Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2012, 02:46 PM   #1

Deleted generator

Our new AF 22H came to the dealer with an Onan generator. We deleted it during the purchase to save 2800.00 as we don't plan on boondocking much, if any. But since the rig is wired for it, could I pick up a smaller Honda or Yamaha or such down the road to supplement things? Would it "plug in" where the bigger gen was located? How does it fit into the trailer's system grid?
MarkQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2012, 04:37 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I think what you saved on purchase you might lose on resale. A small portable generator will be noisier and certainly not have the capacity of the Onan. I wouldn't install it in the generator space, cooling ventilation, vibration, and exhaust could be an issue. You could certainly wire the Honda or Yamaha through the electrical system, but really you are just talking about plugging in your shore cord to the outlet on the generator. I guess you could store it in the generator space, but I wouldn't run it in there for the above reasons.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:32 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
If it was a 50amp/220v genset, those are very heavy to carry.. you can get a 30amp but it wont do much and are noisy.

but ya, you should be able to do it f you know what type of wiring you have - 30amp 120v or 50amp 220v.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:42 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
but ya, you should be able to do it f you know what type of wiring you have - 30amp 120v or 50amp 220v.
OP, don't the above post confuse you, the RV will only use 120 volts of a 50 amp service but there will be 100 amps available (12,000 watts), a 30 amp has 3,600 watts available.
The 50 amp RV circuit is actually two 120 volt 50 amp circuits. Only some high end MH's will use 220/240 volts.
50 amp X 120 volts X 2 circuits is 12,000 watts
30 amp X 120 volts is 3,600 watts
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:58 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
First off I, perhaps we don't know if it is a 30amp TT or a 50 amp, but I have to assume 30 by the length. It would also depend if it came with an ATS (automatic transfer switch) or you had to plug the shore cord into a generator outlet. If the latter, you could wire the output of a portatble generator to this outlet.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:38 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If only for occational use, if you sometime want to dry camp. 2000 watt Honda or similar portable genny - adapter plug to take whatever your coach as to a regular 115 volts plug - plug into the genny (positioned outside the RV) - will run anything except your air conditiioning.

If you want built in - watch Craigslist for a RV genny - get someone who knows how to install it.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:51 PM   #7

You could have a cord made to connect into the prewired box in the generator compartment long enough to set a portable generator on the ground along side the RV and have a plug on the end of the wire for the generator. Hopefully the existing gen box is big enough to carry the generator you want. DON'T EVEN Think about running a portable IN the compartment.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:55 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

There is no way of knowing what, if anything, may have been left when the generator was "deleted". A generator is rather unusual in that size trailer anyway, so chances are the trailer power cord just plugged into the generator, or a nearby outlet wired to the generator. If that's the case, substituting another would be easy enough.

Don't get distracted by the noise about 50A and 220v - the generator that was deleted would not have had either one of those capabilities.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:13 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
I PURCHASED A 2011 32' TOY HAULER 2 YRS. AGO. IT HAD A GENERATOR BOX ON THE LEFT FRONT SIDE. IT WAS INSULATED AND HAD A JUNCTION BOX THAT COULD BE HARD WIRED IN. I TRADED IT 1 YEAR LATER FOR A 2012 DAMON DAYBREAK SO I DIDN'T NEED THE GEN. BUT ABOVE ALL BE REALLY CAREFUL BECAUSE FUMES CAN KILL. GOOD LUCK AND BE SAFE
papaw.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:56 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
There are some good things for not having the generator. Folks that do serious boon docking rely on battery power (upgrade to better batteries) and use Honda small generators to charge them and for other basic use when they need them. The Honda 2000i for example. They are far more fuel efficient and quieter than most RV gensets. Of course the Honda won't run your AC.

I've met several folks on the road with this solution.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:16 AM   #11

have you thought about solar panels ??? no noise.... you could start small but with large cables so you could upgrade over time. you could check craigs list there is a few there.
wonderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:36 AM   #12
YC1

To keep batteries up a Honda 1000 will do the trick. You may be able to find one used for $500 or so. It is physically smaller than the 2000 will fit in more tight spaces. It is extremely quiet and runs forever on a gallon of gas. No microwave or AC support but great for electric trolling motor batteries and small rvs. I have had one for several years. I actually charge batteries on my monster with with it. I have to turn my charger down to not overload it but a long extension cord and the generator is not heard at all. I have solar but only 200 watts and my rv is hungry when the grandkids are around.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:50 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Anyways...

There are 50amp trailers under 30'. Few, but are there.

The ONLY reason I mentioned is because he MUST know what he has, what his wiring is, and what size genset he needs. The way the question was asked, i doubt he knows much about any of this and thus, looking for this info will educate him.

The rest of you are going to cause harm - "Just wire it in". Duh, if he knew how to do that, he wouldnt have even asked 'Can I use a separate genset?'

Also, if it IS wired as a 50amp, their micro and AC will most likely be wired on separate legs. He needs to know this before wiring in a genset plug regardless of how much wiring knowledge he has.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:36 PM   #14

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
...The ONLY reason I mentioned is because he MUST know what he has, what his wiring is, and what size genset he needs. The way the question was asked, i doubt he knows much about any of this and thus, looking for this info will educate him.

The rest of you are going to cause harm - "Just wire it in". Duh, if he knew how to do that, he wouldnt have even asked 'Can I use a separate genset?'

Also, if it IS wired as a 50amp, their micro and AC will most likely be wired on separate legs. He needs to know this before wiring in a genset plug regardless of how much wiring knowledge he has.
I agree Midniteoyl, that's why I suggest he just plug his shore cord into the genset and ignore the built in gennie wiring. Seems some folks give advice more to demonstrate their own knowledge than what the OP needs to know. (Not directed to anyone on this thread, just sayin' about some other threads I've followed on iRV2) Plus any Dealer removing a genset from a trailer would probably take the auto transfer switch too. Why wire a new plug and/or hard wire a portable genset into the TT? If the transfer switch was removed, it would make the tines of the shore cord a shock hazard!

K.I.S.S. (Keep It Short, & Simple) is the polite way to state it.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator