Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-01-2014, 06:57 AM   #1
Question Did our first weekend in the 5th wheel...

First off thanks in advance for a great community and any help.

My wife and I did a lot of reading before we did our fist weekend trip with our RV. We took the advice of most of the checklists and camped in a park right next to the dealer in case we had "issues".

The checklist I think really helped us out and we spent most of our spare time organizing (DW was trying to make everything look nice and I was going behind her trying to make sure it was easy to 'secure' when we left).

So here are a couple of things that we need help with:

1. We don't have room at our home and will be storing the RV off site. If we have trips planned within a couple of weeks would you recommend leaving the roof vents open a tad? We have the vent covers.
2. Our RV came with a gas grill that 'mounts' to the side. Should I just toss it in the pass through storage (that is the only storage we have). Or do you even use it?
3. I have a tote bin for our sewer hose, one for our water hose and another for misc stuff, connectors and other stuff. (I'm disabled and its easier to toss the stuff in a tote). Do you all recommend tossing those totes in the pass through and let them slide around? The only reason I ask is and this is the only design I don't agree with, the toilet pipe runs on the left side of the pass through (it should have been behind a wall IMO) and I don't want a "flying" tote to crack "the most important pipe in the RV" lol. I could be over thinking this but I wanted the thoughts of the pros.
4. I do take some trips alone do you recommend a backup camera for the RV or is getting out checking the area enough (when not at a pull through)?

I'm sure I'll have many more questions and I'll keep reading.

Thanks again,

runningp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2014, 07:18 AM   #2
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Howdy and welcome aboard. Glad your outing went well and hope the future ones are just as great. Enjoy!

Steve & Sally / HiTee & Hudson Our Little Poms / Heidi & Houston Forever in our Hearts
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22 / 05 PT Vert
Michigan (Summer) Florida (Winter)
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:18 AM   #3
We did over 25,000 miles, 2 trucks, over 9 years with our fifthwheel.
I used 2 bins for my hoses which I would open to air out and dry between trips. As far as sliding around, they never moved on the basements carpet floor. I carried a 20 lb cylinder to fire up my weber grill also toted in the basement in a milk crate. I kept 2 vents cracked to let some heat out when parked outside. Prolonged storage in the open will discolor most outside plastic parts and cause decals to curl in a few short years. I never had a tire problem because we used ours every weekend or every other weekend along with several week long trips to keep the tire juices flowing and the fact I went straight to a G rated tire.
You should get enough 1" and 2" lumber cuts to assist in leveling even if your unit came with electric jacks to decrease their over extension leading to excessive trailer movement. Have fun with your new toy.
bailiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:05 AM   #4
First welcome.
Now to your questions.
1) yes with vent covers leave vents open. We have only closed ours when AC is on.
2) the grill is your choice. Depends if you chose to use it. IMO carry it for now and try it to see.
3) i have everything in our basement organised in bins. The ride perfectly fine on the carpet and it is nice to be able to find stuff. I think small stuff would roll around all over the place.

markroblee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:33 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Glad your trip went well. It only gets easier after the 1st one.
1. Yes, leave vents cracked since you have covers
2. Put it in the storage bin
3. We didn't have problems w/bins moving when we had our 5-r. However, we had plenty of bins so there wasn't any place for them to slide to.
4. We installed a back up camera on our 5-r & it was quite helpful. Is it a necessity? No, but it's a convenience that can allow you not to be hopping in/out of your truck especially when it's raining cats n dogs when you're trying to back into your campsite. However, a camera still doesn't take the place of getting out & at least looking the site over completely at least once before you start trying to shimmy into it. Backup cameras don't show low-hanging tree branches that could easily damage your roof.

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 02:27 PM   #6
Thanks all so far for the great answers and help. I get excited every time I read new stuff on this site…DW is about to enforce martial law on my credit card from the goodies. I'm kinda kidding I have really tried to wait until I've read what others here have done or after we need it before purchasing.

Thanks again.

runningp is offline   Reply With Quote

5th wheel