Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2019, 10:10 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Did I do right?

Setup: We have been searching and researching the best RV for about 6 months.

Scenario: Late model Class C Winnebago advertised on Craigslist (and RVTrader) asking price $8K under NADA average retail. ‘Seller needed quick sale because of ongoing real estate deal.’ I inspected the vehicle and made full asking offer. I knew that the seller had a lien on the vehicle. I described the transaction I envisioned; we would go to his lender, I would pay off his lien, get the title, they would hand over the RV. All done. I’ve never spent this much money on a non-appreciating asset...ever. Seller, “Oh, the title isn’t held locally.”

It turned out that the seller’s lender was a National Bank and the titles were not stored locally. I said I would go with him to his bank, and with assurances from his bank that the title would be sent to me, do it that way. This somehow was not doable for the seller or not how the bank does business. The seller mentions escrow.com. I went to their website and the fees were less than clear but they said they couldn’t do both the money and the title in one transaction. I guessed that it would cost $1400 in fees.

All through this, the seller kept saying how many people have been contacting him and how my inspection had really held up the sale.

In spite of paying for an RV inspection, at this point I decided to back out. I know, I have kicked myself enough already for not finding out the status of the title before ordering the inspection. Hindsight and all that.

So what do most people do when presented with a private seller, a title that’s not kept locally for a RV that cost the equivalent of a house (almost), just trust the seller will clear the title after you pay the money and drive off in the RV? I had all sorts of worst case scenarios running the rough my mind. Seller takes the money and runs, seller doesn’t really own the RV....RV has already been sold, awaiting pickup...

What do you do? What should I have done. (for future reference)

Thanks in Advance,

Dave
dkingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2019, 10:21 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Sorry you missed out on the RV after all of that, but you did the right thing.

When dealing with private sellers (just like cars and trucks), the seller should be the one footing any costs associated with the title. The fact that his bank was not local complicates his life, but shouldn't complicate your's. Sounds like this guy wanted way too much trust on your part and perhaps too much risk.

If this experience makes you gun-shy about private sales for your next round, then look for a dealer within a reasonable distance from you. They already have all the title and registration stuff figured out and makes the process a little less painless. Most have deals with prices close to or even less than private sellers. I've found that many private sellers have unrealistic expectations as to what the current market really is.

Good luck with your search!
RI Expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 10:32 AM   #3

Just assume it was a scam (sure sounds like the kind of scams with RVs I've been reading about for 16 years now), and walk away. You did the right thing for sure.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 10:50 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Yes, always follow your gut on these things. I think you did right.
Old 12-20-2019, 10:55 AM   #5

I agree with the other responses, something was fishy here. If it was on the up-and-up, the seller could have done something to clean up the transaction.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 11:04 AM   #6

It's completely on the seller to ensure that you, the buyer, have no gap in between handing over money and having security in the title. If he needs a quick sale, he needs to do his homework and prepare for it.

This probably wasn't a scam - but the seller has bolluxed up the process.

You did exactly the right thing.

So long as you keep considering private sellers with the same eye you used on this one, you'll do fine. Your instincts served you well. Hand the money over with one hand, take the title into your other hand.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 11:17 AM   #7

Reeks of scam. I especially don't like the seller's inability to visit his own bank and the "escrow.com" angle. I agree that you did right.

When I bought my rig there was a problem with the paperwork -- the title had been "jumped" (not processed for each transfer of ownership). I didn't see the current owner's name on any of the paperwork, and the title was out-of-state. I wasn't going to put ANY effort into his administrative shortcomings, and I was a little annoyed that I had made a 400-mile round trip on the assurance that the rig was "ready to go." I had the seller give me my deposit back and told him to contact me when he had proper documentation. In the meantime, I said I'd be continuing my search.

A couple of weeks later he called to say everything was now copacetic. Although the title was still out-of-state and in someone else's name, he assured me that DMV had a process to clean it up. He offered an additional $1500 discount to compensate for having inconvenienced me.

When I returned, we went to the DMV and the bank together. I simply stood to one side as he sorted it out with the clerks. I signed nothing and no money changed hands until both the DMV and bank agreed that the title was proper to be transferred to my name.

It worked out except that my research showed the bus to be a model 4096. That model wasn't specifically listed in the DMV database, so the clerk said there is no such thing, and chose a different Mountainaire model at random.
rodekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 11:28 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
One more agreement with all the replies thus far. The seller's repeated "excuses" of not being able to close the deal the "proper" way coupled with their high pressure concerning holding up other deals, something just don't smell right!!!! OP, don't kick yourself, rather pat yourself on the back knowing that you probably dodged a huge bullet!
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 12:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkingman View Post
It turned out that the seller’s lender was a National Bank and the titles were not stored locally. I said I would go with him to his bank, and with assurances from his bank that the title would be sent to me, do it that way. This somehow was not doable for the seller or not how the bank does business.
First big red flag! National banks like Chase and Wells Fargo and Bank of America, etc. can and will be happy to assist both the buyer and seller of an item they have a lien on. You can walk into any branch and get the info you need. Much of that info will need the owner present, but that would be easy if the guy actually owns the RV.

Quote:
The seller mentions escrow.com. I went to their website and the fees were less than clear but they said they couldn’t do both the money and the title in one transaction. I guessed that it would cost $1400 in fees.
That's the second red flag. If you can't talk to someone who can clearly explain all the fees involved, they are going to nickle and dime you to death. Also, if the money transaction and title transaction are the same transaction. If they can't do that, they can't sell the vehicle.

Quote:
All through this, the seller kept saying how many people have been contacting him and how my inspection had really held up the sale.
And that's the third red flag. People who buy and sell on Craigslist and RVtrader (and any other websites for that matter) know that the first person with the money gets it. If he was actually trying to sell the RV, he would have been showing it to those other people too. Your inspection wouldn't have held up a sale in any way. This reminds me of those "hurry up and buy now for this limited time offer" used car salesmen.

I've sold on websites before. Let people do all the inspections they want to, but the first guy who has cash walks away with the items. It's that simple.

Quote:
In spite of paying for an RV inspection, at this point I decided to back out. I know, I have kicked myself enough already for not finding out the status of the title before ordering the inspection. Hindsight and all that.

So what do most people do when presented with a private seller, a title that’s not kept locally for a RV that cost the equivalent of a house (almost), just trust the seller will clear the title after you pay the money and drive off in the RV? I had all sorts of worst case scenarios running the rough my mind. Seller takes the money and runs, seller doesn’t really own the RV....RV has already been sold, awaiting pickup...

I would have done exactly the same as you. With that amount of money on the line, I wouldn't trust the seller to take care of title work and then just hand me the title. I also would have walked away from that deal. The title means everything on an asset like that.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 12:22 PM   #10

Seems like the bank could have made this work since the hold the title.

I handed a guy 19k for a motorcycle once.
I was waiting for the title from is bank for 6 weeks and it came thru.
Would not do it again!
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 12:57 PM   #11

Plus one for me too,,, SCAM!

First, there shouldn't have been any problem getting a hold of the bank to find out what the status of the title was. The suggestion of going through an escrow company and paying $1400 in fees seems crazy for what we're talking about here. The icing on the cake was the attempt to coax the OP into doing something dumb by telling him there were many other potential buyers waiting.

OP, you did good by walking away. You learned a bit and now have a better idea what to ask and look for on the next one. Problems do occur with titles and can be straightened out with some work. Imo though, it's not worth the hassle.
Old 12-20-2019, 02:05 PM   #12

Did I do right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkingman View Post
Setup: We have been searching and researching the best RV for about 6 months.

Scenario: Late model Class C Winnebago advertised on Craigslist (and RVTrader) asking price $8K under NADA average retail. ‘Seller needed quick sale because of ongoing real estate deal.’ I inspected the vehicle and made full asking offer. I knew that the seller had a lien on the vehicle. I described the transaction I envisioned; we would go to his lender, I would pay off his lien, get the title, they would hand over the RV. All done. I’ve never spent this much money on a non-appreciating asset...ever. Seller, “Oh, the title isn’t held locally.”

It turned out that the seller’s lender was a National Bank and the titles were not stored locally. I said I would go with him to his bank, and with assurances from his bank that the title would be sent to me, do it that way. This somehow was not doable for the seller or not how the bank does business. The seller mentions escrow.com. I went to their website and the fees were less than clear but they said they couldn’t do both the money and the title in one transaction. I guessed that it would cost $1400 in fees.

Thanks in Advance,

Dave

I had this scenario buying a boat. My bank at the time suggested I might hire an attorney to oversee the transaction. It cost me $400 at the time (2009).Turned out to be money well spent. My lawyer searched the title and found out there was a tax lien on the title from another state that had not been satisfied nor was listed on the paper title the sellers finance company was holding. If not for the lawyer money would have changed hands and when I applied for a new title the lien would have prevented me getting a title.The sale went through but only after the seller satisfied the lien and a new title from the seller’s (finance company was provided to my lawyer who held the money in escrow.

Everyone hates lawyers but they can save you a lot of grief when big money is involved.
Old 12-20-2019, 02:18 PM   #13

You dodged a bullet.
The bank would deal directly with you in the case of a lien if financed thru them.
Or the RV dealership if they financed the purchase.
Sounds like the seller had other financial issues.
It should never be complicated when you’ve got cash.
Never pay in Cash.
Use a check that can be stopped if needed.
Best Wishes
Old 12-20-2019, 02:35 PM   #14

If it doesn’t feel right, walk away.