Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2011, 02:53 PM   #1

Dewinterize in Colorado in Late March?

We recently moved to CO and are contemplating a road trip to NM and AZ to see the petrified forest, painted desert and Grand Canyon in the last week of March. The trailer is an '08 FunFinder X160 and it is currently winterized. If we decide to take the camper on this trip, can I get away with dewinterizing before we leave? Can I leave it dewinterized after we return?

I suspect this is more a climate question than a travel trailer question, but would be grateful for any thoughts.
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2011, 03:15 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
I suspect this is more a climate question than a travel trailer question, but would be grateful for any thoughts.
If you have a compressor, you can use the blow out method to clear the water out of your system if you want to conserve resources.

Just a few ounces per trap will keep those pipes from freezing.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 03:37 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you have the cold weather package, you can probably get away with just heating the unit to around 40 degrees. Also depends at what elevation you live. We have a summer place near Westcliffe at about 8000' and it can get pretty cold in April.

Like the previous poster. Just drain the tanks, water heater and blow out the lines. Not really very time consuming and brings peace of mind.
Richard
Old 12-21-2011, 03:56 PM   #4

We live in the Denver area so the climate is not as extreme as in the high country.

No cold weather package, as this is a lightweight trailer. I have never actually doen the dewinterizing myself, so I don't have any idea how to do this stuff.
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:05 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
We live in the Denver area so the climate is not as extreme as in the high country.

No cold weather package, as this is a lightweight trailer. I have never actually doen the dewinterizing myself, so I don't have any idea how to do this stuff.
Not hard at all. Camping World sells the air adapter for the water hookup on your rig. You will have low point drains somewhere. Just open these and let em drain. I usually drain the water heater at this point. After that, close em up and blow out your faucets. Do not exceed 40 lbs of air to the adapter and open each faucet, hot and cold. Don't forget the toilet. After you blow em out, pour a little RV anti freeze into each drain. Be sure the holding tanks are empty. Also, if you have a water filter, make sure its empty. I am assuming you don,t have an icemaker. That's another problem.
Richard
Old 12-22-2011, 03:24 PM   #6

I've lived in Denver for 30+ years. March is pushing it. We will get below freezing temps in April. Them April showers that bring May flowers are usually in the form of snow showers. The weather folks say don't plant freeze fragile plants until Mother's Day. And I've seen a ton of broken brass sprinkler valves from neighbors who start to water in early April.

Just remember, there have been more white Easters in Denver than white Christmases - true fact! Re-winterize upon your return!! No question.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:33 PM   #7

Just what I was looking for. We have a 14' Fun Finder and we're going this weekend. I wasn't sure if just blowing the lines out would be enough or if I'd have to repeat the whole process. I'm hoping I'll be okay with blowing and adding a little antifreeze.

Thanks for the post that proves I'm not yet crazy.
SiberCamper is offline   Reply With Quote