Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2019, 04:30 AM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Did your kids continue the camping tradition as adults?

For those of you who camped together as a family when your children were young, I'm curious as to whether or not your kids continued to camp (via tent or RV) when they became adults.

We have a son and a daughter (now 24 and 20, respectively) and, as big fans of our National Parks, we traveled quite a bit with them since we bought our first TT 13 years ago. Although both have aged out of traveling with us due to work commitments, they do join us when we're camped at our favorite lake in the summer, even if it's only for a single day or a weekend. Our son and his girlfriend have already bought a tent and our daughter (who we don't think will be a camper on her own) loves our National Parks, is eager to visit more of them (and return to her favorites) and follows many nature photographers on social media.

I'm just curious as to how this played out in other families. Thanks, in advance, for sharing!

Mary
4ina4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2019, 05:03 AM   #2

As one of 5 children, I am the only one who followed in my parents footsteps with camping.

I have 2 children and my daughter does some camping while my son sometimes wishes he could but his wife is more of the resort type.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 05:12 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
My love for camping came from the Boy Scouts, and I have always had a MH! My son has a TT and still loves to go camping when we visit! Rail!
Old 04-28-2019, 06:14 AM   #4

We camped when we were kids, 3 of us. I'm the only one still camping and will until I'm dead. My husband also camped as a kid, and thankfully we both love it as a couple. Granted we did not do a lot of camping when we had our oldest, but his younger brother got about 15 years in worth of camping, but since the age of about 20 he has stopped, mostly because the girlfriend has never grown up camping. They do come out to our lake lot on occasion for the weekend, but neither of them have their own unit and probably never will.
Rubirose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 06:23 AM   #5
IC2

One of three daughters has though they do the tenting thing as they don't have parking for a trailer of any sort. Another daughter would but her husband is a city boy who likes his comfy things plus their kids .... The third daughter, oh well - bugs and creepy things. Son probably would but his wife ... not her thing though her parents had a decent TT
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 06:26 AM   #6

We car camped as a family when my two sons were little and then continued to kayak, backpack, and now hammock camp. The best memories I have is of us camping together. No cell phones, laptop, Ipod. Just us and nature.
AGoodLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 08:30 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have two boys, now 45 and 50, that started out camping in their grandpas truck camper. Both have since purchased a TT, one still uses his, the other had other priorities and sold his. We actually bought our first (and only) MH after they had bought their TT. Typing this as we camp.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 08:47 AM   #8

YUP - Tents and utility trailer but they are out there
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG951047.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	243833   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0365.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	249.8 KB
ID:	243834  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0376.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	337.3 KB
ID:	243835  
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 09:34 AM   #9

As a kid our family were big summer time campers. I raised my kids (2) camping in a RV. Now as adults one of the kids joins us with her boyfriend.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:44 AM   #10

Yes
Big time
All 4 children and 11 grandchildren

They all have fire pits at their homesClick image for larger version

Name:	20190421_094123.jpeg
Views:	48
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	243842Click image for larger version

Name:	20190426_084246.jpeg
Views:	55
Size:	231.7 KB
ID:	243843
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 09:46 AM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
We camped for years with our children visiting parks and historical sites. All four still camp, two are tent campers and two have their own rigs, one a Fiver and one has avTT. Tall love to hike, etc.

Nick
Tiffin Allegro Red
traveler of california is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 10:36 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Our daughter does NOT, but her job and lifestyle would make it difficult anyway. She still has fond memories of camping and sometimes joins us for a day or two if she can get away. And as long as her phone works and the stores aren't too far away...
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 10:42 AM   #13

Both of our kids started camping before they could even walk (and they are 40 and 30 years of age). Our eldest while a teen really hated going and would throw all sorts of teenage tantrums while on trips. He started borrowing our tent equipment when he was in his mid 20's and has now purchased a minnie winnie. He was married in Zion NP and spent a month in the west. I think he would go full-time if he could. Our daughter continues to enjoy camping and has taken youth groups out - which is also surprising. They are all coming for the Memorial Day Week-end camping.
Seashell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 11:13 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
My parents were avid tent campers and backpackers so my brother and I grew up camping and backpacking all over the PNW. I never lost my love of the outdoors and have spent the last 20 years working for an outdoor retailer that strongly emphasizes and supports an outdoor lifestyle.

Due to responsibilities with an extended (20+ years) elder care situation it was a lot harder for the DW and I to continue on with any regularity but we managed and our youngest daughter really took to it and had many memorable tenting and backpacking trips while she was growing up. Her and her boyfriend are both avid tenters/backpackers. Living in the southwest they have year-round opportunities and regularly take advantage.

After the elder care situation we picked up our TT so that we could continue to enjoy the outdoors. It has allowed us to travel around and see so many places we otherwise wouldn't have. At least a couple times each year we plan trips where we can get together and camp/day-hike with our youngest daughter.

Tags
camping