Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2016, 10:48 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Delay in electricial current 2015 Seneca.

Turned on the generator today in my Seneca, and had no electrical service. My wife kept hearing a noise coming from under the bed. The noise sounded like fan blades hitting something. The noise only lasted a few seconds, and then would stop. I removed the box covering the electrical wiring. I have a progressive surge guard mod 34560. I noticed the bottom two lights were green, the caution when flashing light was flashing red. The power on light was not on at all. I turned the gen off, and attached my coach power cord to an outlet. Still nothing with the surge protector giving the same lighted codes. Then all of a sudden, everything starts working. The red light on the surge protector goes off and the top power light comes on. I wanted to try the gen. one more time, same thing again, red flashing light. Then all of a sudden everything starts working.

Has anyone had this happen to you? I feel like it must be a weak electrical component breaking down. This may be the sound we are hearing. Need some help on this one!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2016, 11:30 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Might be the contacts in the transfer switch, arcing.

rgvtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 07:30 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Have a switch on the way! Hope that fixes it!!
Old 07-29-2016, 09:36 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
You do realize that the Gen go's through a startup cycle. This takes a couple minutes then when power is normal the Gen sends power through the transfer switch. If the switch is working correctly the at rest position is gen priority.

LEN
Old 07-29-2016, 09:47 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The progressive EMS has a one minute power delivery delay. If the generator is going through the EMS add together with the generator power stabilization delivery delay.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 10:03 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

"Caution when flashing" means power is being delayed. Could well be normal - there is a built-in 128 second (2 minute) delay that is designed to allow an a/c to complete its cycle down & back up if power is suddenly switched. The Power light remains off until this delay completes.

The manual for your #34560 describes this.
http://trci.net/media/72823/505-0004...4520_34560.pdf
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 06:08 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Yep, I do realize their is some delay, not a 10- to 15 minute delay. I have ran the gen. and regular land current with no problems for the last year and a half, until now.
Old 07-30-2016, 12:06 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

You didn't mention "10-15 minutes" in your original message. That would have helped!

For that much time to lapse, obviously the 34560 thinks there is a problem with the supply and it is waiting for it to clear. Whether there actually IS a problem, or whether the 34560 is erring, is harder to determine. The manual is vague about what sort of faults can cause this condition, just "miswiring" or "current to ground" . Maybe a call to TRC (not "progressive" as you mentioned previously) Tech Support could get you some more definitive info on possible causes.

If I understand you correctly, you seem to get the same fault on shore and genset. That would suggest either the 34560 itself or the wiring at the point the unit is connected to the RV.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 02:57 PM   #9

Transfer switch.

Texasranger is offline   Reply With Quote