Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2014, 09:17 AM   #43

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
My last RV 2013 Aerolite) where over a 6 month period was quoted just about the same out the door price for the unit I wanted including my trade at my local dealer who carried that brand. After 6 months and one RV show for the hell of it a called a dealer 2-1/2 hours away, just on a conference call with dealer manager and the factory production line manager. After stating what options I wanted was quoted a price 2 minutes later of 50% less than the quote from my dealer.

It was so below my out the door target price I was left speechless...I like to deal...I couldn't get any words out. And this was for a ordered unit. My dealer wanted $19.5k plus my trade (2005 tt) he quoted me $9800 plus mine. I told him I would be out the next day.

We signed a contract and left a deposit. The contract included if "I" sold my trade before the 6 week expected build, I paid just the difference. I did happen to sell my trade for $2k more than the $6500 trade price. So the deal got even better...And he really didn't even ask how I was going to pay (cash or finance) price was the same...

It just pays to hold your ground. Someone will want your business.

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2014, 10:51 AM   #44

That is a GREAT story... thanks for posting it Superslif :-) I have decided that if I have to drive 3 hours each way for service or purchase from the local Newmar Dealer that I may as well getting quotes from several dealers on the same build. I figure I can sit 3 hours in a plane seat or in my car and to save thousands.. it would be worth it.

I will admit, some dealers have very high overhead... Nice facilities, Coffee in the waiting room and all the niceties of home... but I"m not planning on living there...

From what I read here it is fair although to take any quote I get from a distant dealer and share it with our local guy. I did that with my current TT, I shopped told the local dealer what I got and I extimated what it would cost for me to drive up and pick up the TT and bring it home... My local dealer met my price and we shook hands and ordered the unit from him..

2 years latter just before I ran out of warranty I needed a part replaced, (an easy lock for the kitchen faucet) I still had to wait 6 weeks to get a $3.00 part replaced.. so, go figure.. I just don't know how to better incentive for these guys to get the work done any quicker...

I am planning on building up the unit we want and then shopping taking all other costs in the final number... We will see!

Old 11-21-2014, 06:39 PM   #45

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
will admit, some dealers have very high overhead... Nice facilities, Coffee in the waiting room and all the niceties of home... but I"m not planning on living there...
Yes, the dealer I bought from was a "volume" dealer. He only carries 5ers and tt's, NO motorized or pop-ups. His RV store carries the basic towing items and basic RV accessories. He does not go to RV shows, No fancy mailers. You know, I don't even think I got coffee...His dealership was modern and only 3 service bays. His small / medium size lot was packed with RV's door to door with the 10 lines he carries. He said all his advertising was "word of mouth". 90% of his customers never stepped foot into Ohio. They buy, he preps and ships. When a trade is involved, he will flip them on RV Trader and make $500-$1000, where other dealers will try to make $5k off your trade.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 11:04 PM   #46

smart dealer I'd say
Old 11-22-2014, 08:06 AM   #47

So, Go ahead and post the guys name and website ...if he is close to others looking it sounds like it would be a good referral...
Old 12-03-2014, 09:08 AM   #48

Ok so here is where i am today !we decided on the unit we want Dealer has it in stock where we live also found one within 150 miles from home BOTH units are apple to apple exact same everything right down to the color inside and out same equipment one dealer has the msrp at 121,000 and the other has it at 112.000 so now tell me some dealer's don't mark them up just to mark them down and call it a sale , so i have to ask what is the real msrp and how do you know if you buying it at 10 percent off or 32 percent off
Old 12-03-2014, 09:23 AM   #49

Years ago I learned the car dealers prices are custom printed to include the dealers preferred margin. That was in the old printed price books. It's even easier in the all electronic lookup.

FWIW I also learned about how to treat folks who bought somewhere else to save a buck then came there for service. There was a nice spot out back under the trees where the birds roosted...
Old 12-03-2014, 10:37 AM   #50

Nothermark... Call the Manufacturer and ask them how they come to MSRP,ask them for a list of standard and options and the factory price for these..if the Manufacture says they do not set the prices nor give MSRP then you know the dealers will do what they want... What I would do is decided on the unit give both units a good look over and offer the dealer what you think is a priice you will pay.... you will drive yourself nuts trying to figure out what kind of pricing games they are both playing.. it comes down to what are you going to pay and to Whom!
Old 12-03-2014, 10:43 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdog View Post
Ok so here is where i am today !we decided on the unit we want Dealer has it in stock where we live also found one within 150 miles from home BOTH units are apple to apple exact same everything right down to the color inside and out same equipment one dealer has the msrp at 121,000 and the other has it at 112.000 so now tell me some dealer's don't mark them up just to mark them down and call it a sale , so i have to ask what is the real msrp and how do you know if you buying it at 10 percent off or 32 percent off

Bottom line is what you should be interested not the top price (MSRP)....you know the out the door price.

