Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2010, 12:40 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sadlly Camping World is like most other retailers, they might have one or two people that know something and the rest are just consuming air. I have ordered stuff that they said has not come in for three weeks. Later found out that the parts had been there the next day. Service is the same. After talking to the service people I soon sumrised that they knew less than my dog. On one occasion, and my last, I was told that they did not know how to visually inspect my tires !!
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2010, 08:38 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Barrier2:
I had an experience at the Fairfield, Ca. location. I brought our 2005 Jamboree in for its first lube an oil change (when it was new). I drove it to an rv park immediatley afterwords. This was about 35 miles away from CW. Later- I checked the oil and found it way over filled. I recalled the woman at the service desk telling me that it took 8 quarts! In my ignorance- I never checked to see what the actual capacity was on the 6.8 L engine. After we were done camping that weekend, I brought it home and carefully removed the drain plug and let out enough oil into a cut off milk jug so that the stick was normal. I will never go back for service although we head up there every year or so to shop for stuff we need. In addition to this- my brother-in-law who owned a dp took his in for service too on another date. They also overfilled his crank case as well. I never complained or anything because I thought it was a waste of time and I get upset at dealing with people on this level, so it's healthier to just not go there anymore.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:59 AM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
So does this translate to Sams Club ERS?

This post is a few weeks old so I may be too late to ask, but with all your bad experiences with CW, and the fact that they are owned by Good Sam, would you avoid the Good Sam Emergency Roadside Service? Do they send you to CW for repairs?

Is Coach-Net better?

Thanks as we are new at this and haven't decided on the ERS yet.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:38 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Hi John,
CW service varies widely by store, not brand. As for the road service they are not connected to each other. All the road services call the same trucks. This means one should learn about each service, what services are offered and the conditions under which the services are offered. Once done, compare prices and purchase the one that meets your needs.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 03:52 PM   #19

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What awful stories on CW... and so many! I have purchased a few items out of their retail stores, but to be sure, I won't be using their service departments. At least by choice. Thanks for the heads up everyone! I have Brazel's RV do the work on my rig, at least as far as the things they will do, and have had good experiences with them. I've had a couple things done by my local dealer's service department that Brazel's doesn't deal with and have been less than impressed. Still trying to find someone like Brazel's to handle what they don't work on.
Ceratto's Grotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:05 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have Good Sam extended warranty and Camping World roadside assistance and have never been directed by Good Sam or Camping World roadside assistance to go to Camping Word for repairs. I have been very happy with both coverages.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:56 PM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
Cool

I do all my own service. If for some reason I can't they'd better let me observe what they're doing. CW in Rogers, MN installed two things for me, a Penguin AC on my truck camper (with my supervision, it came out OK, I wouldn't let them throw away my perfectly good vent either), and a new fridge in my motorhome in '05 or '06.
When they installed my fridge, I ended up re-installing it at home, they had it cocked in the opening, the cooling coils were jammed up against a piece of furring strip that didn't need to be there (probably what did in my original fridge) and so I called the service manager, told him all about the poor installation and what I had to do to correct it (remove and re-install). Instead of having reduced price installation, I could have had free shipping and I could have done it myself and not wasted all day there (it's 3 1/2 hours south of where I live). The only thing is, in order to get the factory warranty, Dometic requires that the fridge be installed by "certified Dometic technicians", and to uphold the extended waranty I had to drive 180 mile round trip to where I bought my motorhome each year. Now it's out of warranty and I do all the yearly tune-ups.
CW's service manager did refund the installation fee.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:08 PM   #22

Protect yourself

I started this years ago on my autos. When I take them in for service . I request the filters be brought to me before they begain the work. I then take a black perminate marker sign my name and date. This sounds like I don t trust the service center . Your darn rite I don t . Most of these places have young kids making min wage. When they see me sign my filters. They seem to be extra careful as they relize (for lack of better words) this guys A JERK!
flirtypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 05:35 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Just a quick note on roadside assistance. If you are buying it for towing purposes check your insurance policy. I just changed insurance companies. The previous company and the new one both provide towing service ($750 each occurance) as a part of the policy. It costs $2 per year. Now, if you are looking for roadside repair, that is a different animal.

Dave
Old 03-04-2010, 07:40 PM   #24

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by flirtypup View Post
I started this years ago on my autos. When I take them in for service . I request the filters be brought to me before they begain the work. I then take a black perminate marker sign my name and date. This sounds like I don t trust the service center . Your darn rite I don t . Most of these places have young kids making min wage. When they see me sign my filters. They seem to be extra careful as they relize (for lack of better words) this guys A JERK!

