Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2015, 02:52 PM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
When we started full timing we said we do it until we got too sick, too old, or too bored. After 11 years of full timing a combination of all three things caught up with us so we bought a house in western CO and had all of our stuff moved here from NH. We tried snow birding for a year and then moved into the house for good. The motor home was sold last summer.
When we stored stuff we had sold all of the big appliances and most of the soft furniture but still had a lot of stuff.

I am sure glad we did not follow the convectional advice and get rid of all of it.
We have spent about $15,000 buying what we need for the house - stuff that we sold for maybe 10 percent of what it cost back then.

If we had to replace what we had stored - like guns, complete woodworking shop, my wifes equipment for building miniatures, her genealogy research records and small appliances, desks and office equipment, and my electronic gear, it would have cost a lot more than what we spent for storage.
Some things like heirlooms that came from as far back as our great grand parents could not be replaced at any cost.

As an aside, while full timing we so loved the freedom from yard work that we have zeriscaped our grounds to eliminate yard work as much as possible. It has certainly minimized it to a point where it can be handled even if we become limited by health issues.
That is common in western CO so it isn't out of place. The house has vinyl siding so it is a very low maintenance item.
We have also put in two RV sites with hookups for RV friends that visit.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2015, 03:23 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Clay it sounds like you had a good run,11 years is a long time,
What you said about selling everything is what's really had me thinking,the house we want to sell because we don't want to come back here.

Old 11-01-2015, 08:39 PM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
This is really providing some great insights. We travel about 7-8 months a year and still maintain our home. We've given some thought to downsizing to a smaller home and basing our home in a lower tax state. We (really I) love the travel and have begun sharing what we've learned in our 350,000 mile in the last 5 years with our grandkids (we've 16 of them). Check our 8500 mile post, what a great time. (Next year on to Natchez Trace and New England.)

Anyway, in September I had a total knee replacement. During the convalescence, the necessity of maintaining a comfortable fixed home has become very clear for us. Not sure us older folks still need a 4000 sq ft home but it sure has been comfortable.

So again, thanks for the insights. For now, I believe we will continue our full time/part time approach.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:03 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
I like the way you think Bigben,theres a lot to consider here.

My main reason for starting this thread is because everyday I read on here where someone is selling out and going full time RVing,i've,never yet have I seen a single person say I hated it and couldn't get off the road fast enough,but you know those people are out there,i just wish they would share there experience.
Old 11-01-2015, 09:12 PM   #19

We sold the house and everything in it and happily full-timed and traveled constantly for 16 years. It took us that long to zero in on where we wanted to end! We ended up in an area that we would have never dreamed of living in the past. We bought a very small maintenance-free home in a awesome 55+ very active community. It came completely furnished with top quality furnishings to match the Southwest area.

Full-timing was a terrific lifestyle and we have absolutely no regrets. Although we experienced some medical issues along with surgeries and cancer, that did not keep us from enjoying full-timing. Anything is doable while living in a RV. We started in our 50's and are now still young enough to enjoy the many activities we love. Daily pickleball is our favorite.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:14 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We sold everything except some keepsakes like pictures and a box of knick-knacks. We kept pots, pans, clothes etc.
I know my health will get bad enough we will have to stop at some point. We will simply rent a nice apartment and furnish it. I have tools I use on the RV for repairs and such.
I know if I am too ill to operate the RV I'm too ill to maintain a home, so why bother? Why pay Condo fees and a mortgage or a pile of cash. If you save or store furniture, how do you know it will work in your next home?
Anyone with hobbies like woodworking, welding, painting etc may want to consider a park model in a RV resort. I was amazed at the number of workshops, craft centers and other things available in these resorts. Buy a used park model 2 bedrooms with a sunporch for $30-60k. A golf cart to zip around in?

For me, a nice apartment with a couple of bedrooms, I'd be a happy non- camper!
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 10:12 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
We sold everything except some keepsakes like pictures and a box of knick-knacks. We kept pots, pans, clothes etc.
I know my health will get bad enough we will have to stop at some point. We will simply rent a nice apartment and furnish it. I have tools I use on the RV for repairs and such.
I know if I am too ill to operate the RV I'm too ill to maintain a home, so why bother? Why pay Condo fees and a mortgage or a pile of cash. If you save or store furniture, how do you know it will work in your next home?
Anyone with hobbies like woodworking, welding, painting etc may want to consider a park model in a RV resort. I was amazed at the number of workshops, craft centers and other things available in these resorts. Buy a used park model 2 bedrooms with a sunporch for $30-60k. A golf cart to zip around in?

