Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2015, 10:32 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Deduct your RV and /or tow vehicle from taxes

Want to write off that new $750,000 motorhome, $75,000 toy hauler and toy, $75,000 tow vehicle ?????

All you have to do is become a farmer or rancher.

You already knew they write off their pickups as "work necessary" even though not too many Lincoln pickups will ever haul a bale of hay. Did you know that Campers, Toy Haulers, and Motorhomes can be written off as "Bunkhouses"???

Not only that, probably most of the fuel used is written off as well

Do any of you think that maybe a change is due in the tax code? With the fraud related to filing taxes why not go to Canada's proven method? Consumption tax, everyone pays the same, totally fair and no way to game the system.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2015, 11:28 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
The rules needs to be changed but they will not.The came after me for $5 late fee because they posted it late. And I paid them in the middle of Feb. the amount I owed.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:34 AM   #3

Jayco Owners Club
So are you saying the three point hitch on the Prevost doesn't qualify as a tractor?
Old 03-05-2015, 11:35 AM   #4

hate to see THAT in the fields
Old 03-05-2015, 11:42 AM   #5

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekenoe View Post
Do any of you think that maybe a change is due in the tax code? With the fraud related to filing taxes why not go to Canada's proven method? Consumption tax, everyone pays the same, totally fair and no way to game the system.
You obviously don't understand what fraud is. These are exemptions written by congressmen who were bribed by special interest groups. There's the fraud.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:52 AM   #6

I wouldn't call it fraud. They talk loudly & often to "our" Congressmen while we say nothing. We get what we deserve & yes, I know "we" all write our Congressmen but 99+% of Americans can't be bothered to do anything buy complain & blame. Sorry for the rant, but it's true.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:27 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Something to remember when you write off that $750,000 motorhome. If you depreciate it then sell it what ever you get for it is considered income. Had a friend who wrote off a high end Newmar. He was always bragging how because of the small business he ran out of it he never paid any taxes. A few years ago he sold the motorhome and Uncle Sam hit him big time. He had to hire an accountant to go back several years and do income averaging but it cost him a pretty penny for the accountant and also the tax bill.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 01:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekenoe View Post
Want to write off that new $750,000 motorhome, $75,000 toy hauler and toy, $75,000 tow vehicle ?????

All you have to do is become a farmer or rancher.

You already knew they write off their pickups as "work necessary" even though not too many Lincoln pickups will ever haul a bale of hay. Did you know that Campers, Toy Haulers, and Motorhomes can be written off as "Bunkhouses"???

Not only that, probably most of the fuel used is written off as well

I have no idea where you got this misguided information, but it is wrong on almost every count. Maybe you have a friend who "got away" with taking the deduction or you heard from a friend of your second cousin's brother in law or wherever this information came from but it is entirely and totally incorrect. Perhaps it came from some who thought that everything is deductible as long as you don't get caught, but they have terms for people who take deductions like this and that term is three to five in the federal penitentiary.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:08 PM   #9

Yeah, those that make those claims as "work necessary" have signed, under penalty of perjury, that they are using it for a legitimate business function and not for personal use.

I am not that good a liar.

Matt B
Old 03-05-2015, 02:27 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
So... If I ran my critter care business out of my motor home...you think I could deduct the gas and the cost of the motorhome? Sorry, that's just funny to me....
MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 04:00 PM   #11

Isn't all that your mobile office that you use to reach clients in far away places? I think you can depreciate all of it. Well maybe not the toyhauler and truck but 750 over 10 years. Hummm 75 grand. lol
Old 03-05-2015, 04:02 PM   #12

The problem with this logic is the use of a standard IRS term called "ordinary and necessary" for any business expense. The entire logic of the original post is that if you don't get caught then it's legal and ignores the premise that if something is too oddball it will get pulled for an audit and it will be caught. Added to that problem is the fact that the IRS is the most aggressive I have ever seen it to be and I've been in practice for over 36 years.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
The problem with this logic is the use of a standard IRS term called "ordinary and necessary" for any business expense. The entire logic of the original post is that if you don't get caught then it's legal and ignores the premise that if something is too oddball it will get pulled for an audit and it will be caught. Added to that problem is the fact that the IRS is the most aggressive I have ever seen it to be and I've been in practice for over 36 years.
Yep, whatever you do, you must prove to the tax auditor when they knock on your door, and you are guilty until proven innocent.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:22 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Not worth it to me to fudge....I wouldn't be a good liar if they questioned me.

Personally, I think the entire country should hold back paying any taxes until all the Reverend(s) pay the 4 million they owe.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow