Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-13-2015, 09:25 PM   #29
Originally Posted by tim myers View Post
Can you pull a Jeep on a dolly?
Definitely not if it's a four wheel drive. In fact I don't think any four wheel drive vehicle can be dolly towed.

Bob, Sherron & Kinsey (Goldendoodle)
2009 Tiffin Phaeton 40QSH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2015, 08:48 AM   #30
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
Definitely not if it's a four wheel drive. In fact I don't think any four wheel drive vehicle can be dolly towed.

Hmmm, thats a pretty broad brush you are using Bob. You might want to re-think or re-phrase your responce concerning ANY four wheel drive vehicle.

dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:35 AM   #31
What I remember form my old 4WD days is that the front drive shaft and rear drive shaft are connected at the transfer case by a huge chain. This chain connection does have some play in it for the AWD vehicles so that the two shafts can turn as slightly different speeds just like your differential does. Many of the older and some newer transfer cases have a lock feature that locks up the front and rear driveshafts to provide more traction. Ever tried to drive one of these on the pavement in the lock position? This being said, if one drive shaft is turning (the one on the road) and the other is fixed (the one on the dolly) the transfer case will have some serious slippage going on and won't last long. The neutral position on a 4WD/AWD only serves to disconnect the transmission from the transfer case which is why they work so well for 4 wheel down towing.

Now to be honest I have not torn into a modern day transfer case and I know things have improved over the years but I don't think the basic design has changed that much. I know some of the newer Jeeps can be ordered with locking hubs both front and rear. With rear locking hubs the rear wheels could be unlocked and thus would not turn the rear driveshaft. This would allow towing on a tow dolly.
tim myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 12:29 PM   #32
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Lots of older 4X4 vehicles out there. These are neither chain connected nor full time AWD, but rather have manually controlled transfer cases that allow both range selection, and two or four wheel drive selection. Selecting 2WD disconnects the front drive shaft at the transfer case. I once towed a CJ 5 on a rented dolly from Utah to California. Also have towed previously owned Suzuki Samurai many times on dolly before installing tow bar provisions on it.

As for the death wobble on OP Jeep, I would check for slack in steering components, toe adjustment, condition and air pressure in front tires.
dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 01:27 PM   #33
Monaco Owners Club
Hello everyone,

I thought I would chime in just to add my experience. I have been towing my 14 Cherokee since May of 2014 and put on over 13,000 towed miles without any wobble issues. No other issues exempt needing a new transmission, that is another story.

I have met many Cherokee owners that have never had any wobble. My questions is has the tow equipment (and supplemental braking system) and installation of the tow equipment been check for proper function and installation? It seems that if something was not installed correctly or aligned correctly this could be the cause of the problem.

Stuart & Leslie
08 Holiday Ramb Navigator, 45 ft, Cummins ISX 600, 2014 Cherokee Limited, Cashmere. Roadmaster Sterling, SMI Airforceone. Full-timing since May 2014
S-n-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 07:58 PM   #34
Howdy all - new DP owner here, also a long time jeeper.

2014 is a pretty new vehicle to have death wobble (DW). If you have had multiple episodes of DW (yeah - know in the RV community DW is not the DW ) more than likely you have damaged other components. Chasing DW can be frustrating and expensive.

Fortunately, Dirtman at JKO has the definitive write-up on how to track down the issue and solve the problem of DW. I've used his checklist and video several times to solve my own DW problems. A lot of dealerships and 4x4 shops are not very good at solving this issue. You can probably take the checklist in and have them run through it.

Adding a stronger steering stabilizer or changing the toe in/out does not solve the issue, but rather continues to hide the underlying component issues.

The below link takes you to his first post explaining DW and a video of JK experiencing DW. Post 5 is his checklist. The front end components on a JK and Cherokee are similar.

Diagnosing Death Wobble and Fixing Non-DW Shimmies and Wobbles - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

But the bigger question is what caused the DW in the first place? Is there an issue with your towing setup that caused damage to the steering/front end components resulting in the DW? Did you damage the steering while towing; curbs, backing up, etc)? Maybe you just got a vehicle with an inherently bad component. Not throwing stones here (I know from experience ), just tossing out ideas.

After you get the DW solved I think you need to find the source of the issue or you will be facing it again.