Go buy the one with the lowest price if you want but if that price is close get it from your closest dealer if their service department is good.
Us out West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 01:03 PM   #52

OK, I went here Recreational Vehicles by Aerolite the website does not list any pricing at all which is too bad... it's hard to get a starting point... Take Jayco for example, they give you the MSRP on their site, let them build it up on line and print out the MSRP that you can take to the dealer.. With Areolite they don't offer that... So like so many here have said... decided what model, the options (over the standard model which they show on their website) and get multiple dealers to bid on it... pick the dealer your most comfortable with and if support is important to you that will have to be determined by you!

There are many of the manufactures of TT that do not give MSRP so we choose Jayco for the quality, layout, dealer suport and pricing.. I shopped around and I went to the owner of the dealership and said this is what I have found.... (where he can verify it) if he want's to compete he will but, he may not if it is too thin.. then you have to decided to you want to drive to the other dealer to buy it and for support if your local dealer will not do repairs.. But, remember with more the warranty is only 12 months after that your on your own for repairs (Other than Jayco that give you 2 years)..

There is no price regulation n this business... and it changes with the wind... So, Good Luck! Keep us posted..
Old 12-03-2014, 03:49 PM   #53

Sorry Northermark, my comments were meant for swampdog.

But, I will make a comment on the Car and Truck market (in the last 10 years) When I was pricing cars I went to the Mfg website (lets say GMC) there you can build the truck (in my case) and add the options and come up with the MSRP of that vehicle... I believe the dealer name being printed on the Maroney sticker is that of the Ordering dealer.... but you can find cars and trucks on longs with different dealers names but that usually is that they did a dealer trade for that vehicle.

Anyway, that's just my input for that!
Old 12-03-2014, 04:13 PM   #54

Quote:
Swampdog, if what you say is true and they are identical units, same year, same equipment, from the same MFG. I would get copies of both msrp sheets and then compare them, and I think you will find a difference that changes the price. If not then confront the higher priced dealer if that is where you want to buy and have them explain the difference.

MSRP sheets are not state by state whether or not they need to show them(at least to my knowledge it's a federal law). When we were looking I never had a dealer who didn't have it posted in the RV or in the office available to show/give me. One dealer asked why I wanted a copy and I told them I wanted to compare what I was getting for my money, and that should not be an issue. When I came down to 2-3 MH's I was really interested in I took the MSRP sheets to my insurance company for quotes as that is what they base it off.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 04:38 PM   #55
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Ok so here is where i am today...so now tell me some dealer's don't mark them up just to mark them down and call it a sale , so i have to ask what is the real msrp and how do you know if you buying it at 10 percent off or 32 percent off
Here's the federal law - Title 15 USC, Section 13:
" Knowingly inducing or receiving discriminatory price
It shall be unlawful for any person engaged in commerce, in the course of such commerce, knowingly to induce or receive a discrimination in price which is prohibited by this section."

Dealerships (retailers) are REQUIRED to price their products according to MSRP. With that you can figure purchase price.

Are dealers required to sell below MSRP - no.
Can dealers ask above MSRP - yes.

An example of mark-up above MSRP is "dealer prep" or "dock fees"

There is a reported scam where dealerships swap/modify window stickers - that is illegal under 15 USC.

Modern buyers have the power of the phone and internet. It is only wise to shop for best price.

The latest hiccup reported is that dealerships are refusing to service new/warranty units sold by other dealers. Seems the dealer only gets a fraction of retail on warranty repairs
I would think a quick call to the manufacturer would correct this, but that doesn't mean you can't still be stonewalled by your local dealer for slow or poor repairs.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 05:14 PM   #56

Hi Mike.... it's cold and wet back here.... by the way I did send you a message via email.

Ok, get back to my comment... the company that you mentioned Aerolite does not post their MSRP on their website, Mike made a good comment.. first, call Aerolite (all the contacts are there on their website) contact sales and ask them for their Manufactures List Price (not their Dealer price...) . Tell them you are trying to compare two sitckers on two of their dealers window price and make sure there isn't a mistake... Now It may be a real strech.. but one showing 121,000 and the other 112,000 could it be a typo?

How about listing the exact details on each unit.... are these trailers or Motorhome? at 121 or 112K I'd think you are looking at Motorhomes. It seems like all of us are unclear on exacly what you are looking at and where.

Either way Id call the manufacturer and ask for help.. they have to have some type of public pricing you can see!...

So, how about it.. list the exact model and maker and let us help you with some research.

Tags
dealer