For me, a nice apartment with a couple of bedrooms, I'd be a happy non- camper!
This is a small 1 bedroom in St. George, Utah. Not fancy but at $12,500 not too shabby. Especially if you still want to wander a bit. 450 miles to Montrose Co and western slope, 120 miles to Vegas, 128 miles to Bryce Canyon, etc.
There was a furnished larger unit for $25k.

After a year in 38', 3 slides, I doubt there would be an issue with a small 1 bedroom. But a 2 bedroom would allow for a guest room for visitors. It's a definite option. But as I always say, hard to say what the future holds.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1446437015996.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	110945   Click image for larger version

Name:	1446437053008.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	110946  

flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 07:39 AM   #22

"you know those people are out there,i just wish they would share there experience. "

The one who hated it probably don't read this forum now. You won't hear from them.

Tom
TLGPE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 07:52 AM   #23

When we went full time in 2010 we had a 5yr. plan to travel leisurely all across the country, which we have done. We're now waiting for our new home to be built in S.C. so we can start our new adventure, which is overseas travel. As the saying goes...so much to see and do...so little time.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 08:37 AM   #24

We are in year 13 of a planned 20 year full timing run. Bought the coach new and expect it to last through our full time needs and then probably another 10 years of part timing.

Circumstances will probably have us exiting the full time life style around year 18 to 19 as a couple opportunities will present themselves at that point. We bought an RV property in the north and one in the south so we have a home base(s) to go to when we want to get off the road. We still do some seasonal work and as long as we do we will continue to full time. Once we are fully retired we will probably exit the full time lifestyle as we will spend more time exploring over seas and less in North America. We still enjoy our full time lifestyle and the good lord willing we will continue our adventure.

We have decided already that any house we buy will be max 800 square feet.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:56 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We haven't given up on it and in fact, Sandee went from a 3 year plan to a 10 year goal, if not more. Still...someday that time will come.

I agree with a previous post that those who gave up on it because they hated it won't be here. However, there are many that just arrived to a point that either they were forced to by conditions they could not control (health, family needs...) or simply wanted a change.

I think the key is that as long as there is more value in mobility than S&B we will enjoy our journey. Certainly something outside the norm could play a part. If we won a Powerball/Mega Millions jack pot we would certainly enjoy other adventures we couldn't afford now. It would probably include a cool, new Newmar but also lots of foreign travel too. AHHH...LOL

As to one other person's point about selling everything I think that is extremely individual in nature. We opted to sell everything and keep a few relatively small bins of "stuff" with family. Our S&B was about 1900 sq ft but we didn't have a lot of things like shop tools, woodworking tools and other large, expensive and bulky stuff. The way we figured it was that when the time comes we get off the road for good we would have a smaller place, our stuff would be old and dated, and we would want new, fresh stuff. If we go 10 years, not paying for storage will cover a lot of what we will need to buy.

We are fortunate enough to have fixed pensions with good survivor benefits, the ability to double cover ourselves with health insurance, reasonable savings and sufficient life insurance to get planted when the times comes.

When that time comes we hope it is because we had achieved our goals. We hope when that day comes we find joy in what we did and the hope for new adventures in what we are about to do next. In the mean time we are trying to see as much of the US as possible and hopefully find that place to settle down when the time comes.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:05 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have been Full Time now for 16 years and 4 days.
Exit plan time not make yet, other then not being able to drive, health problem or death will probably end my Full time.

Even during Full Time I have had one operation, followed with chemo and 35 Radiation treatments almost 4 years ago.

Plan on my present MH out lasting me.
But it was born only 1 year 2 months before I retired.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:16 AM   #27

Did you give up on full-timing

I never will "give up" (it's not in my vocabulary), but I may be physically forced out after a time, or I may simply change my mind!
We dreamed of it for about 40 years.
Year 4 is underway, and the Journey is still our Destination.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:46 AM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
After 5 1/2 years full timing we are finally ready to part time for awhile and are looking at small homes with large RV garages. We have absolutely loved our travels to date, but find we can only absorb so many museums and parks. After planning for and being on "vacation" 365 days a year for over 5 years we are ready to "go home" for awhile and venture out 6-7 months per year. Yes, we could just stay parked in our coach 6-7 months a year, but if we're going to be parked that much we may as well do it in the comfort of a stick and brick and save wear and tear on our coach for actual travels.

We got rid of all of our "things" when we hit the road and have no regrets... whatever furniture and electronics we had would likely not fit well in our future new home and the prospect of getting the latest/greatest all new is honestly pretty exciting. 5 years from now we may decide to do something else and that's ok too... life is an adventure and we're sure enjoying it!