Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2017, 10:22 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Detroit Diesel info

I'm looking at a 2005 Navigator with the Detroit Diesel 60 series engine.
There is no forum listed on this site.
Where can I find info on these motors?

Looking for recall issues or certain years to avoid
1CoolZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2017, 12:40 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Detroit Diesel info

Don't know if any of this would be applicable to your situation or not but ....

6.5L GM/Detroit Diesel Specs & Info
6.5L GM/Detroit Diesel
6.5L Diesel Specs, History, & Information
6.5L GM Diesel Specs

Common 6.5L problems include cracks propagating in the main caps
and crankshaft failures from aging/fatigue of the harmonic balancer.

Overheating issues are also common, and have been known to lead to
cracked cylinder heads amongst other failures.

6.5L Diesel PMD/FSD Failures (SEE PMD/FSD BELOW)
PMD failures are arguably the most commonly experienced problem with
the 6.5L diesel. The PMD, or Pump Mounted Driver is an electronic
module affixed to the side of the injection pump that controls the
fuel solenoid. It is also often referred to as the FSD, or Fuel
Solenoid Driver. The PMD's fatal flaw is its location on the driver
side of the injection pump, which sits in the engine valley. While
energized, the PMD generates an intense amount of heat, which does
not properly dissipate (due to its location) and ultimately leads
to the module's demise. Most hard start, no start, and engine stalling
concerns are attributed to a failed or failing PMD. It is extremely
common for owners to mount the driver in a remote location and/or
install an aftermarket heat sink to a relocated PMD to keep it from
overheating. the PMD/FSD is certainly the 6.5 diesel's Achilles heel

6.5L GM/Detroit Diesel Specs & Info
6.5L Diesel Overheating Causes & Fixes
6.5L GM Diesel Lift Pump Diagnostics & Troubleshooting
6.5L GM Diesel Maintenance Schedule
6.5L GM Diesel PMD, FSD Information & Relocation
How to Replace the Fuel Filter on a 6.5L GM Diesel

FAQ: Purchasing a 6.5L Diesel
FAQ: Purchasing a 6.5L Diesel - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums
6.5 NEWBIES - **START HERE** - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

6.5L Diesel PMD/FSD
6.5 NEWBIES - **START HERE** - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Simply visit this forum (click) to find a vendor that stocks the PMD kit.
Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

INJECTOR PUMP ISSUES
I hear lots of stories of injection pump problems on the 6.5. What should I do to protect it?
What additive should you use? Some time ago there was an in-depth study done with the results posted in this thread:
Lubricity Additive Study Results - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums
Lubricity Additive Study Results - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Lastly, if your truck is smoking black exhaust, you’re LOOSING power..and beware, black smoke and the 6.5 is a recipe for disaster! Read more about this situation in my other FAQ HERE:

Black smoke & the GM 6.5 Turbo Diesel FAQ
Rolling Coal & The 6.5 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums
Low on boost, down on power? Check your crossover pipe! - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

The Diesel Page - for the 6.2L, 6.5L, and Duramax 6600 (6.6L) GM Chevrolet and GMC diesel engines. (books for sale)
The 6.5L Turbo Diesel Volume I: Preview
The 6.5L Turbo Diesel Volume II: Preview
The 6.5L Turbo Diesel Volume III: Preview
The 6.2L/6.5L Diesel Troubleshooting & Repair Guide: Preview

Good luck .
Randm Musing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 12:59 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Had 60 Series DDs in a couple of OTRs. Hated the oil leaking POC.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 01:06 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Maybe I'm wrong on the 60 series cause the 6.5 is only a 400ci
I'm talking about the 515hp motor
1CoolZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 02:39 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I love my Detroit 60 series. I have the 14 liter, 515 hp also. I put a TSI programmer on it as soon as I bought it and It has paid for itself. The Monaco Executive is a very heavy coach, if I leave it on cruise and do 70 all day I can expect 7mpg. Mine leaks no oil and uses almost none. The power is amazing.
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 06:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockcrawler View Post
I love my Detroit 60 series. I have the 14 liter, 515 hp also. I put a TSI programmer on it as soon as I bought it and It has paid for itself. The Monaco Executive is a very heavy coach, if I leave it on cruise and do 70 all day I can expect 7mpg. Mine leaks no oil and uses almost none. The power is amazing.
^X2 sans programmer and the good fuel economy...for now

Be sure to have a reputable DD service center inspect the engines and send off oil samples for analysis.