Good luck.
Jpr84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 07:18 PM   #35
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Karen, Please keep us posted. This is a problem unique to the 2014 Cherokee. My '94 Cherokee has over 100k+ toad miles.
Tom, Cheryl & Blossom(coonhound mix) Formerly of Bellingham,WA'05 Winnebago Journey 36G. FL-XC, Cat 350, aero muffler, AFE filter, 4 FSD Koni's, ultra track bell, SafeT+, FMCA397030, WIT 129107
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 10:29 AM   #36
I ran a wrecker in the service as part of my position as a heavy equipment mechanic. I also tried towing my wife's 1988 Tracker with auto locking hubs with the rear of the vehicle on the dolly as per the owner's manual.
In the service and also when we had our wrecker drivers tow in vehicle when I worked for the City of Phoenix we used rope or bungie cords on the unlocked steering wheel to a point near the steering wheel. Commercial towing companies I would send out after our vehicles did the same thing when towing with the front wheels down.
The Tracker would go into a severe wobble when coming out of a turn. The bungie cord on the steering wheel corrected this issue. What it did not fix was the transfer case going into 4 high by itself while being towed.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 02:59 PM   #37
Angry Deadly wabbling

Originally Posted by onourway2013 View Post
Dan N Missy
We have all four wheels down, when we hit uneven, rough, or deep groves in road the tires of jeep become out of sync with the coach. The front tires of the jeep start moving in different directions, which in turn shakes car and you most definitely feel it in the coach. I would think this would feel as if you had a flat tire on the coach (never had a flat). I hope I didn't just jinx us LOL.
We then have to almost come to a dead stop for jeep to become in sync with coach again. We had a cop tell us one time it happened he thought the car was going to flip, though that was a bit of exaggeration, as we can see the car in our back camera. This has happened at all different speeds 30-60. Hope this helps explain.
I just bought a 2016 Jeep Cherokee and just experienced the Death wobble .
my car has 850 miles 1 month old .
the problem is even on a new car this is a problem on 2014, 2015, 2016
Road Master tow hitch cure is to use bungee cord and tie steering wheel to bottom of seat
I can not see that is a fix to a $42,000 dollar car.
Chrysler was fined for not responding to recall problems
how do we get the government to make them fix this problem
Has anybody had the wobble not towing
BrightHeadlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 05:39 PM   #38
Monaco Owners Club
The death wooble has been a jeep problem since the earliest models, like 42, that's 1942 flat fenders. Loose something in the front end steering or alignment. A good alignment shop can cure the issue.

2004 Clss C 31' Winnebgo
OLYLEN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 07:47 AM   #39
That jeep would be on the trading block pronto. Lots of other vehicles to choose from. After those close calls and getting freaked out a guys nerves would be fried. If a police officer tells you he thought it was going to flip over, that's big time serious.Your supposed to be having fun. IMHO get rid of the POS so you and your wife are safe.
RIDER FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 08:37 AM   #40
Tiffin Owners Club
This problem of death wobble is not just jeep but I found it in my ford truck and my VW Jetta. On the Jetta I used a bungee cord but I did not think that was the problem. What solved the problem on the VW was a new Blue Ox tow bar. Blue Ox was either going to rebuild for hundreds of dollars or replace for about the same price. Towed over 100000 miles and no problem even in Chicago where the streets are as crooked as the people.
On the 2015 jeep trailhawk I purchased the Blue Ox Avail and have towed coast to coast a solid 20000 miles with out a murmur of a death wobble.
My suggestion on the jeep problem is to look at your tow bar for alignment, any worn bushings or broken bolts and repair or replace as necessary.
John Raney
2015 Newmar Essex 4553
JJR1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 06:03 PM   #41
A bungee cord is what most commercial tow drivers use when towing a vehicle with the front end down, back end up.
I also use one on my wife's Tracker when on the dolly. Once the correct tension is achieved it does work well. We did not have bungees in the Army in the 70s so I used a piece of rope, they old manila stuff, still worked.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 09:21 AM   #42
Tow my Wrangler without any issues, but that is oranges and apples! I just get the impression the RV is throwing its weight around causing the Jeep to wobble in response. Once you get the occillation started it can take on a life of its own until you slow. I googled this and got a number of hits regarding this problem with your Jeep and some other vehicles as well. I don't know the answer but taking a look at the RV's suspenders might help. Please be careful.

Phil & Carol & Ariel, Grey Lady
2016 Ram CTD 4X4
2009 Carriage Cameo F35SB3:dance
motojavaphil is offline   Reply With Quote