Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2013, 05:24 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Deceiving Advertising

Take caution if ordering from Smith RV in Monroe, Indiana. They are using the old switch-and-bait scheme. Recently I decided to order the Progressive Dynamics Intelli-Power Converter/Charger PD9245. When I researched this product online, I found that it was available in three configurations. I requested clarification from Progressive Dynamics and received an email explanation as follows:
PD9245C = Converter/Charger with built-in Charge Wizard
PD9245CR = Reconditioned Converter/Charger with built-in Charge Wizard
PD9245CV = Converter/Charger with built-in Charge Wizard & Converter Status Remote Pendant
I found the best price for the Converter/Charger at Amazon.com and ordered the part. It was shipped to me by Smith RV. It did not include the Remote Pendant. I called Smith RV and they stated there was no difference between the two configurations. I again confirmed the differences from Progressive Dynamics, who also stated that they were having problems with companies purchasing the PD9245CV and separating the Remote Pendant then selling each separately. They also stated that Smith RV was not an authorized distributor of their products. I again contacted Smith RV, who told me my only recourse was to return the unit. I contacted Amazon.com who simply referred me to the shipper. So, I am out the cost of the Remote Pendant. I could have purchased the unit elsewhere for only a couple of dollars more. Live and learn! Let this be a warning to anyone thinking of purchasing from Smith RV in Monroe, Indiana. By the way, they also sell new and used RV's. If they would do this with inexpensive parts, just imagine what they will do with expensive RVs.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2013, 05:42 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I'm sure you paid for this item with your credit. Call you credit card company and ask them to send you a dispute form. Inform them you will not pay for the item. Your reason is you did not receive the complete item. Also let amazon know just for the grins.

jack r

Old 05-06-2013, 05:43 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Contact the Attorney General for that state. That's know as Fraud....
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:59 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
If you bought it through Amazon, send it back. Go your order history on the Amazon's web site for return process.

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:16 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred and Bonnie View Post
If you bought it through Amazon, send it back. Go your order history on the Amazon's web site for return process.

fred
Yup. And then you are done with it.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:39 PM   #6

Amazon should take care of it. They are very good with issue like that. They usually even pay return shipping.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:59 PM   #7

I'm guessing that the OP is not happy about paying for the return shipping. I understand his anger with Smiths, and I see they are still selling the unit with no mention of it coming with or without the pendant.

I would just buy the pendant ($11 + shpn) and be done with it. JMO. If there's more to this story, I hope the OP let's us know. Sure looks like a Buyer Beware situation, and shame on Smiths for not verifying the model number OR for deliberately misleading consumers.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:20 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
True, I could simply purchase the remote. In fact, my local dealer has it for $9.64 but it is just the fact that Smith RV would take advantage of me. I contacted Amazon and filed a claim against Smith RV. Smith RV again stated that I could return it if I was not happy with it. Amazon stood up for me and pressured Smith RV. In less than an hour later, Smith RV sent me an email changing their stand, stating it was their distributor's mistake, and they had made arrangements to send me the remote. I haven't received it yet. However, they are still advertising a PD9245CV and I don't know whether they are now including the remote. I think they simply got caught by someone who decided to press the issue. BEWARE!
Old 05-08-2013, 06:17 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

There is a difference between buying a product advertised ON Amazon and buying the product shipped by Amazon. If Amazon deliveres it, they take responsbility and pay return shipping. If it is shipped by the seller himself, then you have to deal with the seller. Amazon may lean on them to do the right thing, but that's all they can do.

I see that the Amazon price of $145.10 with free shipping nets out to be $1.13 less than Smith RV's $135 + $11.23 shipping.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:46 AM   #10

Nor'easters Club
Send a message via ICQ to MaxTurner1
Amazon has always protected me and I also use PayPal for added protection. Thanks for the info --- I'll never buy from them.
MaxTurner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:56 AM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I see that the Amazon price of $145.10 with free shipping nets out to be $1.13 less than Smith RV's $135 + $11.23 shipping.
Actually I paid $106, but today I don't find it advertised on Amazon for that price, now $145. However it is still advertised for $106 on EBay.

Progressive Dynamics 45 Amp RV Power Converter Charger PD9245 | eBay