Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2012, 02:57 PM   #1

Deposits blocking up water fixtures

I'm getting what I think may be calcium depostis that over time will restrict or even block flow to just about everything.

At least I think it's calcium. They appear to be small white and hard almost about the size of grains of sand.

Also, each facuet is not blocking up the same way. The toilet gets blocked at the valve, the bathroom sink get blocked on the cold side water line side of the screen before the valve. The shower in the shower head, the galley sink in the aireator.

What would be the best way to prevent all this?

Cleaning each fixture repeatadly is getting to be a pain.

230 hp Cummins 6 spd Allison trans
WILD-BILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2012, 03:17 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Make sure you have a filter at water inlet. Vinegar will dissolve calcium deposits, you could use a winterizing hose hooked to your pump to pump vinegar into the lines and let it sit a few hours, then flush with lots of water. Google 'portable water softener' I know Camping World, PPL Motor Homes are among those that sell units that would work for RV. You might also consider where you are getting water, simply changing source might reduce the problem.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:36 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

We spend a lot of time in the desert SW and a water softener was a must for us to avoid what you're seeing and worse.

Good luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:51 PM   #4

Water comes from the sole faucet on the out side of the house so no chance of changing that.

Are you referring to filtering the water prior to it entering the holding tank or a filter before the pump?

Old 08-28-2012, 03:57 PM   #5

I guess I should add that 99% of my usage of the MH is Self contained at a race track.

I googled those softeners and they all appear to be for when you are hooked up at a campground.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:58 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILD-BILL View Post
Water comes from the sole faucet on the out side of the house so no chance of changing that.

Are you referring to filtering the water prior to it entering the holding tank or a filter before the pump?

Filter the water before it enters the coach. (ie) on the hose used to supply the tank or city water hook up.
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:10 PM   #7

What about one of these

Shurflo Swivel Nut Strainer with 1/2" Barb Inlet - Hypro-shurflo Llc 255-325 - Fresh Water Pumps - Camping World

Old 08-28-2012, 04:17 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
I was thinking of something like this: Systems IV Exterior Water Filter - Systems Iv F7R-GH - Water Filtration - Camping World
It will filter out sand and other small particles, the carbon part will improve taste of water and remove some organics and chemicals. It will not stop calcium deposits, only a water softener can do that.

Bob & Donna
Old 08-29-2012, 02:33 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
We bought a Flowpur Mark 8000 water softener from www.rvwaterfilterstore.com. It makes a huge difference in deposits on fixtures. I filter all water coming into the camper through this. I also use a 5 micron filter before the water softener. This has completely stopped the deposits on mine.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:48 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
If you have a water softener system for your house, often the outside hydrant (faucet) bypasses this and gets untreated, unfiltered water. Plants don't need soft water. If that's the case in your home, you could hook up fill hose for RV from a faucet in the house that is supplied with treated water. Also a good strategy for car or RV washing, less spotting when it dries.

Bob & Donna
Old 08-29-2012, 02:56 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Clean up all of the deposits at each spigot in all of the sinks, toilet, hot water heater, shower, etc. using some concentrated CLR. Then get your self one or two Whole House Filter(s) and using different types of filters directly after your water pressure reducer. The pressure reducer should be mounted at the RV Park water spigot. Then directly after the water filter(s), install a good water softener that uses rock salt. I have used the Travel-Soft for 10 years now. I have to recharge it about every two weeks depending on how hard the water is and the amount of grains I have to remove along with how much water I am using.

If you maintain those systems you should be good to go. I also use Bath CLR spray to wipe everything down occasionally to remove any water spots that were left over.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Tags
water