Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2012, 02:23 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacknchrome View Post
Man you guys are quick to help...thanks..my wife wants to keep the coach warm in the winter..
Always a dangerous question because I have found out the DW is always right regardless of logic but here goes: WHY does she want the coach warm all winter?

I understand wanting it warm on days you will be working in it but it only takes a few minutes (maybe 15) to warm the rig up on days you plan to use it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2012, 05:33 PM   #16

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You all are great

My wife had a kidney transplant this past summer...she wants to visit the motorhome often this winter to stock the stuff we need next spring..She is the boss in my home trust me..

I am going to use your ideas...plan to buy 2 small heaters and place on in the bedroom...on a shelf with a cookie sheet under it..

One in the kitchen same way..plug them into the 110 volt outlets..

I should turn off the battery switch in the compartment so that the inverter does not charge them correct?

Sorry to ask so much...this is all new to me...I think I could learn spanish quicker...

Old 11-20-2012, 06:45 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacknchrome
I should turn off the battery switch in the compartment so that the inverter does not charge them correct?
No need to disconnect the batteries as long as you're hooked up. You only disconnect if you're leaving the coach unplugged (to prevent the batteries from discharging). You won't need to do anything with the inverter either. The inverter is only needed when you're without hookups and you want to generate ac current from your dc batteries (to power ac stuff from your batteries while you're dry camping).

Just leave everything as is, hook up the coach to shore power, plug in the electric heaters and turn them on low setting.

And don't worry...you'll get the hang of it all in no time
Old 11-20-2012, 06:57 PM   #18

Watch using portable heaters. They will not provide heat to the belly of the RV, where holding tanks and some water lines are placed. Read the placard on the furnace to determine the amp draw of the blower motor. Divide that number into 60% of your total battery amperage to find how long you may run the furnace at "constant on". Actual run time will be more than that depending on outside temperature.
Portable electric heaters are not designed to be a main heat source, especially when not monitored. A loose connection in the RV receptacle can/will cause it to build up heat, occasionally to the point of causing a fire. If you're not near enough to hear the smoke alarm you might hear the fire trucks.
I vote for leaving it plugged in to keep the batteries charged, furnace running during cold weather. Which you have to do anyway if planning to use portable electric heaters. The convertor battery charging circuit may be turned off only if it is designed for such usage.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:19 PM   #19
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by az bound View Post
You need to clarify what you are stating. If the 12 volts batteries have a total AH rating higher than two 6 volt batteries the statement does not hold true.
It all depends on the total amp hours.
True it is all about the total amps but proportionally 6 volts have a little advantage for comparable sizes.

Here is a good explanation.

Twelve- or six-volt deep cycle RV batteries : What's best? - YouTube

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:12 PM   #20

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The MH is winterized so I have no water in any of the tanks...was done by the selling RV dealer...
Old 11-20-2012, 10:33 PM   #21

We're using ours this week plugged in & parked in back of the house. Thanksgiving use of the extra frige & oven, plus extra guest room space is just icing on the RV cake. And Taz is right. Those golf cart batteries seem to a good deal more tolerant of accidental abuse than sealed 12v.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:51 PM   #22

If I remember correctly the furnace in my outfit is 40,000BTU and the fan motor draws 11 Amp. Maintaining 55* will suck down your batteries real fast.
1998 Hitchhiker ll, mod#31RLBGBW, RBW L'tl Rocker Hitch, Generac NP50 G generator
richardcoxid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:27 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacknchrome View Post
My wife had a kidney transplant this past summer...she wants to visit the motorhome often this winter to stock the stuff we need next spring..She is the boss in my home trust me..

I am going to use your ideas...plan to buy 2 small heaters and place on in the bedroom...on a shelf with a cookie sheet under it..

One in the kitchen same way..plug them into the 110 volt outlets..

Sorry to ask so much...this is all new to me...I think I could learn spanish quicker...
I would turn off the battery switch as you mentioned.

I keep my RV by my house plugged in but turn the batteries off.

The reason for that is my batteries will run out of water unless I check them every couple weeks.

Everything works fine with the batteries disconnected.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:56 PM   #24

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Portable electric heaters are not designed to be a main heat source, especially when not monitored. A loose connection in the RV receptacle can/will cause it to build up heat, occasionally to the point of causing a fire.
I suppose it's possible but I've been using portable heaters in my RV's for as long as I have been RV'ing. That's over 55 years now and never had a problem. Got two in the MH now, just like the last 10 years in this MH.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:38 AM   #25

Nor'easters Club
Send a message via ICQ to MaxTurner1
Since you are a newbie and I consider myself in that category too, let me pass on a few things I have recently learned. First about keeping your coach from freezing I am using a ceramic space heater when it's going down near freezing. If it's going to mid 20's or worse, I will switch on the gas furnace. Note I am plugged into a recepticle in the garage, so I am limited to below 30 amps.

We bought our new to us coach and it had two "deep cycle" batteries in the battery compartment and room for another house battery. Did some checking and learned the sticker on the new batteries mean nothing. Both were plain jane cranking batteries and the one for the coach used up it's cycles quickly. So I replaced it with a pair of "real deep cycle" batteries and they're about three inches longer. Much heavier. I reused one of the batteries for starting. Oh - there are only three (3) battery makers in the U.S. They are Johnson Controls, Dekka and Exide. All others are "who knows what, imports from China, Russia and of course Japan.
Get an older battery expert to look at what you have. I thought all was well until I learned the new batteries the dealer installed, were not deep cycle, were not worth much money. Dekka has warehouses all over the country and may have 2nds available. They're fine. Really new with a ding or something. They had to add the acid, charge and dust off.... but wow do I have power now.
Hate to say it, be careful about who you trust....anyone can have stickers made.
MaxTurner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:05 AM   #26

iRV2 No Limits Club
Not mentioned is the need to monitor batteries and state of charge (SOC) Best method is using a Trimetric or Victron battery monitor. One alternative not mentioned is a less amp hungry furnace/heater. i.e. Espar/Eberspacher diesel or gas heater.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:22 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I would turn off the battery switch as you mentioned.

I keep my RV by my house plugged in but turn the batteries off.

The reason for that is my batteries will run out of water unless I check them every couple weeks.

Everything works fine with the batteries disconnected.
Sounds like either you have a problem w/ your batteries or a problem w/ your charger (overcharging the batteries). No way batteries should run out of water every few weeks. A proper charger will just keep a float charge on them which will not boil off any water. In our 1st 2 years of fulltiming we never disconnected our batteries and only filled a little water once/year or so. We checked state of charge every month w/ a hydrometer & there was never any issue. Certainly doesn't hurt to turn off the batteries, but they shouldn't be over-boiling like that even on an external charge.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:16 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
Sounds like either you have a problem w/ your batteries or a problem w/ your charger (overcharging the batteries). No way batteries should run out of water every few weeks. A proper charger will just keep a float charge on them which will not boil off any water. In our 1st 2 years of fulltiming we never disconnected our batteries and only filled a little water once/year or so. We checked state of charge every month w/ a hydrometer & there was never any issue. Certainly doesn't hurt to turn off the batteries, but they shouldn't be over-boiling like that even on an external charge.
Just replaced my batteries a year or so ago and haven't had the problem so much with the new ones but I've gotten into the habit of shutting them off. The old "Ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" saying applies here.
The old batteries had a couple weak cells according to my hydrometer. I think a hydrometer is a good investment ($10) for any RVer. Especially if you are having battery problems.

Tags
batteries