Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2014, 02:03 PM   #29

It operates the jacks & also the two front slides.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2014, 07:17 AM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Camping Cajun; I did not realize the front slides were hydraulic, as a matter of fact the sales person told me they were electric. As I have said to my DW a few times, the sales people can't be expected to know or remember all the details, it's up to us to research with due diligence.

Old 12-02-2014, 09:03 AM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HR2004 View Post
Not to mess up the thread but: our 04 HR Endevour with 8.3 Cummins does not use DEF.. What if you had a vehicle that used DEF and you did not use it.. What happens to the engine etc.. Just curious.. our 09 6.4 ford F250 did not use DEF either.
The 2010 EPA standard requires DEF as a first phase of the new standard. My coach has the DEF and is on a later year 2010 chassis. I get 20hp more than the same coach without DEF. If I don't use the stuff the engine will go into "limp mode" until I add it to the special tank.

Buying this stuff off the shelf does increase the price significantly but getting it from a pump is often a problem. I have only done this twice. The last time I had to wait for the trucker in the lane to my right to finish filling. The counter than activated the DEF pump for me and I crossed the hose into my lane to fill the DEF tank. Getting the DEF into the fuel tank takes major work. They are on opposite ends of the coach.

I get about 1000 to 1200 miles per 10 gal (I think) tank.

And it stinks.

I think I have covered most of the topic through my experiences. It really is NBD and I don't even know when the scrubber is working. The exhaust gets to about 1200* when the system is running but I see no problems with that. My stone cover for the towed seems unharmed.

Happy trails.

Rick Y

Hope I covered it all
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 09:11 AM   #32

Entegra Owners Club
"Buying this stuff off the shelf does increase the price significantly but getting it from a pump is often a problem."

Not a problem for me. I just save my now empty store-bought DEF container and refill it at the pump. Put it in the the toad or storage compartment and fill the DEF tank next time I stop for the night. Costs about half of what it costs to buy at the store and is easy as pie.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:25 AM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
"Buying this stuff off the shelf does increase the price significantly but getting it from a pump is often a problem."

Not a problem for me. I just save my now empty store-bought DEF container and fill it at the pump. Put it in the the toad or storage compartment and fill the DEF tank next time I stop for the night. Costs about half of what it costs to buy at the store and is easy as pie.
The last time i filled my DEF tank, I found the truck stop had several of the orange traffic cones sitting around so they can occasionally shut off a lane if needed. I placed one of the cones at the back of my MH to keep truckers from lining up behind me and after filling my fuel I turned my RV around and drove back into the lane and filled my DEF. Worked out just fine and it was the suggested method from the clerk at the cash register!
Old 12-02-2014, 09:32 AM   #34

Entegra Owners Club
I'm sure the truckers will love you for that. Don't try it when the place is busy.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:36 AM   #35
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
...I get about 1000 to 1200 miles per 10 gal (I think) tank...
I'm thinking you misspoke and meant to say "per 2.5 gallons of DEF"? What you've stated would be at least 4 times the DEF usage most are reporting and what I am experiencing.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:21 AM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
I'm sure the truckers will love you for that. Don't try it when the place is busy.
It's like going into Wal Mart or the grocery store, no matter what line you pick,that is the one where the person in front of you needs a price check and you wait until the clerk calls back for the department to answer!
At least putting out the cone lets them know you may take a bit longer! My money is as good as theirs! Plus the suggestion came from the folks that runs the business and part of the reason the place is busy is because I was in there spending my money as well!
Being a retired trucker, I seldom find most of them will acommodate others no different than any other portion of our society.
Old 12-03-2014, 02:29 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
I'm thinking you misspoke and meant to say "per 2.5 gallons of DEF"? What you've stated would be at least 4 times the DEF usage most are reporting and what I am experiencing.
You could be correct. I have not had the coach long enough or put enough miles on it to really know for certain.

What MRUSA14 does is ok but DEF STINKS! I don't want it in my car or coach compartments. Might work for you but not me.

Blocking a lane to do a turnaround? The last time I got DEF I was told I could NOT come in the opposite direction. I had to wait for the adjacent lane to be freed to get my DEF. Still closed the lane to diesel but not for long.

No mater how you look at it, DEF is not always easy to put in you coach. I think it is too bad the the chassis manufactures (Freightliner in my case) didn't do a better job finding out what the truck stops were going to do.
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
Old 12-03-2014, 06:31 PM   #38

DEF is not the only emissions "game in town".
Many have used DPF and EGRs for years. Those are diesel particulate filters and exhaust gas recirculator. I will say DEF is least harmful to the engine, but just because your diesel doesn't use DEF, doesn't mean it is not regulated to the same level. 2012 was the last year Ram used DPFs on the Cummins. Now they are all DEFs.
Best efficiency and long engine life is of course, none of this stuff!
Old 12-03-2014, 08:34 PM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
We have DEF. I find it is a bit bothersome but I only have to fill the tank every third fill. Our tank is on the drivers side but at the back. It takes about $12 to fill the tank. We are making 8+ with a 48,000 rig.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:32 AM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
0.0083 gpm is too much?? As I understand it, the scrubber activates on a as needed basis. I have done much of my traveling in hilly and mountainous areas so I am thinking the system would need to work harder because more dirty exhaust would be passing through when I was using more fuel per mile. This type of system is all new to me so I may be thinking wrong.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:55 AM   #41
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
0.0083 gpm is too much?? As I understand it, the scrubber activates on a as needed basis. I have done much of my traveling in hilly and mountainous areas so I am thinking the system would need to work harder because more dirty exhaust would be passing through when I was using more fuel per mile. This type of system is all new to me so I may be thinking wrong.
You'll also be using more fuel in those conditions, I'd think it would even out some. Maybe the percentage use of DEF goes up under those conditions, I don't know, but at 10 gallons of DEF to 1000 miles that would be about 7% DEF to fuel (assuming 7 miles to the gallon of fuel). Cummins estimates an average of 2% and we've been averaging just under that with a mix of mountains and prairie.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 10:35 AM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
You'll also be using more fuel in those conditions, I'd think it would even out some. Maybe the percentage use of DEF goes up under those conditions, I don't know, but at 10 gallons of DEF to 1000 miles that would be about 7% DEF to fuel (assuming 7 miles to the gallon of fuel). Cummins estimates an average of 2% and we've been averaging just under that with a mix of mountains and prairie.
Jay, I will do a better job of keeping tract of how much I use and how often I fill. We have not traveled far enough in this coach yet. I have bought it off the shelf because I didn't know where I would be able to find a pump. I have just learned about cross lane pumping. I was able to fill the fuel and DEF on my last stop. Now will be the first time I can do a true comparison. You may be correct in your math. I have taken your challenge.

Happy trails.

Rick Y