Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2013, 08:44 AM   #15

Trish: Take a moment when you are in Walmart or your at the local auto parts store and pick up a jug of RV Antifreeze...you will read all about the NON TOXIC nature of the fluid. If you winterize you will be placing some of this right in your water tank. Now another posted that his lawn was browned by the stuff. I am sure that it can damage plants and green life...it has an alcohol in it in hte form of a glycol and plants can not tolerate this..which is true. I do dump mine right in the driveway....and let it flow out onto the lawn. I have not suffered brown spotting as far as I have ever witnessed.
http://www.chemicalspec.com/Winter_C...Antifreeze.pdf
Here is the MSDS sheet of a typical RV Antifreeze... there are two types...one is better than the other

Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2013, 07:23 PM   #16

Solo Rvers Club
Triple E Owners Club
http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poi...pylene-glycol/

Old 12-05-2013, 09:56 PM   #17

Hummm, a for-profit website promoting what they tout as poisonous, for $39 they will tell the caller the details. I believe the MSDS that is required by the EPA.
You might want to stop eating, propylene glycol is in many everyday foodstuffs. Ever eat Gummy Bears?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:14 AM   #18

I read the post Trish has offered ...and am assuming that the same warning is what a human might expect if they drink the RV Antifreeze... note that the PET POISON is LOW TO MILD depending on amount ingested.... Glad Trish has posted but by no means is dumping on the open ground creating a toxic issue that kills dogs and cats like an AUTO type antifreeze. Thanks Trish....
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:30 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
And for the people that use eye drops, be careful. They also have the propylene glycol in them. Is that why I am going blind or is it my old age?
Good luck and safe travels!
BeltoneMagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:34 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
I did have a brown burned spot on my green lawn for several months where I let some pink RV antifreeze flow...
No major problem drinking it like death. Just minor problems like causing you to be sick.

No thanks, I'll just blow out my lines with my air compressor.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:47 AM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvmweb View Post
Pink rv antifreeze = propylene glycol = non toxic
Green automotive antifreeze = ethylene glycol = toxic/poison
Yup, but pink automotive antifreeze can also = ethylene glycol.

In other words, although there are now some PG engine antifreeze formulations, there is no standardization of colors for toxic vs. non-toxic. Just assume that all engine antifreeze is poisonous, regardless of color.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:01 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby Mike View Post
Yup, but pink automotive antifreeze can also = ethylene glycol.

In other words, although there are now some PG engine antifreeze formulations, there is no standardization of colors for toxic vs. non-toxic. Just assume that all engine antifreeze is poisonous, regardless of color.
Read the MSDS. Only minor toxiciy. Consumption of more than 1000ppm in 8 hours will not kill you. Only causes liver damage.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:22 AM   #23

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyorancher View Post
Read the MSDS. Only minor toxiciy. Consumption of more than 1000ppm in 8 hours will not kill you. Only causes liver damage.
I think you're talking about the pink RV antifreeze that we use in water systems -- I'm talking about engine antifreeze, regardless of color. Ethylene glycol is extremely poisonous.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:42 AM   #24

I have owned my coach for 12 years and have winterized it a minimum of twice each year....... (once before we travel south in Dec and again when we return to COLD Wisconsin in March).

The following is not a recommendation....just what I do! :

I simply gravity drain ALL fresh water from my coach!
I've never blown out or added RV antifreeze to the fresh water system.........
However, I DO pour a cup of RV antifreeze in each of the p-traps, and 2 cups-full in the the Splendide washer, (running it through a spin cycle)...as well as 1/2 gal in both the black and grey tanks.

I have never had a freeze problem although the coach has seen below zero temps each early winter and below freezing temps each spring, (for days/weeks at a time).

Mel
'96 Safari, 132k miles, (105k mine)
Old 12-06-2013, 11:11 AM   #25

March may be OK in your area. We get hard freezes up until June. I just blow out my lines. Never a problem. Low point drain doesn't come with a warranty that it is low point. Water can still freeze in pipes in RV. Many RV manufactures have both blow out with air and RV antifeeze instructions. I just blow them out because easy to do, works well, and don't have to flush that yucky stuff out in the spring.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:01 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyorancher View Post
March may be OK in your area. We get hard freezes up until June. I just blow out my lines. Never a problem. Low point drain doesn't come with a warranty that it is low point. Water can still freeze in pipes in RV.
I just blow them out because easy to do, works well, and don't have to flush that yucky stuff out in the spring.
wyorancher
I agree with you about that that "yucky" stuff!

I also agree that blowing out the lines is easy... (however NOT blowing them out is even easier)!

As I said, I ONLY gravity drain my water system.
I do not blow out the lines.
The point I was trying to make, in post # 24, is this:
Although some water may/does remain in the low points of the pipes/system, when that remaining water freezes it causes no damage!.... (It HAS NOT caused damage in the 12 years my coach has been stored in below zero Wisconsin winters).

Apparently you somehow got the impression that it never freezes here in March and April?
In my post I said, "We return to COLD Wisconsin in March" and
"the coach sees below freezing temps each spring, (for days/weeks at a time).
BTW, I also said that "gravity draining only" when winterizing "is not a recommendation... just what I do!"

Mel
In central WI, (10 below last night)
Old 12-07-2013, 04:51 PM   #27

22 below in Cody last night. Fortunately no wind. A few years back our diesel broke down @ 35 below. diesel gelled. Wind chill was 60 below. Fortunately WY highway patrol came by within a few minutes. Couple of weeks later sold the diesel and bought a V10.

Tags
winter