Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-19-2014, 03:28 PM   #1
Defective Michelin Tires - Total Disappointment

I'm aware that tires have been discussed multiple times on this net. This is simply my current experience w/ Michelin. I've previously purchased Michelin's for all my vehicles and campers. However I've now purchased my last.

I pull my camper with a Ford F-350. In December of 2010 I purchased 4 new 275-65-R18 model LTX M/S2 tires for my truck. Based on the DOT stamp on the tires they were all manufactured the 46th week of 2010. These tires have less than 30,000 miles on them and approximately 1/2 of the tread remaining. The sidewalls on all of the tires are severely checked to the point that I'm afraid to pull my camper any distance at highway speeds. I don't expect 4 year old tires to look/be severely dry rotted.

I had the tires inspected by a local tire dealer who agrees with my risk assessment, but he recommended that I contact a Michelin dealer to discuss any applicable warranty. I did, and was told that there was no recall on these tires, and there is basically no warranty coverage on 4 year old tires.

Good day Michelin, you've gotten my last $.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140919_161440_023.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	74318   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140919_161452_024.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	74319  

Name:	20140919_161502_025.JPG
Views:	232
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	74320   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140919_161524_026.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	74321  

2015 Ford F-350 DRW pulling a 2012 Mobile Suite 36TKSB3
Life is short, don't worry, be happy & God Bless
Jim & Sallie
jimws is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2014, 03:54 PM   #2
If you have not already you might try talking directly to Michelin as they are usually pretty cooperative regarding warranty issues. But that said, at 4 years you are nearing the useful service life (in terms of age) of the tires so I wouldn't expect a huge allowance in any event. Michelin (and most other manufacturers) consider 5-7 years to be a maximum service life. Michelin itself quotes 5 years, and that may be extended a few years if the tires are demounted and inspected annually. That step is more trouble than it's worth of course so most consider the maximum service life at 5-7 years and be done with it.

smiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 04:06 PM   #3
No matter what brand of tires, they can all have issues. I agree in that for what tires cost, they should hold up better. Which mole tires are these that are weather checked? I have been running a different brand of tires and get several years out of them But having side that, I take a little extra care of the tires. For vehicles that I may not be driving all the time I make sure that most of the mud is off them, park on wood boards and watch the tires pressure.
As has already been said, 'contact a Michelin rep directly and let them tell you face to face what they are or are not going to do"!
2009 38' Diplomat
CSM- retired, wife as co-pilot
Reka & Ali providing security (our 2 labs)
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 04:14 PM   #4
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Jim, you are well within the warranty limits according to:
LTX M/S2 | Michelin Tires

The RV section of the Michelin site show crack tolerances, yours look well within the limits of "Not a problem"

Again, make sure the tire center is an "Authorized" dealer.

Fred and Bonnie
2005 Dolphin LX 6375
Abby, Ruffles & Scarlett, "The Cats"
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 06:14 PM   #5
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Jim watch the tires closely. The cracks will get much worse pretty quickly once the initial cracking starts. Those cracks shown on the last picture on the right are more toward the center of the tire sidewall, and should be watched more closely because of the amount of flexing.
I'm with you, my motorhome will never again see a Michelin tire mounted on it, at least not as long as I am the owner of it. I now run Toyo's
dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 10:37 AM   #6
Michelin and cracks seems to be a normal story. my friend has his crack and wear very quickly. I bought them before we saw how bad his were but so far ours is ok. Probably will never buy a Michelin again if ours cracks.

Larry Barnhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 10:45 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Michelin Tire Sidewall Crack Chart.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Michelin Sidewall Crack Chart.jpg
Views:	659
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	74397  
2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL - Now Staying in Dansville NY for the Summer.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 11:06 AM   #8
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Michelin Tire Sidewall Crack Chart.

I don't care what Michelin says I would never operate tires that looked like that.
smiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 11:22 AM   #9

Defective Michelin Tires - Total Disappointment

They look okay according to the chart.
You have an 07 truck and replaced tires in 10. What brand were they? Did they crack too?
Do you cover your tires during extended stays? I would assume not as it is probably your daily ride. The sun and UV can make them age-out much quicker.
Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 01:27 PM   #10
That chart just confirms Michelin sucks.

Larry Barnhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 01:41 PM   #11
"All Michelin® tires have a Standard Manufacturer's Limited Warranty, which covers defects in workmanship and materials for the life of the original usable tread, or for 6 years from date of purchase, whichever occurs first."

I'd check with Costco, Walmart, or any other large retailer. The dealer you went to doesn't know squat.
You do have the 70,000 mile warranty also, correct? Good luck.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 06:19 PM   #12
My 30 plus years of automotive and truck experience leads me to believe what you are seeing is ozone checking, dry rot was a term used when corded fibers would be exposed. I was told by a Goodyear tire engineer you could strip away the entire outside layer of the tire and it will not leak or affect the integrity of the tire. Some tires do "check" more than others and using chemicals to make them shine speeds the process.
thomasd923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 07:44 PM   #13
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My 8 year old Goodyear G647 (rear duals) and my 5 year old G670 RV steer tires all look like new (except for normal tread wear) with absolutely no sidewall checking. Stored outside with no tire covers. Yes I am scheduled to replace the 8 year old tires. Guess I will stick with Goodyears and not switch to Michelins.
Ole and Anne Anderson, Highland, Michigan
'02 Adventurer 32V, Ford F-53, ours since 4/08,Goodyears, Konis, SeeLevel, CHF
'84 CJ-7 , 5.3 Chevy, 3" lift, 33's, Detroit Locker, Fiberglas tub, winch, hi-lift
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 08:59 PM   #14
Fleetwood Owners Club
My last set of michelins had unacceptable cracks in three years. And I do mean my last.

stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote