Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-20-2014, 11:03 PM   #1
Diesel or gas

Newbie question. Probably been asked a million times. Does the higher cost of a diesel class A and fuel outweigh a gas class A with the basically same features?
Thanks up front.

Parduelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2014, 11:12 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is a active thread asking the same thing that may interest you and here is a company that builds both..

Enjoy the forums.

98KSCA, 99MACA, 03 KSCA-3740- 8.1 Chev-- ALLISON Trans, now in good hands
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:13 PM   #3
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I see this is your first post. Welcome to the forum.

In answer to your question the answer is, of course, no. Our gas rig has taken us around the country several times just fine.

I believe there will be a few others coming on here shortly to dispute my findings.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD, W22, 8.1, 7.1 MPG
2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:36 AM   #4
Welcome. Suggest you do a forum search re your question.....there have been many posts and discussions on this topic. There is much more to consider than just powerplant and cost. Such things like ride quality, engine noise front versus rear, etc. I could go on....but a forum search should prove helpful. Just MO....
2003 Fleetwood Revolution DP
HeapBigEngin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 03:57 AM   #5
GENERALLY more weight carrying capacity
GENERALLY more storage capacity
GENERALLY more towing capacity
GENERALLY higher MPG when considering the increased carrying/towing capacity
GENERALLY much more comfortable to drive by not fighting crosswinds, general road wind, less back and forth rocking (boat wobble) and overall much smoother ride quality. Pass a semi with a 34-36' class A gas and do the same with a 38-42' diesel and you'll understand. Many that dispute this most likely have never driven a Diesel coach. Read thru the forums and you'll see many discussions about adding all kinds of ride and steering control devices on the gas A's (which are not cheap)... there is a reason :-)

I use "GENERALLY" because there are exceptions!

Do NOT be fooled by claims of "higher maintenance costs". In the end it's a "wash" between gas/diesel for maintenance costs for various reasons.

Both have their pro's and cons. Drive both and you decide what works best for you.

Welcome to the forums, happy hunting!
94-Newmar Kountry Star 40-KSDP
Spartan/Cummins 8.3C-300HP/Allison 3060 WTEC-II/25yr RV Tech RVIA Certified/Onan-Cummins Certified
94-Newmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:06 AM   #6
Don't own a Typical Motorhome, but did drive a few looking for my full time rig.

Gas motor is between you and your passenger and under the front of your motorhome.

Diesel is usually at the back of the Motorhome. In the few I drove you could not hear the motor running.

Most gas motors will rev between 2000 and 3000 rpm cruising.

Diesel will be under 2500.

Both fuels have their specific odors. the diesel will hang around much longer though.

lappir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:37 AM   #7
I have read a lot of threads on the topic and I believe the some of the argument is bigger is always better and the more you spend the more you will love it.....

I also believe if you are a traveler and running from reservation to reservation and like to stay neck and neck with the truckers you will want a Diesel.

But if your taking the two lane life and enjoying every day at a time, a nice used Gas job will suet you just fine.
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:44 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As already noted, either gas or diesel will take you where you want to go. We've had both. I believe its more about your personal preferences in how you want to travel. Read all that you can about the subject. First, figure out what size coach and what floor plan best meets your wants and needs. Then, drive both gas and diesel rigs.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:12 AM   #9
JMHO here, the biggest and only advantage to owning a Diesel Pusher is the ride in itself, it boils down to Truck verses Bus.
Doug & Darlene Morgan RVM96 & Abby Gabby(pooch)
04 Dolphin 6375 LX W-24 Chassis #434136
"The Journey is our Destination"Hickory,NC
Dmorgan6375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:15 AM   #10
Gas vs. Diesel? Oh boy, get ready for a lively debate. Your entertainment will be reading the comments of those who want to convince you that their choice, gas or diesel, should be your choice. I don't think there are very many, if any, MH's with gas or diesel chassis for the same length coach. The Diesel pusher is basically a different product than a front-engined gas product, so it's just not an apples-to-apples comparison. When people brag about upgrading, they are really buying a different product. Albeit, one with features and size that are not available in a typical gas engined motorhome. While some gas products have very up scale features and build quality, this category is also where entry level motorhomes reside, and they won't have the "goodies" of a diesel coach or a higher quality gas motorhome.

Regardless, of what type of RV you buy, wonderful adventures (and misadventures) await you so have a great time...

Originally Posted by Parduelay View Post
Newbie question. Probably been asked a million times. Does the higher cost of a diesel class A and fuel outweigh a gas class A with the basically same features?
Thanks up front.
George Schweikle Lexington, KY
1999 Safari TREK 2830, FMCA 190830, Safari International chapter
1995 Safari TREK 2630, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:29 AM   #11

We chose a diesel over a gas because it suited our needs better. We pull our race car in an enclosed trailer and the diesel does a better job of that. Not so much because of the power but because of the chassis. It seemed most gas RV's have a towing limitation of 7500lbs or less and we needed 10,000lbs. The ride quality and less engine noise, as others have stated, were bonuses for us. Bottom line... where and how your going to use the motor home should be largely considered. In a lot of instances a gasser will do just fine.
Ron & Lara
03 H/R Endeavor 34PBD -330 ISC
Gearhead383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:44 AM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We love our DP!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:52 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum.

After having been around this discussion block a few times, I'm of the opinion that the absolute best reason to buy a DP is because you WANT one.

I don't believe that running the financial numbers will ever get you to that conclusion because gassers and DPs will both get you wherever you want to go... it's just a matter of how much one is willing to pay for the benefits that a DP brings.

If you full time and plan to spend a lot of time out west in the mountains, it might tilt you toward a DP a bit but it really comes down to what you want.

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:06 AM   #14
If you are just using the m/h for "camping", only put on a few thousand miles a year, then the extra cost of a diesel may not be practical. If you put on many miles a year, then the extra cost becomes practical. How you use the m/h will help you decide.

Tom3205 is offline   Reply With Quote

diesel, gas