Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2016, 08:42 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Traveler View Post
Running in dark and at dusk or dawn deer are one of my biggest concerns. Has anyone used "deer whistles" ... And do you think they really work???
MN_Traveler
I'll let you be the judge.

I bought a pair of deer whistles 4 years ago at a garage sale but never put them on....(they're still in the glove compartment of my car).

I've not hit a deer with that car, (however I did hit one with my wife's car last year).

Mel
'96 Safari, from WI
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2016, 09:00 AM   #16

Deer whistles have very tiny orifices. One bug or a bit of dirt etc make them tiny ornaments. Have you checked yours?
Will a deer hear that tiny gizmo over the sound of running through brush or the combined noises of a vehicle exhaust, wind, and tires etc?
I would slow down at night, but I no longer drive at night.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 09:07 AM   #17

Jayco Owners Club
After my Mother passed away, I got her car. I started to clean it up and discovered she had installed deer whistles herself. She mounted them on her dash. Thought that was funny because it is air making the whistles sound.
RWeigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 09:32 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
In Australia they have the same problem with Kangaroos.

My daughter just went there on a business trip and I asked her if she saw a Kangaroo.

She said she saw lots of them...dead along the road.
Do they sell "kangaroo whistles" in Australia?
Old 09-04-2016, 09:33 AM   #19

Wisconsin has a very large deer population (10-12 million). The number one cause of single vehicle accidents is car/truck colliding with deer. I'm sure that if deer whistles worked they would be mandated by the insurance industry or at the very least offer a discount for having them on your vehicle.
Pickelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 09:40 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickelhead View Post
Wisconsin has a very large deer population (10-12 million). The number one cause of single vehicle accidents is car/truck colliding with deer. I'm sure that if deer whistles worked they would be mandated by the insurance industry or at the very least offer a discount for having them on your vehicle.
Pickelhead.

It seems those using deer whistles and those NOT using them have similar experiences.

Like most gizmos and gadgets methinks deer whistles do more for the seller than they do for the buyer.

(Fortunately a pair only costs a few bucks).
Old 09-04-2016, 09:43 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
Have you ever seen a MH or Vehicle that hit a deer or moose, it's not a pretty sight. The deer or moose is not going to win, but the MH or other type vehicle will be significantly damaged if hit head on.
X3

Buddy hit a cow with his HR aluma-lite back in the day when they had cavernous front ends with empty space in front of the radiator. That motorhome swallowed that cow, with nothing showing out the front but hooves and legs. The cow was laying across the front frame and was alive! He tried everything to try to pull it out but couldn't budge it. He had to drive to town (before cell phones) with the front axle bottomed out and stopping periodically to let it cool down because no flow through the radiator. Wrecker and a vet saved the cow. Motorhome looked like Jaws!
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 09:48 AM   #22

Yes they absolutely work, some of the time. I've seen deer look up & freeze, others turn & run away from the road. Other deer continue on into the road. They work well enough to be worth a few bucks. (pun, I guess).
old woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 10:03 AM   #23

I lived in Wyoming a number of years in a part of the state where we saw deer, antelope, wild turkey etc every day. Most Wyoming roads are of the two lane variety and go where there is little population as the entire state is just a little over 500,000 population, the least populated in the US. Combine that with its also the 6th largest state in the lower 48 and you understand BIG game outnumbers humans 10 to 1!

Deer have to be one of the stupidest animals on God's green earth. If they're on the side of the road you better go 3 to 5 mph until you pass them. I can't begin to tell you the number of times one or more would jump right in front of you and going any faster and you'd hit them. Unlike cattle that will walk away and stay away from a vehicle. Not deer, I swear there are times the talk among themselves and say "hey there's a big vehicle lets jump in front of it"!

As for driving 5 mph in deer country that doesn't work in Wyoming. You'd never get out of the state! There's only one answer and that is follow the speed signs, pay attention to the Deer Crossing signs and be alert! Deer whistle, I think not!

There is a road, highway 14, between Cody and Thermopolis, Wyoming and it doesn't have your standard Deer Crossing sign. No it doesn't... The sign you see is about double the size of the standard sign with flags on top and the "Deer Crossing" letters are made up of lights so night and day you can't miss it. Caution folks, deer are not impressed with these signs!!! When you see it your first thought is "Wow, they must have some deer around here"! And deer they have, along with all kinds of hills, turns and brush on the side of the road to hide them. And deer are fast folks, if startled they will jump 10 feet in the air and hit the ground at 50 miles an hour. Yes, more nimble than a 45' diesel pusher!

Sometimes you can't see them and its just the luck of the draw not hitting them. But when you do see them slowwwwwwww downnnnnnnn! As said earlier, a deer will flat tear up your vehicle regardless of what you're driving and it ain't purdy!
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 11:54 AM   #24

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I live in the Ozarks and have whistles on both my vehicles. Often times I see deer look up when approaching. Don't know if they really work or not, but for $4, I'll take the risk.
BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 12:41 PM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
I've been a deer hunter in AL for many years. I have had many encounters but haven't hit one - yet. I've observed them and how they react to different things when bored. I carried a spotlight to my stand before daylight and shown it on them to see what happened. Most will freeze in place and stare at the light. Then they take off, in the direction of the light in probably 80 percent of the time. The other 20 percent take off at an angle away from it. Another experiment I took a dog whistle. They definitely heard that and flew off in all directions. Guess they couldn't tell exactly which direction it came from. I clacked two sticks together and they froze, then ran the other direction. Point is, even if you think the whistle will drive them away, don't count on it. I watched these animals for many years and they are totally unpredictable. They may run into the woods, then turn right around and run out toward you. Does are more unpredictable than bucks. Bucks are a lot more cautious. My solution is to avoid driving at night in a wooded area. We settle the coach somewhere before dark. In my car on a road without much traffic I drive slower than normal and watch for the eyes. I've been around these animals enough to know not to trust one even a little.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 04:26 PM   #26

I have used them in the 1980's, again in the 1990's.

again around 2003..

I ride a motorcycle alot.. deer only does a little damage to a car compared to hitting one on a motorcycle.. 2002 my friend Walter K.. died when a deer jumped out of bushes near a freeway. and he had them on his bike.

they are a complete LOSS of money. and time... useless. even kept clean.
Chuck_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 04:34 PM   #27

Many years ago_now, Farm Bureau insurance used to even sell deer whistles at county offices. From their accident reports in subsequent years, they determined whistles did not reduce damage claims and stopped selling them, or recommending them.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 04:51 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote