Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2014, 05:30 PM   #1

Dicor question

I have read on their website that if applying in colder weather that you should let the tube warm to room temp first. It says nothing about ambient temps that I can find . Its low 50's in the day up here right now with mid 20's at night . Is this too cold to apply ? Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2014, 06:36 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm looking at a tube of Dicor right now and it says pretty much what the web site says. Personally, I would not risk applying it in cold weather.

Conventional caulk tubes say the application temperature range is between 40 and 100 degrees. I've also read that it should be applied only when the air temperature is scheduled to be at least 60 degrees for the day. I tend to follow this same direction with Dicor.

Old 11-05-2014, 06:47 PM   #3

The tube must be warm (60-80*F) so it will run/ "self-level" when applied. It only needs to be above freezing to cure:
Lap Sealant Cure times.
5 Minutes - Skins over
4 Hours - Waterproof
48 Hours - Cure 80%
30 Days - 100% Cure
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:50 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
50s would not be considerd cold 30's would.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:10 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
It's supposed to be nice in my area over the next week, but at the same time it'll be cold. Supposed to be 7 degrees(44F). I have a leaky shower skylight in my 2005 Journey and I HAVE to fix it. My motorhome sits outside so I am hoping it won't rain. What is the consensus? If the caulking tube is indoors and warm, is 7 degrees too cold to use? Also, I read somewhere that dicor shouldn't be used between the skylight and the fiberglas roof. If that's true, why?
Deucenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 09:33 PM   #6

Dicor would not be my choice on a fiberglass roof. However if it what you have I suggest for a small area use a work light to warm the area up and get the tubes about 80 deg for application. I use a 500w work light to warm up small repair areas in cold weather works like a heat lamp.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:42 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mainiac View Post
Dicor would not be my choice on a fiberglass roof. However if it what you have I suggest for a small area use a work light to warm the area up and get the tubes about 80 deg for application. I use a 500w work light to warm up small repair areas in cold weather works like a heat lamp.
What would be your first choice on a fiberglas roof? And why not Dicor? Thanks
Old 11-09-2014, 09:47 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I have used Dicor on my fiberglass roof. Works great. The key is to make sure the area is perfectly clean. And don't be stingy with it. I have never applied it when cold, however. Suspect that it would not adhere very well to cold fiberglass. /ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 10:01 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumps View Post
Suspect that it would not adhere very well to cold fiberglass. /ken
I think I am gonna have to call Dicor and just ask…who better to know then them? I'll post their answer after I have called.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deucenut View Post
What would be your first choice on a fiberglas roof? And why not Dicor? Thanks
Because not one manufacture with a fiberglass roof uses it would be the first reason. Alpha 1015 would be a possible choice but the stuff we use I can't remember right this second it comes in a all white tube. Tiffin and several coach manufactures use it. Dicor does not bind as well with Gel coat it will stick to fiberglass but since the glass is usually gel coated that is a issue. Dicor works best with EPDM roofs much the same as Dyco 20/20 works best on metal roofs and Alpha 1016 works best on Vinyl roofs.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:40 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
How about Surebond SB-140? I've read that it works well on anything. Anyone have any experience with it?
Old 11-10-2014, 08:57 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
There are lots of ways to get the temp up for application after I wouldn't worry.Dicor is a sticky nasty stuff. It is used on fiberglass all the time. Cleaning is the key. Build a tent to cover the area and use an electric heater to warm the area if you feel the need. Also a heat gun or hair dryer will heat the area for application and make it level better.

LEN
Old 11-10-2014, 02:03 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
I called Dicor direct today. I was told that 40F was the lowest temp it should be applied. I was told that it could be applied in lower temps than 40F, however the cure times would be greatly affected. The tech told me to keep the tube at room temps prior to use. As for applying to Fiberglas, they told me it will adhere with no problems to Fiberglas. In fact it will adhere to anything...except silicone...

Tags
dicor