It really sounds like you should shop around for another place to service your rig. If you can't trust them to install a new filter without signing, I mean sheesh! There are too many honest shops out there to put up with this. It may take some looking, and maybe recommondations from friends, but worth it. I would stay away from service facilities that employ young unsupervised personnel. Its well worth the extra few bucks it may cost for servicing your vehicle.

Dieselclacker
dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:58 AM   #25

Vintage RV Owners Club
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by denochs View Post
Just a quick note on roadside assistance. If you are buying it for towing purposes check your insurance policy. I just changed insurance companies. The previous company and the new one both provide towing service ($750 each occurance) as a part of the policy. It costs $2 per year. Now, if you are looking for roadside repair, that is a different animal.

Dave
$750 is swallowed up almost as soon as the tow truck hauls a class A motorhome 60 miles. I've had my motorhome towed twice, one time I had to pay over and above ($600) for a tow from Duluth, MN to my house so I could replace the engine. My service costs me an extra $55.00 on my insurance, covers all my vehicles, tire changes at no extra cost, on road tire repair, etc. Also, check your roadside assistance program, unless it specifically states that it covers RVs, it doesn't, and you'll be surprised at the bill, they charge mileage to and from the point of assistance as well.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:21 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
It really sounds like you should shop around for another place to service your rig. If you can't trust them to install a new filter without signing, I mean sheesh! There are too many honest shops out there to put up with this. It may take some looking, and maybe recommondations from friends, but worth it. I would stay away from service facilities that employ young unsupervised personnel. Its well worth the extra few bucks it may cost for servicing your vehicle.

Dieselclacker
Just because they are young and making min or near min wage doesn't make them dishonest. My son works in one of these lube & inspection stations. He is 23 and has 2 years of technical school training 3 years of high school auto shop & has been helping me restore cars & motorcycles in my shop for as long as I can remember. He does not work on MHs but does cars, trucks & motorcycles. His boss pushes for him & his coworkers to sell additional services. My son & I have talked many times in great detail about suggesting that the customer have him do something that is not nessacarry from his recomendation & he assures me that he will only suggest these if they are needed. I feel he realizes that his repution is much more important than his boss making commission.

By the way I do all my own maintenance also. It seems that anytime anyone has done work for me I go back & redo it right. Shouldn't have had anyone else do it in the first place. Sometimes your hands are tied & you don't have the option of doing it yourself though. When I bought my MH from the largest dealer in NC and before taking delivery the cab heat would not turn off. The tech replaced the controller and it still did not work. I opened the hood and found the cable was not moving the water heater valve. They added a clamp to the cable. First time down the road it stopped again. This time the cable came off the valve. I looked at the routing of the cable with the clamp & all it needed was to flip the cable/clamp to the other direction & haven't had a problem since. This was a senior tech about 50yrs old. If he had taken 30 secs to look at it he would have realized what needed to be done and put it on correct. My point is that it doesn't matter if it is CW or Joe Smoes RV repair when the people in charge push flat rate pay and hurry up & get it done this is what happens. I am lucky in my work place. I make a good wage and am not paid flat rate. I and all the other mechanics I work with have the authority to tell management it is not right & we will not repair it that way & this is what it will take. We just must be able to backup our statements. I work on large passenger aircraft. Would you feel safe if I did not have this authority?

Sorry for the long post, I got carried away here.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 10:01 AM   #27

Workhorse Chassis Owner
dsbike... If you worked in an auto service shop, instead of an aircraft service shop, your place would be exactly like the place that I was referring to search for to have service work done.
Did not mean to infer that all young service personnel are dishonest. Your description of unscrupulous, service business owners and bosses pushing young inexpierienced employees to sell unecessary goods and services unfortunatly seems to be the rule instead of the exception. That is why I would advise seeking out a shop with a known good reputation, and if it costs a few bucks more, so be it, peace of mind knowing the job was done right with no unecessary extras added to the bill is worth it.
Though I am retired now and no longer a part of the daily go to work grind, I did work in the auto service and repair for 37 plus years. I owned my own business for the last 15 of those years. I never found it necessary to sell or install uncalled for parts or labor on a customers vehicle. I depended on repeat business from my customers, and could never have stayed in business if I engaged in such practices.
I wish your son continued sucess in the service field. Except for the technical schooling, his beginnings closely parallel my early start and experiences.

Dieselclacker
dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:28 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Dieselclacker, I agree with you. That is why I am constantly talking to my son about not trying to sell unnessasary parts or repairs. I pray he continues to hold his head up high & does the job right. Someday he might be his own boss and when that time comes having a good reputation goes a long way. I have always taught my children to treat everyone as you would like to be treated. For the most part I see this & hear from others how well they like my childrens work ethics. We need more shops like yours . One thing that I think helps is forums like this to get the word out about good honest shops.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote