Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2012, 08:39 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Deep cycle Batteries and using heat in the coach

Ok...I am a newbee...I bought a 2000 HR Endeavor...this past saturday...have it stored at a friends secured lot...drove it 120 miles on Saturday to get use to driving it..

I left the heat set at 55 deg on the in floor furnace...today only 2 days since I was last in it..the batteries are very low on power...i did not have it plugged in...but the furnace was on...

Should that furnace pull the power out of the batteries that fast...night time temps here are 30s and daytime..50s..

I did plug it in tonight..should i leave it plugged all the time if using the furnace? Should I turn the furnace off and not keep some heat in the unit over the winter?

Help...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2012, 08:50 PM   #2
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Heating you rig all winter can get costly if you are not in it. A couple days of the fan run ing can drain your batteries. If you don't plan to use it for a while then I would winterize it. Just my .02

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:51 PM   #3

Your furnace blower is powered by 12vdc and if running for a substantial amount of time without the inverter keeping the batteries charged they will drain down.

By keeping your coach plugged into shore power your inverter will keep the batteries charged and also prevent them from freezing. You should check the water level in your batteries once or twice a month.

If your furnace will be running for a long period of time, you'll also need to periodically check your propane supply.

If you have a lower temp setting on your thermostat you could probably set it at a temp lower than 55 and still keep things from freezing.

Best of luck, and safe travels....

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:57 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Man you guys are quick to help...thanks..my wife wants to keep the coach warm in the winter..I can lower I think to 50 or so...it is winterized but we are new to the RV life and plan to use it all the time...no camping at this time...we are planning to work on the inside this winter and put stuff for next spring in the unit..what do people think of the sealed Deep Cycle batteries?
Old 11-19-2012, 09:05 PM   #5
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Two six volt in series is always better than 12 volt in parallel. I prefer the unsealed. They seem to hold a longer charge. We have ours parked outside and spend time modifying every winter. We put a small radiator heater in it. Just put in a wall mounted radiant heater that I need to post some pictures of. The furnace drains the propain and my tank won't last all winter. If we are working in it we will turn on the furnace for the day.

Good luck!

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:29 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
if you can leave it plugged up you can get ceramic heater or 2 and put one in each end on low and should be cheaper than using the propane
Old 11-19-2012, 10:26 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The batteries will run down quickly with the furnace blower running as you discovered.

As others suggested use a small electric heater which is what we do when camping in cold weather. Then when you are going to be in it working fire up the furnace and warm it up a bit.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:52 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland
The batteries will run down quickly with the furnace blower running as you discovered.

As others suggested use a small electric heater which is what we do when camping in cold weather. Then when you are going to be in it working fire up the furnace and warm it up a bit.
Ditto. That would be my recommendation too. With hookups and an electric heater you won't need to worry about the propane running out either. Just keep the rig plugged in and the electric heater on low.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:36 AM   #9

Since you're winterized there's really no need to waste resources keeping the rig warm. Keeping it plugged in to continue to charge the batteries is not necessary, either, as long as they are fully charged and will hold a charge while winterized. In other words, not old worn out batteries.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:00 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphie View Post
Since you're winterized there's really no need to waste resources keeping the rig warm. Keeping it plugged in to continue to charge the batteries is not necessary, either, as long as they are fully charged and will hold a charge while winterized. In other words, not old worn out batteries.
If he doesn't hook-up he's got to make sure to disconnect the batteries. There should be a battery disconnect somewhere in the coach. Otherwise phantom draw of the coach will eventually suck down those batteries even with nothing else on.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:20 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
Two six volt in series is always better than 12 volt in parallel. I prefer the unsealed. They seem to hold a longer charge. We have ours parked outside and spend time modifying every winter. We put a small radiator heater in it. Just put in a wall mounted radiant heater that I need to post some pictures of. The furnace drains the propain and my tank won't last all winter. If we are working in it we will turn on the furnace for the day.

Good luck!
You need to clarify what you are stating. If the 12 volts batteries have a total AH rating higher than two 6 volt batteries the statement does not hold true.
It all depends on the total amp hours.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:31 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesimmons View Post
if you can leave it plugged up you can get ceramic heater or 2 and put one in each end on low and should be cheaper than using the propane
if you go this route - ensure they have the 'tip over' cut off - a really sensible safety feature.

I would also leave cupboard doors open so that the heat gets to the pipes if you think you have water in them.

I still think that winterizing the pipes either with anti-freeze or blowing them out - will probably save tears later.

JM2CW

Stephen
1999 Tradition.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:03 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Normal design considerations are one night on batteries, re-charge during day.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
If he doesn't hook-up he's got to make sure to disconnect the batteries. There should be a battery disconnect somewhere in the coach. Otherwise phantom draw of the coach will eventually suck down those batteries even with nothing else on.
Thanks, I forgot to mention disconnecting.

ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries