Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2017, 09:05 PM   #1

Dexter Axles

Hello all,and TIA for any/all replies. I searched the forums for this topic,with no results. My question is,how much grease do you pump into ez lube Dexter axles,My TT is a 2017,we put approx. 2k miles on it before storage for the winter. I read somewhere that the manufacturer doesn't alway necessarily put very much grease in them. I just don't want to put too much and cause damage to the seals or brake pads. Thanks.
grmaestas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2017, 09:08 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Here's a link to some previous threads that may have your answer.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Dext...com&gws_rd=ssl

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 04:32 AM   #3
paz

There is a video on the Dexter website that shows exactly how it's done.
https://www.dexteraxle.com/resources...-z-lube-system

Damage to the seals is usually caused by pumping grease in too fast under high pressure as might be done with an air-powered grease gun. Dexter recommends always using a hand-operated gun as shown in the video.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 06:14 AM   #4

Never trusted the Dexters, always packed by hand.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 07:14 AM   #5

Remove the grease fittings and install a plug. Hand pack the bearings when you do your annual brake inspection.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 07:36 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I agree. There's no need to grease at all, unless you're backing a trailer into the water, like a boat trailer. I had them on my 5th wheel and always re-packed the bearings every year.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 10:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
I agree. There's no need to grease at all, unless you're backing a trailer into the water, like a boat trailer. I had them on my 5th wheel and always re-packed the bearings every year.

I'm confused,you say there's no need to grease at all,unless it's a boat trailer,then the next sentence you say you repack every year on your fifth wheel?
grmaestas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 11:11 AM   #8

Well I for one think the dexter system works very well as long as you don't get carried away with the grease gun. I put in about 4 shots in the beginning of the year and take out the excess in the cap so it's not overloaded with grease. I clean and repack every 3 years or so depending on amount of use.
buzz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 12:21 PM   #9

I have Dexter's under our 16 5vr, and I'm old school. I'll be removing/inspecting and repacking our bearings before our first trip this year. We put about 4000+ miles on it last year.
Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 02:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmor View Post
Remove the grease fittings and install a plug. Hand pack the bearings when you do your annual brake inspection.
Our last 5er had EZ-lube axles, I never used the grease zerk, preferring hand repacking. Dexter says to remove the bearings, clean and inspect, then repack and replace annually. Why fuss with the zerk fitting then??
The Dexter website plainly says EZ-lube feature is designed for boat trailers.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 02:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Our last 5er had EZ-lube axles, I never used the grease zerk, preferring hand repacking. Dexter says to remove the bearings, clean and inspect, then repack and replace annually. Why fuss with the zerk fitting then??
The Dexter website plainly says EZ-lube feature is designed for boat trailers.
I agree, 100% only used the easy lube feature once in 5 years of use on my last 5er. In the middle of a cross country, 12,000 mile trip .
If you continually use the easy lube feature , eventually the used grease from the inner bearing is pushed into the outer.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:20 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Not a travel trailer but my car trailer has the dexter axles and I also do a yearly inspect, I remove the tires and wheels for the winter and bag the brakes with heavy black garbage bags. Each spring I remove drums to inspect brakes, remove and hand pack inner and outer bearings and install new seals on all four. May be over kill but I would rather not deal with bearing issues, spindles on the side of the road. As been stated the grease fittings were originally designed and developed for the boat trailers to help replenish the grease after introducing water into the spindle and bearings. The grease fittings do not put grease into the bearing like a hand pack job does and over time the build up of the grease can't be contained by the seal and now the brakes, magnets and wires are covered in grease. I'd rather spend 2 hrs in my back yard maintaining the trailer at the start of the season, and not have to worry about it. JMO.
porchracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 06:06 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmaestas View Post
I'm confused,you say there's no need to grease at all,unless it's a boat trailer,then the next sentence you say you repack every year on your fifth wheel?
No confusion at all. Greasing through a zerk with a gun and packing bearings are two different things.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 04:47 AM   #14
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
No confusion at all. Greasing through a zerk with a gun and packing bearings are two different things.
They are two different methods that attempt to achieve the same result - to get fresh grease into the bearings.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote