Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2018, 10:45 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevL View Post
The developer is scheduled to take a drive through Coastal Georgia RV Resort & CreekFire Motor Ranch late this week. We will be discussing pros and cons from each of these parks from my point of view (which is somewhat limited, I know what I like).

Thank you all for you opinions.

Me thinking out loud.... would it make a difference if it was located on Lake Murray? For those not in the know this is located just outside of Columbia, has 525 miles of shore line, about 42 miles long, 6 miles wide, has plenty of room for boating skiing, fishing, etc. Several major bass tournaments are help here each year, the one state park on the lake is booked solid from spring into fall.

I'm sure on the lake brings in another dimension of politics & regulations.

Steve
have them swing by here---nice place
for lake development!

www.anchordownrvresort.com/‎
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2018, 01:19 PM   #30
PKI

These parks are worth investigating.

This one is run with very low overhead. You check in on an honor system. The sites are concrete with grass lawns. There is a big storm shelter and a free laundry. Price is $35 a night. Can't figure out why this park was built, but we were glad to find it and will remember it.

Hanks Trail RV Park, 1000 E Hanks Trail, Woodward, OK 73801 (580) 256-7275

This place was built as an incentive to obtain approval for elements of another project. It is quite nice with paved streets and concrete sites. The operation is not low overhead. A worker sweeps and straightens the site after you leave. Gated for security, a nice pool, berming to block the wind, and very nice landscaping. Not much of a destination draw, but a very nice park. Price is $50-60 a night.

Yanks RV Resort, 40399 Livingston Road, Greenfield CA 93927 (855)-926-5778 | info@yanksrvresort.com

These parks bracket the scopes for a nice facility with no destination amenities. Might give them a look with Google maps. Phone call might be worth a dime.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 01:34 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Personally when traveling and trying to make a reasonable number of miles per day, I would love to find just a place to plug in for the night on a bit of gravel if the price was right ($20-$25 per night for a 30 amp outlet), with a centralized dump station and water fill point (appropriately separated from the dump station), maybe with a self pay kiosk. A laundry room and a picnic table would be a nice bonus, no need for a pool, shower house, or any other fancy amenity in an overnight stop.
I agree.
I wish there were more affordable basic type places off the highways for just a safe, comfortable night's sleep.
I was telling my husband the other day that I wish state rest stops would offer overnight only stops with basic utilities and security, with a lot for RVs and a separate lot for truckers. 12 hour maximum stay. Just park, eat dinner, get cleaned up, and sleep for the night at a lower rate--$10 or $15 per night.
Oct Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 03:27 PM   #32

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 426smartin View Post
have them swing by here---nice place
for lake development!

www.anchordownrvresort.com/‎
I actually spent a week there this past spring. I liked the place, I would have had a little more space between the interior sites, a lot of kids stuff I could do without but it probably attracts many people with kids. I was on two different sites, one was extremely unlevel the other was okay. I understand a neighborhood developer did that park....?

Steve
Old 11-05-2018, 03:28 PM   #33

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oct Prime View Post
I agree.
I wish there were more affordable basic type places off the highways for just a safe, comfortable night's sleep.
I was telling my husband the other day that I wish state rest stops would offer overnight only stops with basic utilities and security, with a lot for RVs and a separate lot for truckers. 12 hour maximum stay. Just park, eat dinner, get cleaned up, and sleep for the night at a lower rate--$10 or $15 per night.
Maybe this would be a good option, I’m hearing more and more wanting this type of park.

Steve
Old 11-05-2018, 03:32 PM   #34

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
Putting a nice park on the lake with good views of the lake would be a better draw. Would need some docks, boat launch, perhaps equipment rentals, and could charge a higher price than down town Columbia. I used to live on Lake Murray and it is always busy once the weather turns warm. The builder would need to be sure to have deep water access as they drop the lake down during the winter months for maintenance and shallow coves can go dry.

Tom

Tom,

Well thought out, thank you. I lived on Murray for 33 years, knowing how scana is with docks it may be impossible to get permitted. Not w that the deal is being made with Dominion this could be a permitting nightmare until the dust settles...?

Thx,
Steve
Old 11-05-2018, 06:54 PM   #35

As I see it the government has a natural monopoly on nice parks on lakes with nice views, and I don't see how a commercial park can effectively compete with the space and views found at so many COE, State, Municipal and National Park campgrounds. Sure they can compete on amenities, and the truly high end resort parts can compete on spacing, but overall it is a hard sell to get people to pay 5 times more to get resort features.

Perhaps it would be helpful here for people to post links to their top 4 or 5 rv parks for each type of destination, overnight stop without amenities, over night stop with amenities, short term destination park, long term destination park, and resort destination park.

For me, the one that stand out for overnight stop with amenities in the large park category is:

Amarillo RV ranch in Amarillo Texas, as they have an assembly line check in system and seem to have about 75% turn over daily if the day I was there is any indication. As well as a reasonable number of amenities, indoor pool, nice laundry room, small camp store, free donuts first thing in the morning (perhaps to encourage early check out) with a nice large lodge like common room.

https://amarilloranch.com/

For RV park at a tourist destination, I have a close tie between
Musicland Kampground in Branson, MO nice scenic hillside spaces, lots of trees, camp store, pool, laundry room, plus discount ticket service for local shows.

