Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2016, 09:50 PM   #1

Deer whistles

Running in dark and at dusk or dawn deer are one of my biggest concerns. Has anyone used "deer whistles" ... And do you think they really work???
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2016, 09:56 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
180 lb. Deer vs. 35,000 lb. Motorhome.

I'm not worried.
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 10:12 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
No I do not believe they work. Just a gimmick.

Funny story - worked for a major oil company, safety advisor mandated we all install deer whistles on our company cars. Two weeks later the safety advisor hit a deer with his "deer whistle equipped car" - we all took them off....

Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 10:33 PM   #4

Honestly don't think they work. That being said, a good set of driving lights and slowing down 5 mph, especially in deer or elk country gives me a warm fuzzy.
Old 09-03-2016, 10:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsekr View Post
Honestly don't think they work. That being said, a good set of driving lights and slowing down 5 mph, especially in deer or elk country gives me a warm fuzzy.
I know some will balk, but I run with them, many times the DW otherwise known as the deer lookout person will spot one at the side of the road, at the same time the deer will suddenly look up as we approach, yea I believe. 185 lbs is a baby and will still do damage, its that 400lb 4 point that decides to jump through your windshield that might do some damage. For 5 bucks I'll take my chance, guarantee damage from a deer will cost more than that.
dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 11:15 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Google a phrase like "do deer whistles work" you will find many stories and even research papers claiming that they are ineffective.

Mostly a marketing ploy to separate you from your money.

Let me google that for you
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 11:37 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
The term deer in the headlights ? Deer are pretty dumb . I've hit a couple with my company tractor they don't run when surprised they freeze for a bit then run ! normally just as your about to drive around and miss them, they run into your altered path. Personal experience x2 . I Don't believe the"whistles" work. Slowing down and having good lighting helps give you a chance to slow down or stop in time ... Maybe.
The best choice is stay off the road at night :-)
Old 09-03-2016, 11:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha99 View Post

I'm not worried.
Have you ever seen a MH or Vehicle that hit a deer or moose, it's not a pretty sight. The deer or moose is not going to win, but the MH or other type vehicle will be significantly damaged if hit head on.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 12:21 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In Australia they have the same problem with Kangaroos.

My daughter just went there on a business trip and I asked her if she saw a Kangaroo.

She said she saw lots of them...dead along the road.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 07:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
Have you ever seen a MH or Vehicle that hit a deer or moose, it's not a pretty sight. The deer or moose is not going to win, but the MH or other type vehicle will be significantly damaged if hit head on.

x2 on the damage being the concern (esp headlights, which can stop you from running). I have also always thought these were ineffective ... But had a guy at autozone push hard on their being a good idea. Thanks for the backup 😀.

Moose though - ack- I don't even want to THINK about having one of those in my path. Funny - in NH they have posted signs saying "brake for Moose" ... Like, what else would someone in their right mind do?????
Old 09-04-2016, 07:19 AM   #11

Quote:

I'm not worried.
I don't know if they work or not, but you will sustain significant damage to your MH if you hit one. Just hope it doesn't jump prior to getting hit and come through the windshield. I have seen that happen, fortunately not to me.
Old 09-04-2016, 07:33 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:

I'm not worried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
This. While I will agree, if hitting a white tail doe it might not be as bad due to small size and weight, the vibrations that hitting an object can make could cause seals to break, plastic to crack, windows to crack, momentary steering jitters, plus if it goes underneath your MH as you ride along.. those boney legs would do serious damage to brake and fuel lines, propane lines, and would snag any and all wires imagineable. The newer the coach, the more wires in most cases.

The only animal I will not make an active attempt to avoid is a chipmunk or other small rodent. I will move if I can do so safely for rabbits+. Even small creatures will at the very least make a mess.

I run one of these on my rig. They are extremely helpful.

I run one of these on my toad, 2014 ford edge.

I live in moose country. I have avoided 2 moose because of seeing them early on the suv, and 1 on the MH on our trip out east last summer.

For a couple hundred bucks, how much is your life worth? Wife, kids, pets?
superk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 08:05 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Traveler View Post
Running in dark and at dusk or dawn deer are one of my biggest concerns. Has anyone used "deer whistles" ... And do you think they really work???
I hit a deer two years ago and it took out the bottom of the front end of the coach. We were on deer watch and this thing came out of nowhere. It did not even slow us down except for the repairs that took 3 months.

I put deer whistles on the coach and the car. Coming out of the Dells last year there was a deer in the road and it looked up as we approached and then went back the way it came. Did the whistles do that? I do not know but I am giving them credit. I had the same experience in the car at dusk where there were deer standing in the road and they turned around and went back into the woods. (I slowed way down both times to make sure the deer were gone.)

Do the whistles work? I think they do, and for 4.99 what is the hurt.
Old 09-04-2016, 08:20 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcurt23 View Post
I hit a deer two years ago and it took out the bottom of the front end of the coach. We were on deer watch and this thing came out of nowhere. It did not even slow us down except for the repairs that took 3 months.

I put deer whistles on the coach and the car. Coming out of the Dells last year there was a deer in the road and it looked up as we approached and then went back the way it came. Did the whistles do that? I do not know but I am giving them credit. I had the same experience in the car at dusk where there were deer standing in the road and they turned around and went back into the woods. (I slowed way down both times to make sure the deer were gone.)

Do the whistles work? I think they do, and for 4.99 what is the hurt.
I have not hit an animal but I have whistles on the MH and the Toad and have had a number of encounters like this one. Is that because of the whistles? Darned if I know for sure but I check them often to make sure they aren't plugged with bugs and they will stay on the vehicles.