Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2014, 10:46 PM   #43

Every time there's a thread regarding sidewall cracking of Michelins there's a ton of people who have "concerns".

I've never heard of a failure related to it (and if there was a significant failure rate, the recall would be staggering)

After a number of tire-related problems and associated deaths, the NHTSB pays attention to stuff like that now (again, where's the real problem?)

The sidewall rubber is wear protection. It doesn't hold the air in. I suppose if you took a heavily checked tire and barked it down a curb it might have more sidewall damage as a result - but I didn't have that problem with my michelins, and neither did my neighbor who had a more severe case than I did.

Folks need to be more data-driven and leave the outrage at home.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2014, 11:45 PM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb5300 View Post

Richard, I think I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one...There have been a lot of posts right here on iRV2 complaining about the sidewall cracking on Michelin tires. I had two tires that cracked after only 3 years, luckly for me Michelin stepped up to the plate (but not before a WHOLE LOT of bit*hing by me) and helped me out on the two tires.

Now I've got 2 more tires that have checkered, and these tires are close to 7years old (came on the coach) so I'm not going to waste my time fighting with Michelin over this. I'm just going to look at my options and spend my money else where.
I guess then that I am one of the few lucky ones that have well over 4 year old Michelin tires with absolutely no cracks in the sidewalls and also a Saturn car with Michelin tires with no sidewall cracks and they are going on three years old.

I am either very lucky or choosing the right model of Michelin tires.

Just my view and my story.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Old 09-23-2014, 06:43 AM   #45

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post

I don't care what Michelin says I would never operate tires that looked like that.
X's 2

I am especially concerned about the picture lower right, some cracking around the bead area is a little concerning, but the big cracks way up on sidewall near tread are very concerning to me. I too, would not feel comfortable riding on them.

Oddly, I see so many complaints about GY tires, but mine, dated 3308 have absolutely not cracking at all. I just bought new steers, Falken, but honestly felt I was TOO cautious removing those GY's. Holding off on rears.
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:31 AM   #46

I really like the GY G670's on our MH. That said, DW's Jeep is running Michelin's put on in 2001, with about 1/3 tread remaining, and -only one crack near the tread on one tire. If it was dangerous, seems like it would have failed during our 4,000 mile Maritimes trip last summer.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 09:25 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Personally this is not a widespread problem with ALL Michelin tires. It most likely is model dependent or something else is happening.
Dr4Film ----- Richard
Richard
I agree!
However, the sidewall cracks in my 3 year old Michelins are difficult to IGNORE....(even though Michelin tells me that ozone or weather checking is "normal" and not covered by their "warranty"!
Mel

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanDiemen23 View Post
Every time there's a thread regarding sidewall cracking of Michelins there's a ton of people who have "concerns".
I've never heard of a failure related to it (and if there was a significant failure rate, the recall would be staggering)
VanDiemen23
Thanks.
That makes me feel somewhat more comfortable.

But not as comfortable as I was for the previous 123k miles, (15 years).... (when I drove on 2 different sets of 6 Goodyear tires that did not crack in 8 and 7 years).

Sadly I will be driving on cracked Michelin tires for another 3 years with my "fingers crossed", (or until a tire fails), because my budget does not allow me to buy new tires every 3 years.

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 09-23-2014, 09:31 AM   #48

Seems to me that if the lawyers at Michelin are OK with the company line saying minor cracking isn't an issue then I would be good with that. If there was a potential liability issue with sidewall cracking then the lawyers would tell the company to change their statement.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:31 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
Seems to me that if the lawyers at Michelin are OK with the company line saying minor cracking isn't an issue then I would be good with that. If there was a potential liability issue with sidewall cracking then the lawyers would tell the company to change their statement.
Uh, yeah... ask GM about that...
Old 09-23-2014, 12:35 PM   #50

Defective Michelin Tires - Total Disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
That is germane to his post-how?