Branson Musicland Campground & RV Park | Good Sam Top Rated in Branson Missouri for RV Parks & Campgrounds

And the KOA Hotsprings National Park, Hot Springs Arkansas
It too was much the same as Musicland Campground with hillside shaded rv sites, though with slightly denser spacing, good camp store, on site cafe, as well as operating an on demand shuttle van to and from the nearby downtown historic district a couple of miles away (price of about $3 per person as I recall)
https://koa.com/campgrounds/hot-springs-national-park/

I don't really have any outstanding examples to offer for the other categories, I have stayed at one no frills roadfront kiosk pay station gravel site rv park off I-80 in Nebraska that I would like to recommend, on the low end no frills, but it needed some maintenance, fresh gravel, power post repair, and was not in a good location due to excessive road noise (too close to the road).
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 07:11 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBeaver View Post
>>>
...this got him thinking but he also realizes he knows nothing about the RV community let alone the revenue stream from a rv park.
<<<

He should forget the idea. Heavy capital investment into something one knows nothing about is a recipe for bankruptcy.
what could go wrong?
R and D is important.
rvethereyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 08:22 AM   #37

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvethereyet View Post
what could go wrong?
R and D is important.
Let me put this in perspective, this person did not become a one percenter by making poor uneducated decisions. The cost of making one RV park in central SC is pocket change for this individual. He own multiple mountain & beach homes personally, a yacht, and travels using Netjets.
I promise you he will not make an uninformed decision.

Being a builder/developer you would think he know houses. He took three years to decide to invest in rental homes, two years into it and he now has 70 rentals and growing.
When an idea arises he leaves no stone unturned, even if profitable it depends how much profit, he may walk away entirely if he feels he can make more money somewhere else.

The next year or two will tell, this has become a thought because of his daughter and son in law really like mountain falls, not as rv people (they have never had one) but as a development they watched grow. The conversation then became Columbia does not have one of these resorts. They quickly figured Columbia could not support a resort like this…. On to smaller thinking.

Thank you everyone for your input!
Steve
Old 11-06-2018, 08:49 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevL View Post
Let me put this in perspective, this person did not become a one percenter by making poor uneducated decisions. The cost of making one RV park in central SC is pocket change for this individual. He own multiple mountain & beach homes personally, a yacht, and travels using Netjets.
I promise you he will not make an uninformed decision.

Being a builder/developer you would think he know houses. He took three years to decide to invest in rental homes, two years into it and he now has 70 rentals and growing.
When an idea arises he leaves no stone unturned, even if profitable it depends how much profit, he may walk away entirely if he feels he can make more money somewhere else.

The next year or two will tell, this has become a thought because of his daughter and son in law really like mountain falls, not as rv people (they have never had one) but as a development they watched grow. The conversation then became Columbia does not have one of these resorts. They quickly figured Columbia could not support a resort like this…. On to smaller thinking.

Thank you everyone for your input!
Steve
With this info/input - he will not invest in a Park.

------

JMHO,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 07:49 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
It's not all that easy. What about the $million (or several millions) that the developer borrowed or invested to build those improvements that are being bulldozed?

Considering that I'm intimately familiar with the property, people and money involved, and you are not... all I can say is the current investment in the entertainment side is not close to 7 figures, not by a long shot.
Solo_RV_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 08:01 PM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
Google "RV parks for sale, or bankrupt". You'll see what's on the market. Eddie Elk.
1998 Pace Arrow Vision 36' w/460, '03 Honda CRV, FMCA #388823, Gateway Getaways RV Club
eddieelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 03:18 PM   #41

Keep in mind that the RV industry sales-of-units numbers are now higher than they were the last year pre-recession - and yet new parks (available spaces for those new units plus existing units) numbers haven't grown nearly as much. I'm not familiar with the eastern area, but in CA I can tell you we have more parks closing than we do new ones opening, even given this. The owners of the land the parks that are closing sit on, see they can make more money doing something else with the land, and anyone considering building a new park sees (at least once into it) that the permitting process is time-consuming and costly - and again, there are more profitable uses for the acreage than RV parks/campgrounds. After purchasing the property, that time period of getting the permits means no revenue coming in, and that for any businessman is not a good thing unless you know once you get those permits the revenue will justify that no-revenue period. The parks I am familiar with here were in the permit phase for at least two years - one has to be prepared for that, and have the pocketbook to go along with it. And that's assuming the permits can even be gotten. CA is not friendly to anything remotely potentially harmful to the environment, and RV parks to someone not familiar with them (like the planning departments of many cities and counties) are a huge environmental disaster waiting to happen.
So if your friend was thinking about doing this in CA I'd say he's either a fool or wants a hobby more than a business, but elsewhere, maybe he's smart?
Durango382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 04:26 PM   #42

Have you don the math on monthly?

Where does this guy think the economy is headed over the next 10 years?
I think America's debt will catch up to us...

I've met many seniors who do not have sufficient savings on which to live or it's all in their house.

In my home area in NW WA, monthly parks fill up as soon as they are built at about $400-$450/mo.

Does your area have a demand for affordable senior housing?

It seems like the ultimate rental property.
If you customer doesn't pay, I'm pretty sure they can be removed from the park pretty quickly. They won't wreck your carpets, etc.

100 spaces at $400/mo generates some decent revenue.
+ Trade 1-2 spaces for people to manage and maintain the place.
+ No need for all the retail level stuff people have mentioned.
+ Just need a safe, clean place with a little privacy if possible an laundry and maybe a meeting room/club house.

I believe if you do the math a monthly park can be a cash machine that is far better than any other form of monthly rental and much less work than nightly where the constant flow of new customers can ebb and flow.
mentalarson is offline   Reply With Quote