Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2014, 07:27 PM   #1

Dealers price fixing

I have been looking at new rv's and it seems to me that all the dealers have their units jacked up and then give a certain percent off. And the bottom line is the same all across the country , looks to me if i purchase at the so called discount price I just paid retail price anyone else think like me or is this just a coincidence ?
swampdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2014, 07:43 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
It's just about the same for most products being purchased. Everybody has to get their cut. Some try to get more but the game is the same.

There is the MSRP. I believe that is standard across the industry. I could be wrong but if you find a coach that you like the MSRP for that model and year should be the same all across the country. Yes you have to take into consideration the options added to a unit.

Most on these forums try to get negotiate a price somewhere around 25% to 35% off of MSRP. As with trading in cars/trucks the trade in is a $$$$ maker for them as well.

When we traded in a TT we only had it for a year. They basically gave us what we owed on it which was about $29,000. We still got the coach for about 27% of of MSRP. Then we also saw our TT listed on their web sight for only $23,000. The way we figured is we got another $5,000 off of the coach.

We also ordered our coach. It wasn't just last years model setting on their lot that nobody else wanted. We also know they had to make $$$$$ or they wouldn't be in business. We ordered what we wanted and felt that we got a decent deal.

Can you get a better deal???? Sure you can. You might be negotiating on a unit that they can't sell. Maybe one with some demo miles. They may be wanting to get rid of old inventory to make room for new. To do that they may cut their profit margin. That's all part of the game.

TeJay
Old 11-14-2014, 07:44 PM   #3

Like many other things the Manufactures create a large margin between Dealer price and the mocked up retail price.. then some of the dealers recreate the manufactures sticker and put what ever price and charges they feel they can get away with. If I were to guess... Manufactures are giving the dealer about 40% and I am guessing some of the larger dealers with lots of units other incentives... Each unit I find has a lot to do with demand... What my wife and I have done is said this is how much we want to spend .. then we have been looking at units that are with in that price range.. when we find the right unit that fits our needs we will work on the price.. but my guess if there is a sticker there is probably at least 30% in it..
davidki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 05:32 AM   #4

Lightbulb

I guess I didn't state my case very well , but I have looked all over for a new rv annd no matter where I look ! All the dealers internet and the 5 local ones have the same price always a jacked up list price with the same discount and it always turns out to be same price ! Dealers will not and are not discounting there units one dime they all are getting the real list price and I call that price fixing , there is no compitition between dealers FOLK!
swampdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 06:03 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
All we are trying to do is clarify our experiences and offer suggestions. If you've done your homework, and it sounds like you have, then maybe a call to the manufacturer would be in order. You'll probably hit another brick wall but if you go to customer service and voice your concerns it might make you feel better.
Good luck with your quest.

TeJay
Old 11-15-2014, 06:12 AM   #6

Swampdog, no clue what you're looking at, or where, but I think it a safe bet careful shopping will pay off. If not in your backyard, might be time to consider a road trip?

And you can bet the dealers that have been working the same area for a while know each other well, and speak to each other regularly - but that doesn't mean there's no competition for your dollar between them.
Old 11-15-2014, 06:22 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you go around talking about price fixing, you're accusing the dealers of a crime. Good luck with that. The likely issue is that most dealers get the same basic deal from the manufacturers they purchase from. There might be some volume dealers but for the most part the RV costs what it costs. The dealers, on the other hand, have their own expenses: rent, salaries, overhead, marketing, etc. They all have basically the same costs so their markup, to cover those costs, is probably similar. Some higher, some lower. But, when added to the price they paid for the rig and allowing for a profit margin (we all gotta eat) the advertised prices are all going to be about the same. They also see each others ads and adjust their own pricing accordingly.

It's just like the four gas stations on the corner. They're all going to be within a penny or two of each other. Is it price fixing? Only if they all got together and agreed on the price beforehand. If they just look out the window and see that their neighbor is charging a penny more or less and adjust their own price? Nope.
lymanlouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 07:00 AM   #8

I didn't see a Manufacturer or coach name you are referring too, you may want to post what manufacturer your speaking of and what model, some folk on here may have a different story.. Units in short supply may bring a higher price but wait a couple of months when supply catch's up to demand...

