Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2014, 07:39 AM   #15

Thanks for all the interest. I didn't treat these tires any differently than any others i had. I've never experienced checking on any other tire mfgr. We're enbarking on a considerable amount of travel over the next year & i'm not going to start out worrying about my tires.

jimws is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2014, 08:36 AM   #16

Defective Michelin Tires - Total Disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimws View Post
Thanks for all the interest. I didn't treat these tires any differently than any others i had. I've never experienced checking on any other tire mfgr. We're enbarking on a considerable amount of travel over the next year & i'm not going to start out worrying about my tires.

You have an 07 truck and replaced tires in 2010. What went bad with them? What brand were they?

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 08:46 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post

I don't care what Michelin says I would never operate tires that looked like that.
smiller
My 3yr 4mo old, (12,000 mile), Michelins "look like that"!
However I can't afford new tires every 3-4 years ..... and Michelin doesn't care ....(the Michelin Limited Warranty Coverage specifically EXCLUDES "ozone or weather cracking")

Unless you are willing to operate tires that "look like that", (or can afford to buy new tires every 3-4 years), don't buy Michelins.

BTW. the previous 2 sets of 6 Goodyear tires on my coach had no sidewall cracks when I replaced them at 8 and 7 years old.

Mel
'96 Safari, 134k miles
Old 09-21-2014, 09:03 AM   #18

Foretravel Owners Club
WHY NOT PROVIDE A PHOTO OF THE DATE CODE SINCE YOU LOVE PICTURES .?
Dave M
Genset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 11:27 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genset View Post
WHY NOT PROVIDE A PHOTO OF THE DATE CODE SINCE YOU LOVE PICTURES .?
Dave M
Genset
WHY NOT take his WORD FOR the date code ?
Do you have reason to believe he's a LIAR?
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 09-21-2014, 11:33 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
smiller
My 3yr 4mo old, (12,000 mile), Michelins "look like that"!
However I can't afford new tires every 3-4 years ..... and Michelin doesn't care ....(the Michelin Limited Warranty Coverage specifically EXCLUDES "ozone or weather cracking")

Unless you are willing to operate tires that "look like that", (or can afford to buy new tires every 3-4 years), don't buy Michelins.

BTW. the previous 2 sets of 6 Goodyear tires on my coach had no sidewall cracks when I replaced them at 8 and 7 years old.
Weather cracking can be harmless just as Michelin states, the problem is that it's difficult to know for certain whether the cracking is purely cosmetic or the result of another problem.
Old 09-21-2014, 11:48 AM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
Weather cracking can be harmless just as Michelin states, the problem is that it's difficult to know for certain whether the cracking is purely cosmetic or the result of another problem.
Good point..

Who makes tires for smaller tt's. 14" tires

Making a trip to AK. in 16'. Have a 2013 trailer that was bought in March 2012. Want to upgrade to a better tire for the trip. I now have tires made in China now (Akuret ST 205 / 75R 14). Was told to get a US made tire like Michelin or Goodyear...

What to do?
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 12:05 PM   #22

I personally would not knowingly buy any tire made in China. China cannot even be trusted to make safe baby food.

Whatever you do buy, buy a load range higher as long as your rims are the proper width and rated for the tire pressure to take advantage of the higher load range. JMHO.
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 12:49 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Good point..

Who makes tires for smaller tt's. 14" tires

Making a trip to AK. in 16'. Have a 2013 trailer that was bought in March 2012. Want to upgrade to a better tire for the trip. I now have tires made in China now (Akuret ST 205 / 75R 14). Was told to get a US made tire like Michelin or Goodyear...

What to do?
For 14" tires, many use Kumho 857 on their trailers.
Old 09-21-2014, 12:50 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
I have two Michelin tires model XZA-2 Energy size 295/80R/22.5 on my steer axle with DOT codes of early 2010 as they were installed in April of 2010.

There are no cracks whatsoever. So you cannot lump a sidewall crack problem into a brand.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=30

Personally this is not a widespread problem with ALL Michelin tires. It most likely is model dependent or something else is happening.

My drive axle tires are Bridgestone and they look the same as the Michelin's, no worse or no better and they were all put on the same day.

The only documented problem that I have seen is with the Goodyear RV G-670 tires that have been mounted on the steer axle. It is called "Rivering" or "Erosion Wear" problem and has happened in some cases, not all. Usually the correction is to add an extra 10 lbs or put them on the drive axle.

http://www.kaltire.com/commercial/tr...ar-conditions/

Tires are a personal choice and truthfully you will find as many people that do not like a certain brand as you will that do.

If you don't like a specific brand, switch to something that you do. God knows that there and many brands to choose from.

Here is a great site that has tons of technical information regarding tires.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/tiretech.jsp

I would suggest bookmarking it for future use.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 09-21-2014, 12:51 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
I can't speak for Michellins on trailers yet, because mine have only been on there for 2 years and 15K mi. I have read about the cracking so I keep a good tire dressing on them and the RV is under shelter where they only get about 10% sunlight. I can speak for them on high mileage pickups. I have been driving 3/4 and 1 ton diesel pickups for work for the last 31 years. I average about 40K / year, with a lot of off road driving. I have used many sets of BF Goodrich T/A's, Dunlop, Cooper, Goodyear, Firestone, Nitto, and a few others, averaging about 40K Mi, or 1 set / year. I finally decided to try a set of Michellins LTX A/T-2's (pricey) on my previous Chevy. I didn't replace the 1st set until after 64K mi, and only becaues I was about to head out on a 3500 mi towing trip. I could easily have gotten 70-75K out of them. I sold that Chevy with the 2nd set and 54K mi, and they still looked good. No other tire I have ever ran on this class of pickup has even come close to that kind of mileage. By far the lowest cost/mile, so we started running them on all of our crew trucks too.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 02:37 PM   #26

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Michelin tire guide says the service life of RV tires is 10 years but they should be checked yearly after 5 years.
See HERE
Old 09-21-2014, 02:39 PM   #27

Foretravel Owners Club
After 30 yrs of enjoying the rv lifestyle, I have developed the opinion that financial secure folks tend to use the Michelin, others are always trying to beat the odds, hoping a cheaper brand is better. Always bad mouthing and not accurate with the facts, just lean toward their idas.
Dave M
Genset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 02:57 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genset View Post
After 30 yrs of enjoying the rv lifestyle, I have developed the opinion that financial secure folks tend to use the Michelin, others are always trying to beat the odds, hoping a cheaper brand is better.
I would agree that Michelin is by-and-large a quality product, certainly among the best. But I disagree that using any other brand represents 'trying to beat the odds.' There are a number of poor tire brands out there, and a number of good ones.

Tags
tires