From Wikipedia:"Series 60 14-liter
In 2001 a larger stroke crankshaft increased the engine volume to 14 L (854 cu in), the power increased to 575 hp (429 kW) and torque increased to 1,850 lbf·ft (2,510 N·m). In 2004 the 14 Liter engine became the dominant platform in Freightliner over the road sleeper trucks and changed the ECM to a DDEC V. In 2007 the 12.7-liter Detroit Diesel Series 60 was discontinued. Once the 12.7-liter Series 60 was discontinued, the 14-liter Series 60 replaced it. In 2007 - 2010 (2008 -2011 trucks) the Detroit Diesel 14L engine was modified to meet new emissions standards and went to a dual ecm configuration (DDEC VI). This engine ran higher compression, higher injector pressure and a DPF exhaust filter. The block and crank remained the same as the older 2004-2006 engine models. In 2011 the series 60 engine was discontinued and replaced by the DD15 engine."
Old 11-20-2017, 07:26 PM   #7

A little bit of drift, a mechanic told me that if you took a picture of a Detroit, and hug it on the wall, eventually that picture would leak oil!
Mobius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:47 PM   #8

detroits

The old detroits [6-71'8v71,92 series were 2 stroke diesels and if it ain't leakin it ain't runnin] the 60 series were the best engine they made,many of them in over the road service were still strong at a millon miles.great engines.Only thing that I saw were oil leaks at accessory drive on rt front of the engine.Wish my coach had one. Ronster...03 phaeton,330 cat....If it ain't a CAT it must be a dog!
ronster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 01:24 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Get the engine serial number and call DD. BTW, no oil leaks in the newer DDs.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 02:30 PM   #10

The 6.5 and Series 60 were different engines. The 6.5 was a V8 and the Series 60 was an inline 6. I've never had either, but understand that the Series 60 was a good engine, not so much the 6.5.

IMHO, the older 2 stroke Detroits were also good engines, I think they just lost the mpg battle. Those things powered much of what moved during WW2, both on land and on the water. They were also around for many years later both in military and civilian service. The beauty of them was that many of the parts within a series were interchangeable with different cylinder configurations, thus requiring fewer replacement parts to be kept on hand. They were heavy things, but I've seen several of the 4-53 and 6V-53 engines transplanted into pickups. I considered using a 4-53 for my conversion but ran into a Perkins first.

I would seriously consider having a Series 60 in a MH. I would check on the availability of parts and service for them though as I'm not sure if they're still in production.

Best of luck with it.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 07:41 PM   #11

OK so what is a TSI programmer and what are you doing with it? I can't touch 7 MPG at 70 unless I have a tailwind.
Thanks
Windecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockcrawler View Post
RV #5 1999 Monaco Signature Slide ISM 11 450
RV #6 2005 Monaco Executive 43PBQ Detroit Series 60
Honda Fit, Odyssey or Cargo trailer in tow.
Windecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 07:51 PM   #12

IMHO the
Detroit Series 60 is the Greatest engine ever built, I ran one for a Million five hundred thousand miles and only replaced the water pump and turbo and that was after the Million mile mark

the Series 60 is 12 Liter if my memory is correct, 430/470HP is what I had and it never leaked any oil
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 10:08 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Used to run those old 2-stroke DDs in our commercial fishing boats. Leaked a bit for sure, had to watch the bilge water to make sure it was clean but very reliable. When you are out 800 miles in the Gulf of Alaska in a 60' boat you want your engine to be reliable.

The other good thing about those old motors was you could rebuild them in the frame. No need to remove the block. Pretty important when removing the engine means tearing the deck off.

Sorry, got off topic. Can't help with the later motors.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:03 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I had many of the old Detroits right up to the 92t silver 500 hp. 2stroke screamin jimmy's!! They all leaked oil.
Then Detroit came out with the 60 series and they were a nice engine. I had a 515 in a highway truck and it had 800,000 on it when I went to a new one with an ISX Cummins. The Detroit pulled better but the Jake was weaker.
I would not hesitate a minute on a coach with a 60 series Detroit.
There are a few fellows on here that have them and maybe they can point you to some info on them

Tags
diesel