Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2016, 02:49 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Did you see this in the paper?

Couldn't believe this story. Does anyone know which park it is?
TUPELO — A Mississippi RV park owner evicted an interracial couple because of the color of their skin.

“Me and my husband, not ever in 10 years have we experienced any problem,” said Erica Flores Dunahoo, who is Hispanic and Native American and whose husband, a National Guardsman, is African-American. “Nobody’s given us dirty looks. This is our first time.”

More than a half-century after the Civil Rights Act of 1964 barred discrimination on the basis of race, Gene Baker acknowledged asking the interracial couple to leave his RV park near Tupelo.

Baker, who lives in Aberdeen, said he only did it because “the neighbors were giving me such a problem.”

The NAACP is investigating.

“Racial discrimination should be a thing of the past in Mississippi, considering our long history,” said Derrick Johnson, president of the Mississippi NAACP.

With some state leaders expressing intolerance, “we can do no more than expect incidents like this to exist in the state of Mississippi,” he said.

Marriages between white and black Mississippians remained illegal in the state until 1967 when the U.S. Supreme Court tossed out laws that barred interracial marriage. A year later, the Fair Housing Act made it illegal to refuse to rent to people on the basis of their "race, color, religion, sex or national origin."

In the decades since, cultural barriers have begun to fade.

In 2011, The New York Times featured Mississippi as having one of the nation’s fastest growing multiracial populations — up 70 percent between 2000 and 2010.

Related: Mississippi nap time photo goes viral

In February, Dunahoo, 40, and her 37-year-old husband, Stanley Hoskins, who have two children, were looking to rent an RV space when she contacted Baker. “We were trying to save money to get our life on track,” she said.

On Feb. 28, she arrived at the RV park and gave Baker a $275 check for rent for the month.

“He was real nice,” she said. “He invited me to church and gave me a hug. I bragged on him to my family.”

The next day, she said, Baker telephoned her and said, “Hey, you didn’t tell me you was married to no black man.”

She said she replied that she didn’t realize it was a problem.

“Oh, it’s a big problem with the members of my church, my community and my mother-in-law,” she quoted him as saying. “They don’t allow that black and white shacking.”

“We’re not shacking. We’re married,” she replied.

“Oh, it’s the same thing,” she quoted him as replying.

She said he told her, “You don’t talk like you wouldn’t be with no black man. If you would had come across like you were with a black man, we wouldn’t have this problem right now.”

She said she replied, “My husband ain’t no thug. He’s a good man. My husband has served his country for 13 years. He’s a sergeant in the National Guard.”

Hoskins called the situation “ludicrous.”

(Story continues below photo.)

Mississippi National Guard Sgt. Stanley Hoskins hugs
Mississippi National Guard Sgt. Stanley Hoskins hugs his daughter, Isabella, goodbye before returning to Afghanistan in 2012. (Photo: Special to The Clarion-Ledger)
He and Dunahoo, who retained her last name after marriage, went to talk to Baker again.

She said she had “prayed and prayed” for Baker to change his mind.

He didn’t.

Baker returned the $275 the couple paid, and they are relocating to another RV park where the rent is higher — $325 a month.

Related: Former Ole Miss student pleads guilty to tying noose on James Meredith statue

Dunahoo said she reported the matter to the NAACP because she believes Baker should not be allowed to turn away interracial couples. “I just want it to be where everybody is treating everybody equally."

Asked if he had a problem with a mixed-race couple, Baker replied, “Oh, no.”

He said his church lets interracial couples attend.

Dunahoo said he told her they could attend their church but “we’re not allowed to be members.”

Baker explained that if neighbors have a problem, “the best thing you can do is what the neighbors want to do.”

Asked if he would rent the RV space if another interracial couple showed up, he replied, “I’m closing it down, and that solves the problem.”

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2016, 09:16 PM   #2

Got a link to that newspaper story?

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:29 PM   #3

I saw that story. There seems to be a lot of information missing. The RV park is somewhere in Mississippi, according to the news report. But, the name of the park and it's location remains unreported. For all we know, it may not be an RV park at all.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:09 PM   #4

Pretty unfortunate situation. I did some digging and couldn't identify any RV park in Tupelo that was owned by a Gene Baker. Granted, only 3 parks come up in my searches, so in very well could be a small, unlisted rv park. Searching for the individuals names shows that the article has been picked up all over the place but without any additional information added. I suppose the proprietor's claim of closing down the business could be seen as an acceptable resolution to the events.
Old 04-05-2016, 06:23 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Haven't seen it yet but I'll be watching. Doubtful that we'll ever know the park.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 06:47 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
You may find out the name of the park when the lawsuits start to fly. If this story is reported correctly it is shameful and the park owner has big troubles coming. Of course, sometimes the reported details are not accurate, so time will tell.
Old 04-05-2016, 08:57 AM   #7

Without a documenting link I have to assume it is another internet hoax.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:02 AM   #8

I did see the story, although not in that much detail, but I'll be darned if I can recall if it was in the newspaper or online. If true (and I now have my doubts) it's a horrible situation that should never have occurred.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:00 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I am wondering if was a Mobile Home (trailer park) and not an RV park? Been a lot of places and the only thing I've run into is owners who are cranky.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:06 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Without a documenting link I have to assume it is another internet hoax.
typed "gene baker mississippi" into google.

a few hits. It seems he admitted to it. The neighbors were complaning he says.

Interracial Couple Evicted From Mississippi RV Park

Mississippi RV park owner evicts interracial couple
Old 04-05-2016, 10:08 AM   #11

Sounds made up to me.
69Stang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:11 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I foresee this thread being locked down quickly...

I'm still waiting on my NBA lawsuit to come on the docket since they won't let me start for the Knicks
Old 04-05-2016, 10:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennieH View Post
I am wondering if was a Mobile Home (trailer park) and not an RV park? Been a lot of places and the only thing I've run into is owners who are cranky.
Only matters what it was in that if it is a trailer park maybe talking about it in an rv forum is not the corect place. Either way it is wrong.

Bennie i do not know if you are white or brown or black or whatever. I can assure you if you are other than white you will run into this or other forms of it.

I am white as they come, Good old boy, one of the guys..........wife not so much.......We notice the way i get treated and the way she gets treated or welcomed can be very different. From wally world check out and dooor reciept checks ( i never get checked, she does regurly) to how a host at a resturant acts to how rv park owners and neighbors treat us.

**** is real.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:19 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Stang View Post
Sounds made up to me.
except they are many reports from credible news orginizations and the guy admitted it. other than that yeh made up