Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2012, 07:08 AM   #1

Did You Know ....?

Did you know that the color and width of pavement markings hold significant meaning? Care to venture a guess as to what the colors are telling you when you see yellow and or white markings, such as one would find on a typical US Interstate? Which side of the Interstate driving lane has the white line and which side has the yellow line?

How about the marking or line width? What does a narrow line or a wide line mean?
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2012, 07:19 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
I give ... What do they mean?
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:25 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't know about the width of the markings, but yellow stripe is always on the left side (driver's side) of the road and the white stripe is on the right side (passenger's side) for the direction the traffic is headed.
gmadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:44 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post

Did you know that the color and width of pavement markings hold significant meaning? Care to venture a guess as to what the colors are telling you when you see yellow and or white markings, such as one would find on a typical US Interstate? Which side of the Interstate driving lane has the white line and which side has the yellow line?

How about the marking or line width? What does a narrow line or a wide line mean?
That one tells me the paint crew had a 3 martini lunch.
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:22 AM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
If you're asking, you probably should go back to Driver's Ed. Here's a link:
Signs, Signals, and Markings - Road Marking

As highway budgets become tighter, lines are fading away.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:01 PM   #6

I had one of our 16 year old neighbor's children ask me that question when she was studying for her drivers permit. She was trying to trip me up knowing that in my former life I had to know that type of question, and she was hoping to be able to say "I know something you don't". She also said that none of the adults she has talked to knew the correct answer, except for me. In fact, some of the adults didn't realize that roads had different color pavement markings.

So, that got me thinking. Here on iRV2 there have been many discussions as to upgrading drivers licensing to CDL’s or some other higher level than a plane old drivers license, air brake endorsements and the like. I was wondering how many of you knew some of this basic stuff.

In the national and state highway systems, the colors do mean something. In general white markings to indicate that crossing that line you might encounter traffic going in the same direction as you are traveling, and yellow lines indicating that if you cross that line you might encounter traffic going in the opposite direction from you. Two lane bidirectional traveled roadways will always have yellow center line markings.

Even more basic is that it is against the law to pass when there is a double white or yellow line on the roadway. Seems more and more I see “crazies” passing on the double yellow white line without a care in the world.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:15 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club

Solid double line; he should have known not to cross it.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:23 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
I had one of our 16 year old neighbor's children ask me that question when she was studying for her drivers permit.
You have a 16 year old neighbor with a child old enough to be getting her drivers permit?

All the license and education programs can't fix stupid when it comes to taking responsibility behind the wheel. I used to comute 30 miles one way to work. I'd see drivers reading a book, magazine or newspaper on the interstate, applying make up, (one driver even using a eyelash crimper traveling 60 mph. If she'd hit a bump probably would have ripped an eyelid off!) This was before cell phones became ubiquitous ear jewelry and texting became the rage. (Let's see, design a device to allow clear two way voice communication then use it to imitate the technology of 1830, one way short written messages -- telegrams)(and charge extra above the voice charges) Multi-tasking is great, but not behind the wheel.

Besides learning the meaning of the color and patterns of the line markings, a realistic understanding of physics and the consequences of not paying attention to ALL aspects of guiding a 3000+ lb. object down the road is something many folks don't take seriously.

Bob & Donna
Old 11-19-2012, 11:57 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
All the license and education programs can't fix stupid when it comes to taking responsibility behind the wheel. I used to comute 30 miles one way to work. I'd see drivers reading a book, magazine or newspaper on the interstate, applying make up, (one driver even using a eyelash crimper traveling 60 mph. If she'd hit a bump probably would have ripped an eyelid off!) This was before cell phones became ubiquitous ear jewelry and texting became the rage. (Let's see, design a device to allow clear two way voice communication then use it to imitate the technology of 1830, one way short written messages -- telegrams)(and charge extra above the voice charges) Multi-tasking is great, but not behind the wheel.
As a retired transportation engineer I've spent my working years along the freeways/roadways and I've seen much of that too!! Especially the newspaper/magazine readers. Got off the roadway before handheld cell phones came around!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshan View Post
That one tells me the paint crew had a 3 martini lunch.
i'm thinking that's one for jay leno.
wonderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:17 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
You have a 16 year old neighbor with a child old enough to be getting her drivers permit?
Looks like I need to go back to grammar school. I don't think even this is possible here in Kentucky.

Reminds me of a specification for installing waterlines in a upscale neighborhood I once encountered. The specification read "all waterline trenches must be backfilled using shovels". We calculated the number of shovels it would take to fill in that trench and presented the design engineer responsible for the statement with a purchase order for her to sign for the shovels.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:19 AM   #12

It has been a long time since I had to pass a drivers test. I guess some reminders now and then would be a good thing..
RABBITFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:43 AM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Looks like I need to go back to grammar school. I don't think even this is possible here in Kentucky.

We calculated the number of shovels it would take to fill in that trench and presented the design engineer responsible for the statement with a purchase order for her to sign for the shovels.
I'm glad you took it humorously, not maliciously. That was my intent. On the shovel calculation, was that done nesting the shovels or randomly tossing them in the trench?

I've recently seen lines and symbols marking bike lanes that took a minute or two to figure out. I wonder if there are guidelines for them now? Not far from my house there is a 3 light signal in front of a firehouse. The bottom light is yellow and always blinking. I was taught a long time ago that the bottom position was always green, to enable color blind drivers interpret signals. Then I thought about it and decided the bottom blinking, yellow or green, still means proceed so I've kept quiet about it. (till now)

I agree that review of rules, regulations, and markings should be constant for those who take on the responsibility to drive on the public highways.

Now about that Kentucky crack....

Bob & Donna
Old 11-20-2012, 01:48 PM   #14

Frisbee possum.
sadiebug is offline   Reply With Quote