Also, I am not sure if the government makes manufactures post their prices like what they call a maroney sticker... I think now because I know some manufactures (of TT) make up with own sticker. Interesting Jayco has a retail price you can configure on their website, not many others do. And I do not think it is a government rule they have to post it.

I have found RV direct as a source (just my opinion) you can look up a unit and say you want to custom build it, it then shows you all the options and MSRP for that optioin and I've built several models to check pricing and it has been helpful.

I know of one dealer he is up front, he tells you his cost (at least says a % off list) he configures the unit and asks for a flat $7500 as his fee.. on a $100,000 unit that is only 7.5% . That's a pretty good deal for you and for him.. he does nothing but place the order (his flooring cost) but if it is picked up when delivered from the factory that's pretty good for a days work...

My guess on the high price units there is alt least 40% in them but like the auto industry you don't know if there are year end bonus money to high volume dealers like in the car and truck business....

One thing they play with is PDI and any option they may add themselves... I"ve seen some crazy pricing on that kind of stuff..

At the end of the day, you figure what you want to buy, what your willing to pay and approach a dealer with an offer if he thinks it is reasonable he will take it.. One thing for sure, there not stopping production of these things and they are everywhere... so, don't be afraid to let your fingers do the walking your price could vary drastically!

Finally make sure your talking with management, I don't even waste my time with the go between folks. it is just that a waste of your time and his.. it will be the management that makes the deal, lot the salesperson 99% of the time.
Old 11-15-2014, 07:01 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Also are you negotiating or just looking at the discounted price. There is a big difference between their discounted price and what the sale price can be.

LEN
Old 11-15-2014, 08:59 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

The MSRP is the same, and all dealers pay the same wholesale price to the manufacturer, though delivery costs will obviously vary across the country. Each dealer has his own costs to recover and a profit to make, so it should not be surprising that the advertised sales prices end up pretty close to each other. I can see the same thng for thousands of types of products when shopping via the internet.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 09:49 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
All basic units come out of the factory at the same price I would think. The dealers add their own profit margins and that's where the dickering comes in. I suppose they can make more money of some folks that don't or won't dicker with the salesman.....depends on the season too.....Bigger discounts during the winter I would think. I always tell people when we talk about our rig is that there was the dealers price, the sale price and my wife's price....
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 10:20 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdog View Post
I have been looking at new rv's and it seems to me that all the dealers have their units jacked up and then give a certain percent off. And the bottom line is the same all across the country , looks to me if i purchase at the so called discount price I just paid retail price anyone else think like me or is this just a coincidence ?
Easily solved by getting the MSRP sheet DIRECTLY from the RV manufacturer.

Work from the manufacturer's MSRP sheet. Not the dealer's altered paperwork.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 10:54 AM   #13

Tom, exactly but the problem is... call a Manufacturer and try to get them to provide you with that it is almost impossible from what I have dealt with.

Some of the dealers add an additional PDI, but that has already been paid for in the dealers price from the MFG most of the time.

When I see a dealer that has provided a "Marked up price sheet" I have a tendency to ask a lot more questions and require a lot more documentation other that... that's what the price is!

I have vistied some dealers with Winnebago price sheets and I think the RV comes from the factory with that information on the coach.. if it's not in the coach, ask for it!
Old 11-15-2014, 12:03 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Dealers price fixing
Your post is confusing. You state that all the dealers have their prices jacked up.....how do you know that, since you say ALL their prices are the same? Where are you getting info that the price is actually lower than what you're finding?

It seems to me that if all the prices are equal and they're giving the same discount, you've found the going price for that unit.

I've bought a lot of vehicles in my life. I find that when I shop multiple locations and the prices start to get within a few hundred dollars of each other, I've found the bottom line.

It sounds like you have X to spend and the dealers want Y....it's time to pay the higher price or select a less expensive coach.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer