Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2017, 05:14 AM   #1

Diesel Fuel Treatments???

I have read numerous threads about this subject since I ordered my new diesel Newmar. I know less now than what I did back then. The options were endless. I will pick up my new coach in a week and I have a few questions. When I get it back home sometime in June it will not be used again until the middle of September.

1) Will I need to fill it up before parking it for this time span? It is parked right beside our house.

2) Will I need to put any type of treatment in the fuel?
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2017, 06:32 AM   #2

I would fill it up.
I would not use a diesel fuel treatment.

Have fun with the new coach. I am envious of you!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 10:50 AM   #3

Dont thjjnk a couple of months is a problem, however in a humid climate algea may form when sitting for exstrnded periods in Diesel. That will cause expensive pronlem. When in doubt use it
gerdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 12:36 PM   #4

First fill up your motor home tank with #2 diesel if it is available in your area. Some states are now mandating 20% BIO-Diesel which sometimes you need to use since there is nothing else available. If this is the case than you can use Power Service Diesel treatment, Cummins has now endorse Power Service.

See the attached link: Power Service

You can review what product is best for your needs from Power Service home page.

I use a Power Service winter treatment in my fuel tank from mid-November until mid April.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:25 PM   #5

Sophie, not sure about how far you have to travel to get your new ride home, but if several states, you may want to check fuel prices and fill that bad boy up in the cheapest state and then top it off as close as reasonable to home, and also be aware of who does and doesn't have D2 and not bio. I don't think you should have any problem with just a couple of months, but since the introduction of LSD to the fuel supply algae growth has actually became more of an issue that moisture in a properly maintained stagnant fuel tank. I created a couple of work arounds for our extremely too large generator I used to maintain, but with yours if you want a little piece of mind, you may want to consider the Power Service.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:41 PM   #6

If in winter (quite cold), you "may" want to use a treatment. BUT, for most folks that is a non issue. A bigger issue might be that, with the new ultra low sulfur diesel fuel, the fuel has lost much of it's lubricity. Many believe this may hurt the longevity of injectors and fuel pumps. On one of the diesel forums ( where many are running competition, "hopped-up" diesels), a test was performed on many of the top treatments. Their findings were that conventional 2 stroke oil ( for 2 cycle boat motors, motorcycles, lawn equip. ect.), came in second place in improving fuel lubricity. I add a pint to approx 20 to 25 gallons per fill on my Dodge Cummins. It may not help.....But won't hurt, and makes me feel better. I buy in gallons at Wal-Mart (cheaper than buying by the pint or quart), and refill my empty pint bottles (yes I'm cheap). Not knowing your tank refill normal volumes, the quart may work well for you. Again, whether it helps or not.... I feel that it's a cheap "feel good" thing! memtb
memtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 12:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by memtb View Post
If in winter (quite cold), Many believe this may hurt the longevity of injectors and fuel pumps. On one of the diesel forums ( where many are running competition, "hopped-up" diesels), a test was performed on many of the top treatments. Their findings were that conventional 2 stroke oil ( for 2 cycle boat motors, motorcycles, lawn equip. ect.), came in second place in improving fuel lubricity. memtb
Congrats on the new coach!
My $.02 even though you're not asking, I also lurk in some of those diesel forums too for tech tips etc. But I'd have to take exception with the addition of any additives in the case of the OP.
Point one most of those "bombers" (moder's of oil burners) seem to be pretty extreme and surely are not worried about new engine warranties. They've all without exception have done deletes of all emission controlling equipment. Granted lubrication of pumps & injectors was an issue in earlier models that has been diminishing with each new generation of motors.
So if you are concerned about these items especially your DPF equip., increasing regeneration frequency or the catalyst outright failure etc. You might reserve those mystery's for a later date. Especially until you establish a baseline for whar you'll consider normal behavior of your new drive-train.
I've seen the Power Service Diesel treatment, endorsement by Cummins. That's the only product I've run in the Duramax at 1:400. primarily for the cetane+ while towing in B-20 regions.
For the amount of time you're sitting idle in a non-marine application you'll be fine. A full tank helps avoid condensation in cooler climates as the moisture laden air is displaced by fuel.

May the sun be in your face and the wind at your back.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 05:36 AM   #8

I am in South Alabama, so the winters are not that bad.

There are several small stations close by that have decent diesel prices. I had figured I would use them whenever I can. How would I know if their diesel is bio or #2? I see nothing on their signs.
Old 06-06-2017, 06:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
First fill up your motor home tank with #2 diesel if it is available in your area. Some states are now mandating 20% BIO-Diesel which sometimes you need to use since there is nothing else available. If this is the case than you can use Power Service Diesel treatment, Cummins has now endorse Power Service.

See the attached link: Power Service

You can review what product is best for your needs from Power Service home page.

I use a Power Service winter treatment in my fuel tank from mid-November until mid April.
I've been using Sta-bil diesel in my 3500 Duramax without issues but want to switch to Power Source. Is there any problem adding Power Source now or should I run an untreated tank through first to burn through the Sta-bil that's still in the tank???

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 06:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wundertaker View Post
I've been using Sta-bil diesel in my 3500 Duramax without issues but want to switch to Power Source. Is there any problem adding Power Source now or should I run an untreated tank through first to burn through the Sta-bil that's still in the tank???
OOOPS....Power Service!!! DUH....

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 07:09 AM   #11
IC2

Bio vs 'regular' diesel fuel - every station I've fueled up at anywhere in the US has had a sign on the pump that says something like "contains up to XX% of biofuel" (Or what I call biocrap since my TV loses 2-3 mpg with the highest percentage, normally in the mid West, which is 15-20%)

I too am a lover of Power Service additives, both their white winter and silver summer jugs. The best thing with this is that every truck stop, Walmart, AutoZone, etc. carries it. Opti-Lube has been tested by several 'authorities', whoever they are, to be better but I have never seen a single display in the US.

As far as leaving your new MH - a full tank is best. You could consider running it to operating temperature every couple weeks, and a few road miles too, if possible. As far as just letting it sit, way back in the last century, I was in an army engineer battalion (maintenance engineer)and some of our diesel equipment sat for many months, usually starting easily when needed.

The price of diesel, just for giggles, I found last weekend in Penna. varied from a low of $2.75/gallon at Sheetz to $3.40 at Pilot while NJ was $2.49 and home in NY, 2.53 per gallon - love taxes!!
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 07:56 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post
Sophie, not sure about how far you have to travel to get your new ride home, but if several states, you may want to check fuel prices and fill that bad boy up in the cheapest state and then top it off as close as reasonable to home, and also be aware of who does and doesn't have D2 and not bio. I don't think you should have any problem with just a couple of months, but since the introduction of LSD to the fuel supply algae growth has actually became more of an issue that moisture in a properly maintained stagnant fuel tank. I created a couple of work arounds for our extremely too large generator I used to maintain, but with yours if you want a little piece of mind, you may want to consider the Power Service.
First off LSD which is low sulfur diesel fuel has been around since the early 1990's. When the EPA started to regulate diesel fuel this is the best fuel to use in older model diesel engines since it has 500PPM of sulfur in it.

Starting around 2005 for on highway diesel fuel the EPA mandated that staring in 2006 for Calf ULSF15PPM sulfur must be available and sold. With the rest of the country having ULSF available by Jan 1 2010.

The problem is that ULSF diesel will allow for Microbes and other contaminates to grow in the fuel tank due to the lack of sulfur in the fuel. The higher sulfur contents in the LSD fuel 500PPM will kill these microbes where as the ULSF does not have the sulfur content since it is 15PPM.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:57 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wundertaker View Post
No, I think you can start using Power Service on your next fill-up of Diesel fuel. You should be OK.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:19 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
Bio vs 'regular' diesel fuel - every station I've fueled up at anywhere in the US has had a sign on the pump that says something like "contains up to XX% of biofuel" (Or what I call biocrap since my TV loses 2-3 mpg with the highest percentage, normally in the mid West, which is 15-20%)

I too am a lover of Power Service additives, both their white winter and silver summer jugs. The best thing with this is that every truck stop, Walmart, AutoZone, etc. carries it. Opti-Lube has been tested by several 'authorities', whoever they are, to be better but I have never seen a single display in the US.

As far as leaving your new MH - a full tank is best. You could consider running it to operating temperature every couple weeks, and a few road miles too, if possible. As far as just letting it sit, way back in the last century, I was in an army engineer battalion (maintenance engineer)and some of our diesel equipment sat for many months, usually starting easily when needed.

The price of diesel, just for giggles, I found last weekend in Penna. varied from a low of $2.75/gallon at Sheetz to $3.40 at Pilot while NJ was $2.49 and home in NY, 2.53 per gallon - love taxes!!
I have several stations that have prices from $2.18 up to $2.39 within 10 miles of me. I will have to look at the pumps to see if they are bio or #2.

Tags
diesel, fuel