Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2008, 11:45 AM   #1
DFR

Evergreen Owners Club
Diesel fuel hit the $4 per gallon price locally today. I have to believe it's going to put a crimp in a lot of travel this year.

340 RK
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2008, 11:45 AM   #2
DFR

Evergreen Owners Club
Diesel fuel hit the $4 per gallon price locally today. I have to believe it's going to put a crimp in a lot of travel this year.

340 RK
Old 03-07-2008, 11:52 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
We'll probably hit the $4.00 mark by the beginning of next week.

I brought our new rig home less than 2 weeks ago and diesel was 3.73. Same station now is 3.95. How can fuel increase 22 cents in 12 days
Old 03-07-2008, 12:33 PM   #4

What really frost my cookies is that OPEC announces an increase and the very next tanker delivery to your local station reflects that increase! At that point none of the OPEC suppliers have probably not pumped 1 gallon into the next tanker ship heading to the U.S.. This to me is price gouging Exxon-Mobile and others at its worst and they can not even be shamed when they magically hit record profits.

For the life of me I can not fathom why this is not called price fixing. You want to see prices drop like a rock-let the funny farm on the Potomac issue a decree that all oil profits in excess of some per cent say 6 for the sake of arguement, will be taxed at 100%.

What the public has not yet realized is that the ever increasing fuel prices is exactly what is causing corresponding increases in virtually everthing we consume.

As RVers we are worried about how fuel increases will affect our beloved travelling. I wonder how the independent trucker feels when they have contracted X price to haul Y commodity from your city to my city only to find out that an hour later the "price of diesel hit $4 per gallon today locally".

Many truckers are now quoting prices subject to a fuel surcharge "to be determined on the date of product delivery".

Now, would you like to speculate on why our economy seems to be a "little" shaky and no one seems to be able to get a grasp on it. Frankly, I don't believe there will be any settling down of the economy until there is a definitive settling down of oil prices, like stay stable for at least 3 days!!!

OK, I'll climb down from my soap box and go put on my flame retardant suit, Ken,'04 DSDSP..
Old 03-07-2008, 12:40 PM   #5
doc

Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I brought our new rig home less than 2 weeks ago </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I understand completely. We just ordered our new rig wednesday, March 5. Gonna at least drive it long enough to burn one tank. Probably have to sell a couple of grandkids in order to fill it again.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:02 PM   #6
DFR

Evergreen Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> You want to see prices drop like a rock-let the funny farm on the Potomac issue a decree that all oil profits in excess of some per cent say 6 for the sake of arguement, will be taxed at 100%.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The only problem I see with this is, once the funny farm starts taxing profits at 100%, they will never let go of it and what resource would be the next one looked at to be taxed.

340 RK
Old 03-07-2008, 03:02 PM   #7

Dan, I would not disagree with what you said one iota. My point was that currently the top execs. of the major oil companies think they can do what they d--- well want with no consequences in sight. Somehow they have got to get the point that their pricing practices are not acceptable to our way of life, and by "our" I mean all Americans not just we RVers.

Maybe the $4 per gallon threshold will bring us a little closer to thinking about another Boston Tea party. This time a single company, i.e. Exxon-Mobile could be singled out where the driving public in fact says until you (E-M)appreciably lower your prices why don't you keep your inventory in your own tanks instaed of mine. I fully agree that national or even regional boycotts generally do not work; but, can you imagine what the discussions at (E-M) would be if they had not pumped 1 gallon in the last 3 or 5 days. I'll bet it would not be ,"well gee let's stick it to 'em again with another price increase".

My own choice would be Citgo as that guy in Venezuela is anti-American anyhow so why not close our wallets and see how much he mouths off against us which is his present modus operandi. Such an action would be closely watched by other major oil gurus.

I do feel better now, Ken....
Old 03-07-2008, 03:34 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes it crumbles everyones coolies to see fuel so high...but we are no where near European prices for fuel. What we Americans need to realize is that we could all drive smaller cars and SUV for daily use. You do not need a 5.3, 5.7 or 6.0L engine to drive back and forth to work or shuffle the kids to school and get maybe 11 or 12 MPG.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
Old 03-07-2008, 03:48 PM   #9

Goldman Sachs, a widely watched oil price prognosticator, said oil could average $110 a barrel by 2010, up from a previous forecast of $80, and said a price spike as high as $200 a barrel is possible, according to Dow Jones Newswires.

Just Wait!!! Jack up the rig and put it on jacks.

Workhorse W-24
Old 03-07-2008, 06:02 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
what's going to happen when the big truck's shut down? then the funny farm will not think is's so funny anymore.then they might think it time to wake up and do something for the american's and not every other country in the world
Old 03-07-2008, 07:00 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
What we need to do is drill for oil in our own country, and build a few more refineries.

Another problem is that our refineries produce more gasoline than diesel, about 49% gas to 32% heating oil and diesel. We are geared more for gasoline production, so as diesel use rises our prices go up. In Europe, they produce 40% heating oil and diesel, and only about 27% gasoline.

Colder weather this year puts more pressure on middle distillates and a need for more heating oil.

I am not taking sides here, but just like you trying to understand why diesel is going up in price.

Supply and demand I guess, but I haven't been turined away from a fuel pump yet with a sign "No Diesel".

I'm keeping my tank full.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:08 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I second Tom. We have oil, we should be drilling for it. We also seriously need to build more refineries. Until we do that we are going to be at the mercy of overseas interests.
Old 03-08-2008, 04:05 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
First we must change the Funny-farm mangement. Well folks we can do that this year, but we must get one of the groups to endose a platform that they will address the oil promblem. Go out and talk to the people who are running to be part of the funny-farm mangement they all want your support.
As far as new oil supply and refineries that will take 4-8 years maybe longer. Remember the tree huggers will want to protect us and our future grandkids which really is a good thing.
Anyone know how long it took the Alaska pipeline to be build.
Short term answer SLOW DOWN and see how much your MPG goes up. We need to go back to 55 MPH as a country and will we save fuel.
What gets me is ULS diesel for trucks, but it's OK to heat your house with the old type of diesel. I guess homes don't polute the air.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
Old 03-08-2008, 04:40 AM   #14

For some reason everybody thinks the operators of gas stations have lots of money, well beleive me most don't. I ran a gas station for almost 30 years and I certainly didn't and none of the people I knew in the same business didn't. I had to pay for the fuel up front, so if I didn't raise my price when I heard it was going up I wouldn't have the money to buy the next load. At one time when I was selling Sunoco back in the early 60's I was on a plan where they brought the gas, I then sold it before I paid for it. But then the oil companys got smart and then they made us pay for the gas up front. Now you take a load of 8000 gal at todays prices and you have to have a bunch of money.
I paid about $2000.00 for a load but today I bet it is more like $24,000 a load.
The only ones getting rich is the oil companies.