Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2012, 08:37 PM   #15

Vintage RV Owners Club
That is what we did... when we inquired as to how much it would cost to wire a generator back into where there had been one originally, it was exorbitant for the old rig we have. Far, far easier to put a cargo rack on back and carry the generator out back and plug it into the power cord.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I agree Midniteoyl, that's why I suggest he just plug his shore cord into the genset and ignore the built in gennie wiring. Seems some folks give advice more to demonstrate their own knowledge than what the OP needs to know. (Not directed to anyone on this thread, just sayin' about some other threads I've followed on iRV2) Plus any Dealer removing a genset from a trailer would probably take the auto transfer switch too. Why wire a new plug and/or hard wire a portable genset into the TT? If the transfer switch was removed, it would make the tines of the shore cord a shock hazard!

K.I.S.S. (Keep It Short, & Simple) is the polite way to state it.

MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2012, 09:19 PM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I agree Midniteoyl, that's why I suggest he just plug his shore cord into the genset and ignore the built in gennie wiring. Seems some folks give advice more to demonstrate their own knowledge than what the OP needs to know. (Not directed to anyone on this thread, just sayin' about some other threads I've followed on iRV2) Plus any Dealer removing a genset from a trailer would probably take the auto transfer switch too. Why wire a new plug and/or hard wire a portable genset into the TT? If the transfer switch was removed, it would make the tines of the shore cord a shock hazard!

K.I.S.S. (Keep It Short, & Simple) is the polite way to state it.
Agreed.. Prolly needs and adaptor though. But easiest way to do it..

Old 11-04-2012, 10:45 PM   #17

This is "he." Thank you all for the info so far. I am assuming the AF is 30 amp, but I won't know until tomorrow when I pick it up. I can't find a reference in the brochure I have. On Monday I teach at the local CC until 10:30 and then I have a 90 minute drive to OR to pick up our new rig. Rather than talk to the salesperson one more time I elected to pose my question here. I didn't have enough information to have asked the question, but this is our first TT and I didn't realize that. Hopefully, I will get better.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:20 PM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
If it IS a 30amp, you will need an adaptor to go to the genset. Thats about it..

Good luck..
Old 11-06-2012, 01:00 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just be darn sure you aren't plugging a 30 amp 120 volt RV into a 30 amp 240 volt generator outlet or poof! 30 amp RV supplies are "always" 120 volts, 50 amp RV supplies are "always" 240 volts (two 120 volt legs opposite "phase"). If the RV has a 50 amp shore power connector, it can be rigged to run on a generator 240 volt circuit, regardless of generator wattage, but you may need to manually shed loads to match the generator's output. Generally a 50 amp 240 volt plug has 4 connectors, 2 hot, one neutral, one ground. An RV 30 amp plug has 3 connectors, one hot,one ground, one neutral.

In short, make sure your adaptor is intended for RV use.

CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator