Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2014, 05:42 PM   #29

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
For 14" tires, many use Kumho 857 on their trailers.
This sounds like a china made tire ?
from post #23

Personally I didn't really even know what I had on my tt until this post. hum ? I had to go out side, and indeed I got tires made in good old China. (Akuret ST 205 / 75R 14) I do keep them dressed with Aerospace 303 and keep them covered up during the winter.

But it will become more important as I near my date to travel to Alaska in 16' or 17'.

On my old tt (2005) those tires were replaced at about after 6 years, but that was only because of tread depth left.

Does Michelin even make a 14" RV trailer tire, and can I go higher up the load range than the "ST" tires I have now. What is a the next load range.?

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2014, 06:02 PM   #30

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimws View Post
I'm aware that tires have been discussed multiple times on this net. This is simply my current experience w/ Michelin. I've previously purchased Michelin's for all my vehicles and campers. However I've now purchased my last.

I pull my camper with a Ford F-350. In December of 2010 I purchased 4 new 275-65-R18 model LTX M/S2 tires for my truck. Based on the DOT stamp on the tires they were all manufactured the 46th week of 2010. These tires have less than 30,000 miles on them and approximately 1/2 of the tread remaining. The sidewalls on all of the tires are severely checked to the point that I'm afraid to pull my camper any distance at highway speeds. I don't expect 4 year old tires to look/be severely dry rotted.
I'm no big fan of Michelins, thinking them vastly overrated as a rule, but:

I presume a major cause of your displeasure is the fact that mileage is so low. Less than 10,000 miles a year is below average for sure- especially, as in this case, for a pickup tire. Thing is, it's actually harder on tires to sit idle than to be out on the road being used. Idle time dries them out. Especially if they've been sitting so in a hot climate, I think a certain amount of checking is to be expected. If Michelin says not to worry about it, I wouldn't. But get it in writing!

Old 09-21-2014, 06:41 PM   #31

Michelins

I use michelins on all my vehicles, and have never had any issues. I did have some similar cracks on my Volvo S80 tires after a few years, but had them checked out a an authorized Michelin dealer. The dealer said it was normal, and showed me similar cracking on a couple other cars that were in the shop.
Just put Michelin Pilot Super Sports on my C6 Corvette, and they are 5000 times better than the Goodyear F1Supercar tires that were on it before.
Old 09-21-2014, 06:55 PM   #32

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Good point..

Who makes tires for smaller tt's. 14" tires

Making a trip to AK. in 16'. Have a 2013 trailer that was bought in March 2012. Want to upgrade to a better tire for the trip. I now have tires made in China now (Akuret ST 205 / 75R 14). Was told to get a US made tire like Michelin or Goodyear...

What to do?
Our OEM Michelins that were on our DSDP when we bought it went 8+ years and were made in Spain. Put Michelins on it again since I've never had trouble with any of them.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 07:51 PM   #33

Info for those that don't know..........

"Kumho Tire has transformed its humble beginning in South Korea into becoming the 9th largest tire manufacturer in the world. Kumho Tire USA is dedicated to ensuring the safety and performance of all our products to our customers."
Old 09-21-2014, 08:12 PM   #34

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Our OEM Michelins that were on our DSDP when we bought it went 8+ years and were made in Spain. Put Michelins on it again since I've never had trouble with any of them.
FYI, since you're responding to a question from someone looking to replace trailer tires in the 14" size:

Michelin doesn't make 14" tires suitable for trailer use (ST's or, alternatively and appropriately sized LT's).
Old 09-22-2014, 09:39 AM   #35

I saw with my eyes the big tread wear and cracking on the same tires we bought before my friend was talking about his with 17000 miles. Ours are looking great both wear and looks. Michelin doesn't warranty if the tires were from Costco but Costco came though for him.
chevman
Old 09-22-2014, 04:10 PM   #36

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
"Kumho Tire has transformed its humble beginning in South Korea into becoming the 9th largest tire manufacturer in the world. Kumho Tire USA is dedicated to ensuring the safety and performance of all our products to our customers."
So are they made over-seas?
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:53 PM   #37

Quote:
What?
Old 09-22-2014, 07:57 PM   #38

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Kumhos are in fact made overseas, as are many tires these days including some marketed and sold by Michelin. Like most everything we buy these days, I guess. Try to buy something at Walmart that Has NOT been "made in China"!

A far cry from the times when we Americans actually made things, eh?

Thing is, not all Asian products can be judged by the same standards as those made cheaply in China. Kumhos are Korean-made and the 857 has earned a pretty wide respect for use on small trailers among those who prefer to use something other than an "ST" tire.

If you're determined to move away from ST's for your trailer, the Kumho 857 is likely a good choice. Not to mention the fact that it is perhaps the ONLY choice other than ST's in the 14" trailer tire size/weight bearing capacity.

Here's a link to their specs. Do please note that the tire pressure is 65 pounds....if you're moving up from a fifty-pound-max tire, you need to make sure that the rims you presently have on will tolerate the extra pressure.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:07 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by timetogo View Post
"All Michelin® tires have a Standard Manufacturer's Limited Warranty, which covers defects in workmanship and materials for the life of the original usable tread, or for 6 years from date of purchase, whichever occurs first."

I'd check with Costco, Walmart, or any other large retailer. The dealer you went to doesn't know squat.
You do have the 70,000 mile warranty also, correct? Good luck.
As per Michelin side wall cracking IS NOT covered by the warranty... With that being said it really depends on your dealer. If they take pity on you and get the district manager involved and IF he/she wants to "help" you out then you maybe ok, otherwise, you're on your on.
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:17 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
You have an 07 truck and replaced tires in 2010. What went bad with them? What brand were they?
That is germane to his post-how?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:18 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
Thing is, not all Asian products can be judged by the same standards as those made cheaply in China.
Yes. There are several brands made in Asia (Japan, Thailand, Korea, etc.) that have good reputations. The mere fact that a tire was not manufactured in the USA does not make it a time bomb. I don't know where people get this stuff.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:24 PM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
I have two Michelin tires model XZA-2 Energy size 295/80R/22.5 on my steer axle with DOT codes of early 2010 as they were installed in April of 2010.

There are no cracks whatsoever. So you cannot lump a sidewall crack problem into a brand.

Personally this is not a widespread problem with ALL Michelin tires. It most likely is model dependent or something else is happening.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Richard, I think I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one...There have been a lot of posts right here on iRV2 complaining about the sidewall cracking on Michelin tires. I had two tires that cracked after only 3 years, luckly for me Michelin stepped up to the plate (but not before a WHOLE LOT of bit*hing by me) and helped me out on the two tires.

Now I've got 2 more tires that have checkered, and these tires are close to 7years old (came on the coach) so I'm not going to waste my time fighting with Michelin over this. I'm just going to look at my options and spend my money else where.

cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires