Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2011, 09:56 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Rusty's explanation is right on (whether we like it or not). Commerical truck fuel costs get silently passed on to the retail customer (you and me), so higher fuel taxes and fuel costs are not a political issue like unleaded gas is.

Another factor is that America's refineries are biased towards unleaded gas production rather than diesel. You can't just flip a switch and produce diesel in a refinery set up for gasoline. If more American cars used diesel instead of gas, you would see refineries being changed over to diesel production and prices would probably fall a somewhat as consumer demand and production volume went up.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2011, 10:29 AM   #16

Gary, greater use of diesel in the US would probably not help as the US Exported an average of 895000 barrels of refined fuel per day in August.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:42 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
dBeck is right on, Trucking companies get a fuel surcharge. The higher fuel goes the higher the surcharge, and the surcharge is passed onto the shipper who passes it on and it gets passed on again you get the drift, We all pay more on everything in the end as it trickles down to us.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:04 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvjimmy View Post
dBeck is right on, Trucking companies get a fuel surcharge. The higher fuel goes the higher the surcharge, and the surcharge is passed onto the shipper who passes it on and it gets passed on again you get the drift, We all pay more on everything in the end as it trickles down to us.
I don't understand. How do trucking companies pay a fuel surcharge? Is it at the pump or at company headquarters? If i fill my MH at the truck lanes, do i pay a fuel surcharge but not at the car or RV lanes?

Jim E
Pairajays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:16 PM   #19

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairajays View Post
In Oregon OTR trucks pay less per gallon than other users. The state gets their money another way, a PUC. In Arizona, private vehicles, ie, cars, small trucks and RVs pay less for Diesel than OTR trucks. There are probably other states that are different I just don't know of any.

Jim E
In OR they pay less at the pumps, then they file their mileage/fuel form or buy a trip ticket through IFTA so they probably end up paying more than the general public.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:19 AM   #20

Quote:
I don't understand. How do trucking companies pay a fuel surcharge? Is it at the pump or at company headquarters? If i fill my MH at the truck lanes, do i pay a fuel surcharge but not at the car or RV lanes?
The shippers pay. The higher fuel costs go the higher a percentage of the load they must pay. It is adjusted periodically. Thats how it works in my situation as an independent contractor. ( truck driver)
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:20 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
The shippers pay. The higher fuel costs go the higher a percentage of the load they must pay. It is adjusted periodically. Thats how it works in my situation as an independent contractor. ( truck driver)
I'm sorry, but I don't understand your answer. I'm not interested in the shippers cost, just mine. When I fill up from the truck lanes, do I pay an OTR truck surcharge or not. As I remember, the diesel price is the same at truck lanes or auto/ RV lanes in most states. Oregon and Arizona are two exceptions I know of.

Jim E
Old 11-29-2011, 10:37 AM   #22

Quote:
I'm sorry, but I don't understand your answer. I'm not interested in the shippers cost, just mine. When I fill up from the truck lanes, do I pay an OTR truck surcharge or not. As I remember, the diesel price is the same at truck lanes or auto/ RV lanes in most states. Oregon and Arizona are two exceptions I know of.

Jim E
To put it simpler. You do not pay a fuel surcharge at any pump truck car or Rv pump. You do not pay a fuel surcharge period. If your question is "do you pay more then what the pump reads" the answer is also no. What you see is what you pay.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:05 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Gas in Grapevine, TX (DFW) is 2.97, Diesel is 3.69
mikelm48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:15 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
To put it simpler. You do not pay a fuel surcharge at any pump truck car or Rv pump. You do not pay a fuel surcharge period. If your question is "do you pay more then what the pump reads" the answer is also no. What you see is what you pay.
OK, that's my point. From another poster, "Trucking companies get a fuel surcharge." My question basically was, where does that surcharge manifest it self?

Jim E
Old 11-29-2011, 04:06 PM   #25

Quote:
OK, that's my point. From another poster, "Trucking companies get a fuel surcharge." My question basically was, where does that surcharge manifest it self?

Jim E
From the shipper. They pay the trucking company money to offset the rising cost of fuel. This is called a fuel surcharge.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:56 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
There is little difference between #2 heating oil used by most residences in the north and northeast part of the country and the diesel fuel used in our vehicles. The biggest difference is in the color and the taxes paid on the diesel fuel. It's simply supply and demand where the diesel fuel supply is being diverted to supply heat oil for the winter. Diesel prices should return to normal, or near normal, in the spring.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:07 PM   #27

$3.09 reg gas..... $3.99 diesel.... .90 cents difference? That's just not right. No wonder the price of everything is going up. Almost Everything is delivered by diesel truck...
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:40 PM   #28

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
We used to ship our Ebay items thru FedEx. But over the last few years their "Fuel Surcharge" is a extra fee added onto the package shipping charge. We no longer ship FedEx. On a $10 package from Ohio to say Texas, it would be a extra $1.16 in fuel surcharges. So really they wouldn't care if diesel went to $10 a gallon. They got it covered....

Here in Northern Ohio while gas went from the high $3 range to $3.06 last week, diesel stayed at $3.85 to $3.99.

Try gasbuddy.com and use their "gas map" It is a color coded map you can zoom in on to see gas prices across the whole us. I find it very accurate.

Government conspiracy: I have a theory....If you notice that the price of crude has gone up to the high 90's / low 100's over the last month or so. That should have translated into $3.75 to $3.90 gas. The government knew if that happened at the start of the X-mas shopping season, we the consumers would cutback on our shopping. They / the government knows in order to get the economy rolling again, they need a stronger Christmas season than last year. If the consumer felt he needed to divert income to fill the tank, what choice would he have back but to chop his Christmas shopping back....At least here in Northern Ohio, Gas went up 25 cents Monday, even though oil went down ???? makes ya think...
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel