Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2005, 06:15 AM   #1

While I was putting together a post for a neighboring rving forum, I googled my user name, 'Little Kopit' & I found out something about IRV2 Forum. It's linked to search engines.

So, whatever you say here maybe found by anyone searching that topic on the Internet.

Yep, go google your user name & find out for yourself.

Now, one time I try to speed read is going through forum rules, but I can miss lots of stuff when I speed read. So, is it stated somewhere that this forum is linked to search engines, or is it just sort of known to those who've been here quite a while?

??

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2005, 06:15 AM   #2

While I was putting together a post for a neighboring rving forum, I googled my user name, 'Little Kopit' & I found out something about IRV2 Forum. It's linked to search engines.

So, whatever you say here maybe found by anyone searching that topic on the Internet.

Yep, go google your user name & find out for yourself.

Now, one time I try to speed read is going through forum rules, but I can miss lots of stuff when I speed read. So, is it stated somewhere that this forum is linked to search engines, or is it just sort of known to those who've been here quite a while?

??

Old 12-17-2005, 07:09 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Google looks everywhere, but then so do many other search engines. I've done a search on my regular name and login name and I find links to posts I made on RV.Net and a professional video forum as well. It's nothing that's "submitted" by any of these forums, it's just Google snooping around for links. Then again, the Internet is a public thing so if you want to keep it private, the Internet isn't the place to post it. I even found my name linked to a French language version of a Disney comic. It can be entertaining looking up all this junk.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 07:20 AM   #4

Not all forums can be accessed by search engines!!

Old 12-17-2005, 08:49 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Not all forums can be accessed by search engines!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
LITTLE KOPIT: I'm no internet expert for sure, but it is my understanding that ANY website can be explored (mined) by search engines UNLESS the website has built in some level of "encryption" such as the financial sites use to provide a "secure" connection. These secure sites are indicated by URLs which begin with "httpS", as opposed to the more typical "http" found on non-secured sites such as iRV2.com.

I want to thank you for the suggestion to go "google" myself! I had never thought of doing so, but am now glad I did. Among other things, I learned I am:
a real estate appraiser in San Antonio
a "thinker" status member over at Pearlsoup.com
a lender at All Funds Mortgage ( I WISH! )
a source at freeautoadvice.com
a thrift store marketing expert ( no, but I have shopped there )

AND the most interesting thing I learned about myself is that I am the inventor of an "alternative energy" motor (well known in such circles as the edgray motor). Unfortunately, I died in a trailer in 1993 under very mysterious circumstances, and the police reports and coronor's report have "disappeared", leading to speculation that I faked my death so I can continue my "alternative" research from my secret hiding place in the desert.

IF you want to know more about "me", just.......well you know!
Old 12-17-2005, 08:57 AM   #6

ROFL edgray, I certainly have a more 'exclusive' user name. I don't see it appearing under any by my own contributions.

Now, there are ways to google me via my real name where others appear. & when I tried to use that name via hotmail, well somebody else with that spelling is out there.

Re. access, there are software protections, because I'm on some forums that don't appear at google & have posted on some of the same topics at these places too. How, I don't know, but it just is.

Old 12-17-2005, 09:38 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A lot of forums are accessed by Google. And once on the internet,there is not much that is secure, unless you are accessing through a secure site.

SO anything you post on a public forum will likely be added by search enines.

Ken
Old 01-14-2006, 06:20 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Not all forums can be accessed by search engines!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
In fact they all can be accessed by the Google Bots, spyders, whatever they are called. These search engines follow links in the threads, they even access the private areas in administration that isn't available to members. However when they follow a link to a restricted area they capture the information along with the restriction. I Googled my username for a forum on which I moderater. Almost blew my cool at what I could access, however going to that forum and logging out stopped my access to the information. I don't know of any forum that does not welcome the bots as that's what brings the new members and visitors. The information that is gathered and stored is a very complicated mess, understood only by the computers. When a restriction is stored along with the information only authorized persons can view it.
Cheers
Willis

WilleyB is offline   Reply With Quote