Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2016, 05:18 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Many years ago_now, Farm Bureau insurance used to even sell deer whistles at county offices. From their accident reports in subsequent years, they determined whistles did not reduce damage claims and stopped selling them, or recommending them.
Ahhh. thank you all for your comments. (I really did not expect to get so many takers on this question . I think this latest comment by Ray probably sums it up ... if insurance decided it is not worth it you gotta believe them (??) . Thanks again all for engaging in this discussion ... the whistles the sales-guy was trying to sell me have been returned unopened.....

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2016, 06:00 PM   #30

I see interstate trucks with bull bars and other game and brush guards all the time. I rarely see, as a matter of fact, cannot ever remember seeing one with deer whistles.

Those tubular steel grill protectors are very expensive. I gotta believe that at some point, there is some justification for them.

At 5 bucks, I gotta believe if they worked, we would have some real evidence somewhere...

Now, I do not believe I have ever seen a MH with a bull bar or brush bar...

I have one on my SUV. (I work in the field, as a solar inverter technician). I wonder if they may be of value on the MH...

KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 07:33 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
I see interstate trucks with bull bars and other game and brush guards all the time. I rarely see, as a matter of fact, cannot ever remember seeing one with deer whistles.

Those tubular steel grill protectors are very expensive. I gotta believe that at some point, there is some justification for them.

At 5 bucks, I gotta believe if they worked, we would have some real evidence somewhere...

Now, I do not believe I have ever seen a MH with a bull bar or brush bar...

I have one on my SUV. (I work in the field, as a solar inverter technician). I wonder if they may be of value on the MH...
Several months ago one man posted pictures here of his MH with many modifications, one was a bull bar. Wish I could remember the thread.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 11:34 PM   #32

Greyhound bus lines tried those deer whistles but found out accident reports never really went down from use. So they quit buying them years ago. Nice try. When those dumb deer decide to jump in front of a truck or bus there is going to be some damage to vehicle and probably death to deer. Wonder if they would jump in front of a G.I. Tank? I bet they would.
Old 09-05-2016, 12:23 AM   #33

New Horizons Owners Club
They do a good job of calling deer to you.
CDWatkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 01:28 AM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
, Tried a deer whistle in bar once, beer works better
Old 09-05-2016, 03:54 AM   #35

Deer whistles

I still don't see what harm they would do for only $6 on a $150,000 MH?
Old 09-05-2016, 05:26 AM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
I was thinking, what would Myth Busters do?

So here is the experiment, all I have is a beer bottle. So a deer whistle is pointed " into the wind" So I blow and blow, and blow as hard as I can into the beer bottle, to simulate the deer whistle, and what do I get? Real Dizzy.

Example # 2: if I blow across the top of the beer bottle, I get a sound.

So, all you nay Sayers; the problem is your deer whistles are mounted in the wrong direction!!!
Old 09-05-2016, 05:15 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
In Australia they have the same problem with Kangaroos.

My daughter just went there on a business trip and I asked her if she saw a Kangaroo.

She said she saw lots of them...dead along the road.
so apparently deer whistles don't work for kangaroos lol
Old 09-06-2016, 11:34 AM   #38

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
They should put motor vehicle whistles on the deer so we can tell when the deer are near and avoid them.

Glenn
Old 09-13-2016, 08:48 PM   #39

Nay-sayers beware! Been running deer whistles on my POV's (and rigs) for many years. Option of "don't drive at night" doesn't apply when you are the one responding to the wrecks. Do they work? I believe in them. They are NOT intended to "scare" deer, etc. away. They are intended to alert the beasts of approaching vehicles. I have witnessed a small herd of deer grazing on the side of the road. Cars fly past, they graze. I get closer, they stop grazing and look around. Can I prove they work? Nope. Will I continue to invest the $5 that *may* afford some protection/defense? Absolutely. Feel free not to use them - fewer distractions for the deer - maybe they will be more inclined to notice my approach. I'll still slow down! ST

2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P, 1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC, 1989-1993 Tents!
Loggenrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 04:38 PM   #40

I installed a pair of these deer whistles on my bumper, drove from Southern Ontario to Santa Barbara, California and just drove back to Southern Ontario. I drove during daylight and nighttime and NOT a single deer in sight!!
So they do work!!!!!!
Old 02-01-2017, 05:18 PM   #41

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha99 View Post
180 lb. Deer vs. 35,000 lb. Motorhome.

I'm not worried.
Well go ahead and hit one. I'm sure all that fiberglass the front is made out of will protect you
Old 02-01-2017, 05:29 PM   #42

Living in the self proclaimed 'Deer Capital of Georgia', I can say, without a doubt, NO, they do not work.