the folks here make some phone calls.. Post the price that you are getting (No Trade) You pick up price and see what the price varriance is... Might be an interesting exercise...

On another note, I got a call from a dealer today on a coach I called on.. a week ago they were at their bottom price... Today the dealer Owner was in the house and ready to deal... Too bad I found out the unit was a Auction item with no records... Not good! But it does show, when thing start to get slow (holiday coming next week) they need to sell units so they will start to deal!
Old 11-18-2014, 10:02 PM   #41

We must remember that dealers survive on cash flow to pay the bills. When sales are slack, deals can be had.
I bought a new MH at 42% off MSRP because the dealer was hungry and I was stubborn.
Luck is a wonderful thing. I wish it for all of you!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:16 AM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Find the best deal you can that fits within your budget and purchase it. Be realistic or you will miss several years of the best years of the rest of your life.

Tags
dealer