Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2007, 05:21 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to Garbageman
I own a garbage company and had an interesting call today. I got a call from a company (I can't remember the name but it made it sound like a truck fleet business) the gentlemen, Tom, began asking me about my fleet of trucks. I never give out very much information to strangers so I kept it very vauge. He then asked me if I wanted to get my fuel costs down. Well of course I would. He said he had a diesel fuel additive that could do just that and went into a sales pitch. I asked if he was a salesman for this product and he was. I listened for awhile on how it would help burn more of the diesel and prevent damage to the fuel delivery system caused by USLD.

Being skeptical I asked him, "if I had a major engine failure how could I prove it was mechanical and not the fault of the additive?". He said that his product was the only product approved by the government for use in older, pre 2007, engines. So, would his company help me prove mechanical failure? He hung up on me! I guess not.

The product was called Diesel Boost 3 and sell for $129.00 per gallon and would treat over 2000 gallons of fuel.

Can anybody say Snake Oil?

Has a side note I got a fuel drop today and asked the driver if he had heard of it. No. But he told me they add centane to the fuel and an anti gel during the winter months. Good enough for me.

Just wanted everyone to know the snake charmers are out there.
Paul

Garbageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2007, 05:21 PM   #2

I own a garbage company and had an interesting call today. I got a call from a company (I can't remember the name but it made it sound like a truck fleet business) the gentlemen, Tom, began asking me about my fleet of trucks. I never give out very much information to strangers so I kept it very vauge. He then asked me if I wanted to get my fuel costs down. Well of course I would. He said he had a diesel fuel additive that could do just that and went into a sales pitch. I asked if he was a salesman for this product and he was. I listened for awhile on how it would help burn more of the diesel and prevent damage to the fuel delivery system caused by USLD.

Being skeptical I asked him, "if I had a major engine failure how could I prove it was mechanical and not the fault of the additive?". He said that his product was the only product approved by the government for use in older, pre 2007, engines. So, would his company help me prove mechanical failure? He hung up on me! I guess not.

The product was called Diesel Boost 3 and sell for $129.00 per gallon and would treat over 2000 gallons of fuel.

Can anybody say Snake Oil?

Has a side note I got a fuel drop today and asked the driver if he had heard of it. No. But he told me they add centane to the fuel and an anti gel during the winter months. Good enough for me.

Just wanted everyone to know the snake charmers are out there.
Paul

Old 03-07-2007, 05:40 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
Thumbs up Paul Could it be that sales is the second oldest profession??
Since you have a fleet, what are your thoughts on Bio-diesel? One of our local distributors has just added B20 diesel. Since I'm new to this diesel game I am interested in Bio comments. Happy Trails!! from a southern Oregano!
Hoverbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 05:53 PM   #4

Greetings from the Coast hoverbug,

I've attended several meetings and forums on Bio-diesel and found several things that prevent me from switching.

1. Price. The price for bio is higher than road diesel and there is no re copement of that cost except to raise my service rates and I won't do that.

2. Quantity. There is not enough of the fuel to go around, especially on the Coast. I don't want to run bio one month and then have to switch back to road diesel. That would mean another bulk tank and possible mechanical problems.

3. Faith. I don't think enough real world fleet testing has been done to say whether or not mechanical breakdowns are/are not happening. It's just too early to tell.

Testing on open freeways or in city only driving are one thing but for me it's rural roads and lots of hills. My garbage trucks take a lot of punishment but have alway held together and served us well.

Just my thoughts

Paul
Old 03-07-2007, 06:01 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
Thanks Paul. You reinforce my thinking that it still a babe in the woods technology. The biggest issue I have is quality control. When the Army starts putting JP-5 Bio in Hueys&Black Hawks I might reconsider
Hoverbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 06:05 PM   #6

Right-on!

Paul