If both sets are bad after 4 years, are there common factors or indicators?
Did set 1 crack? Were they equally cared for? How many miles on set 1. Etc.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 01:45 PM   #51

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb5300 View Post
As per Michelin side wall cracking IS NOT covered by the warranty... With that being said it really depends on your dealer. If they take pity on you and get the district manager involved and IF he/she wants to "help" you out then you maybe ok, otherwise, you're on your on.
Probably true, however, I had two 255/80 R22.5 Michelin drive tires that were nearing the age limit with excellent tread and did have some "with-in limits" sidewall checking. Since they were of the age where they should be replaced, and were the drive tires, I had the Michelin dealer replace them with 275/80, R22.5 XZA-3's. I asked the dealer to check to see if I could get some warranty consideration, which he did and Michelin provided $100 credit. It wasn't much, but every little bit helped.

The dealer thought that Michelin might do something since the dealer was a major Michelin dealer in our area.

I did keep the older tires since they were in the "acceptable" sidewall cracking range and was thinking or trading in the coach and would have swapped the tires if I traded it in.

I still have my aged 255/80 R22.5 Michelins if anyone wants them... free for the shipping, they are too good to throw away and could be used for two of the rear duals, mounted on the same side.

BTW. I had the opportunity to talk with an employee of the Goodyear shop that recaps truck tires and asked about using aged tires for recapping. He told me that the only concern for recapping is the internal condition of the casing. If the internal inspection shows a good casing, they will recap the tire. I imagine that these recaps are used as semi trailer tires and not drive tires. This makes me think that they are not concerned with "with-in limits" sidewall cracking.

And... BTW for what it's worth, one of my rear dual Goodyears blew out last year returning from Az... it had NO sidewall cracking, but blew apart for no reason that I could see. Replace the remaining three with Michelin XZA-3s
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 02:13 PM   #52

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
I guess then that I am one of the few lucky ones that have well over 4 year old Michelin tires with absolutely no cracks in the sidewalls and also a Saturn car with Michelin tires with no sidewall cracks and they are going on three years old.

I am either very lucky or choosing the right model of Michelin tires.

Just my view and my story.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
I have the same experience as you Richard. Michelins on my car are over 3 years old and although there is a great difference than car and RV, the coach rear duallies were replaced in November of 2012 , look like brand new.

I do keep the tires off concrete when stored at home in the back yard and also keep them covered. Exercised every 60-90 days as well.

I HOPE I don't have the same issues with them down the road as others......fingers crossed....
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 05:04 PM   #53

As usual "ya pays your money and ya takes your chances".
I expected more from Michelin ...that's why I am disappointed that I chose what I mistakenly thought were the "best RV tires available".
As I said it will not happen again!

The only reason I reported my "Michelin tire sidewall cracking problem" on this thread was to let others know that it does happen.... (and that when it does Michelin does not care).

If your Michelin tires aren't cracking, (or if you have Michelins that are cracking and it doesn't bother you), I am happy for you.

BTW, unless you have $3,500+ worth of tires on your coach that you don't feel safe using, you have no idea what it's like.
Of course I could cure the problem for another $3,500.. but I should not have to!
I wouldn't have to if I had not bought Michelin Tires!
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 09-23-2014, 05:20 PM   #54

We had Goodyears on our 33' 5th wheel and they were always blowing.

We've had Michilins on our 40' motorhome and no problems. We replaced all of them prior to our last 2009 Alaskan trip and they still look new. However, even though they look new they should be replaced in another year or two just because of age.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 03:13 PM   #55

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
according to Michelin, the key to prevent the side walls from cracking is to drive the coach. The district manage here said that I needed to "keep the tires turning". He stated that I really need to put about 12-15k miles a year on the coach, something about exercising the tires...unfortunately, some of us still have to work for a living so I'm not able to put the miles on that I would like to.

I think that this time around I'm going to roll the dice and try Bridgestones. I've never have used this brand , but at $70.00/tire cheaper why not give them a try?
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 03:25 PM   #56

Monaco Owners Club
My Own Experience, Too

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
We had Goodyears on our 33' 5th wheel and they were always blowing.

We've had Michelins on our 40' motorhome and no problems. We replaced all of them prior to our last 2009 Alaskan trip and they still look new. However, even though they look new they should be replaced in another year or two just because of age.

I had a set on my 40' Fleetwood, and have replaced Goodyears with Michelins on my 45' Patriot Thunder except for my 8-year-old G670 tags. The latter will be replaced next year, I'll put the new tires on the steering axle.

Of the 12 tires I'm talking about, none has ever shown a sign of wear or aging over a span of five or so years.

Tags
tires