Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2012, 02:27 PM   #1

Decal "ERASER" wheel issue

Hi all! Other than "checking in" this is my first post. I have not been able to find a thread that dealt with this problem so decided to start my own.

After much research, I opted to use an "Eraser Wheel" to remove the badly worn and peeling decals from my TT. I was VERY pleased with its ability to remove all the decal & adhesive as advertised but, to my dismay, found that the eraser was leaving residue "outside" the edge of the decal (see attached illustration) that is really tough to remove. I DID read and followed all the instructions as to tool speed and angle of attack.

An email to the US manufacturer of the wheel (AES Indus.) has yet to get a response. I was hoping someone here might have had the same problem and could tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks in advance for any help offered!

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Residue Illustration.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	27646  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2012, 02:34 PM   #2

I've always used 91% rubbing alcohol. Spray the area thoroughly and wipe off. I have even used wax and grease remover, many different times.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:43 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildboar View Post
Hi all! Other than "checking in" this is my first post. I have not been able to find a thread that dealt with this problem so decided to start my own.

After much research, I opted to use an "Eraser Wheel" to remove the badly worn and peeling decals from my TT. I was VERY pleased with its ability to remove all the decal & adhesive as advertised but, to my dismay, found that the eraser was leaving residue "outside" the edge of the decal (see attached illustration) that is really tough to remove. I DID read and followed all the instructions as to tool speed and angle of attack.

An email to the US manufacturer of the wheel (AES Indus.) has yet to get a response. I was hoping someone here might have had the same problem and could tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks in advance for any help offered!

Dave

Get the heavy duty one.
Click here: Shop Goof Off 22 Oz. Heavy Duty Spot Remover and Degreaser at Lowes.com
Old 10-14-2012, 03:13 PM   #4

3M adhesive remover sold in quart cans at all good automotive stores. Works like magic on all adhesive problems, and on grease oil or any oil or glue base substance. We use it all the time to take oil are grease off of the shop floors. Also sold in spray cans if you can find it.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:18 PM   #5

Are if you have WD40 laying around, it works good on most sticky problems and oil based gunk. Not as good as 3M, but pretty good. Also works as a starting fluid if you are in a pinch. So people use it on sore joints and muscles and say it works wonders.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:43 PM   #6

unfortunately have a lot of experience removing decals, we have two methods at work one is a propane torch the ones that use the disposable cylinders. this works well if you have the knack for it most don't and will burn the surface the other is the eraser it must turn very slow to not leave residue. is yours air of electric?
i turn ours which is air down to where it is very easy to stall and it leaves no residue but is slow others run it fast and deal with the left over glue mess.
3 m glue remover and patience will clean it up.
the angle of attack is what works for you, you should be able to flip the eraser on the tool if you wear one edge more then the other.
good luck on your project
Old 10-14-2012, 10:10 PM   #7

Many thanks to all for your advice. I think, since the residue is more like discoloration than adhesive, that pwf16129's suggestion to reduce the RPM of the wheel may do the trick. I've been using an electric drill but intend to switch to pneumatic and reduce the pressure as he suggested. I have several yet to remove so will let you all know how it goes.

Thanks again.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:57 PM   #8

Put your hand on the area you are working and keep it cool. Turning the wheel too fast wil generate heat that will make the decal adhesive gummy. Goof-Off works well to get the adhesive off after you get the decal material off.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:18 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
This is very interesting as I plan to remove some old stripes. I hope Wildboar will continue to share his progress and maybe a few pics.

jmugsshow is offline   Reply With Quote