Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-24-2014, 08:01 AM   #1
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Diesel Class C units

I am perplexed.

Okay, quit laughing.

I have looked at a thousand Class C units, and am surprised that none of them with the Ford "E series" chasis have the Power Stroke Ford diesel power-plant.

This a quiet and efficient engine, so why don't the RV mfgs. produce some of these. All I have seen are the Mercedes diesel powered C's and B's

Any thoughts?

KoolBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2014, 09:19 AM   #2
Foretravel Owners Club
I also have looked for the diesel powered C models with little luck, why we wound up with a 5 yr old Foretravel A class, been very pleased with every part of it, just would like a little smaller. had tried the MB Sprinter View, not big enough to be comfy, need a motel stop every other night for rest. Makes the Foretravel a great choice for us.
Dave M

Foretravel, 2001, 36' ISM500 "Hot Rod"
F150 w/EZ Golf Cart or
CanAM 800 Max Limited ATV
Genset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 11:51 AM   #3
It might be that the 6.7 Scorpion diesel that Ford is now manufacturing is an $8000++ adder to the base 6.2 V8 or 6.8 V10. This would be a direct pass on to customers and in many cases put the unit out of the desired price range. Also, the cost of diesel maintenance, once the savvy buyers added that to the equation, might also help tip the sale back to a gasser. That M-B powered diesel Class B according to a couple dealers I've talked to say it isn't selling as well as they had hoped, with most them starting at over $100K (135K for one I liked) and in the ballpark of lower end 'A's and mid to upper end 'C's.
Dave W along with my DW, Susan and our poodlepups, Callie & Molly,2011 Ford F250 6.7 CCLB, 5er Hitch Option w/B&W Hitch,,Ride Rite air bags, 2014 Montana High Country 343RL (38')
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 12:25 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The full-sized E Series will be phased-out by the end of 2016 model year by all reports. That means no bodies for the E-Series Cab-Chassis used in Class C's.
Why invest in a lame-duck foundation when the clock is ticking to the end?

What will continue to be available is the E350/450 stripped chassis (gas only at this time) being used under the Axis/Vegas "mini" Class A and the F550 (with 6.7L Diesel) being used in the FourWinds, Chateau, and Outlaw Super C.
Click image for larger version

Name:	112038804_3.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	165.3 KB
ID:	77305

Name:	attachment.jpg
Views:	1187
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	77306

What will be new is the Dodge (err, sorry RAM) Promaster and Ford Transit (Eurovan style) Cab Chassis...now in the US. These vans have TurboDiesel options in Europe and will probably be in the US in the next few years - direct competition for the Sprinter.

Name:	Dodge Promaster.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	77302

Name:	2014-ford-transit-chassis-cab.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	77304

Name:	Winnebago-Trend.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	77303

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), '07 Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 03:04 PM   #5
You might find some older E series motor homes with diesel engines, but the newer ones, not so much. I believe the old 7.3L was a good engine but that was done in by changes in emission standards. The 6.0 L replaced the 7.3L and had a lot of issues. One issue in the E series was inadequate air flow, which wasn't really a problem in the F series. That was also done in by emission standards. It's my understanding that the 6.4L which replaced the 6.0L doesn't physically fit in the E series.
All of the above is what I've read/heard over the years, so that information might not be worth any more than what you paid for it.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K
Mich F is online now   Reply With Quote

class c, diesel