Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2016, 10:00 AM   #15

We replaced the ridiculously small fuel tank in our diesel dually with an after market replacement tank with more than double the capacity. Then we can disconnect after each travel day and go get fuel at the station of our choice. Indiana has very high diesel taxes and don't let those signs for truck stops suck you in. That is the price for exempt vehicles and regular diesel is about 30 cents more a gallon. Most truck stop signs say exempt trucks only but not all do and if you do not know what that means, you could get lured in by the low advertised price. We stopped at a Love's in Indiana and we would not fit at the auto pumps and the clerk refused to sell us diesel at the truck pumps because we were not an exempt vehicle.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2016, 10:15 AM   #16
doc

Appalachian Campers
taxes, taxes, taxes State and Federal taxes are the main factor in prices. Throw in the cost of taking out sulfur and the subsidies for ethanol that is subsidized by more taxes then you have a better picture. Wanna get upset for a ripoff? Take a look at the bean and corn farmers who got that ethanol law passed.
Research and development leaves little profit on a gallon of fuel or gas

Old 04-30-2016, 10:34 AM   #17

Yep, blame can be laid at the feet of tree huggers, Al Gore and the like by promoting the global warming hoax.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:53 AM   #18

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
taxes, taxes, taxes State and Federal taxes are the main factor in prices. Throw in the cost of taking out sulfur and the subsidies for ethanol that is subsidized by more taxes then you have a better picture. Wanna get upset for a ripoff? Take a look at the bean and corn farmers who got that ethanol law passed.
Research and development leaves little profit on a gallon of fuel or gas
Got that right. Ethanol, windmills and solar-all heavily subsidized-ultimately paid by us.

2015 F-150 King Ranch LB 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost Toad, Texas Boomers RV Club
FMCA F292298, NRA Benefactor Life Member
dlovitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 11:30 AM   #19
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Just doing some quick math. If diesel is 30 cents more per gallon at the truck stop that adds about 4.5 cents per mile to my costs (assuming 7 miles per gallon). We've averaged 6,000 miles per year on the coach and if distributed evenly over 12 months (which of course it never is - even) that averages about $22 per month. In my experience there is rarely that big of a difference between local diesel retailers but I have seen it.

For $22 per month, likely much less, I'll keep to the easy in, easy out, conveniently located and easy to find truck stops. I say this with the full realization that some have more time than money and don't blame, discourage or denigrate any looking to pinch every penny. For most of us, if you do the math its just not something that should be on your "something to worry about" radar.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 12:05 PM   #20

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post

For $22 per month, likely much less, I'll keep to the easy in, easy out, conveniently located and easy to find truck stops. I say this with the full realization that some have more time than money and don't blame, discourage or denigrate any looking to pinch every penny. For most of us, if you do the math its just not something that should be on your "something to worry about" radar.

Well said. I've been expressing the same sentiments for the 5+ years we've been full-timing.

Lately, rather than worry about a few pennies per gallon what I have been doing lately is spending time researching "convenience". I've been using the Trucker Path app on my Android phone along with Google satellite and street views to find refueling stops along my path that have truck pumps but which are not part of the major truck stop chains.

I like truck stops for their easy-in/easy-out convenience, but I dislike the lines and delays if you choose to refuel at popular times of the day such as early morning or around lunch-time. What I've found to be far better are independent truck stops or even just gas stations with truck pumps in the back. Usually there are no lines at such places and you can be in and out in just a few minutes even with a ~60 gallon fill-up. As long as the station looks like it is reasonably busy I don't worry all that much about fuel quality.

Usually, what I'll do is use Trucker Path to locate stations on my route roughly at a point where I expect to want to refuel. From the list I select the ones that aren't major truck stops. Then, with the help of Google satellite view I verify that the station has truck pumps and that they appear to be easy to access. Google Maps, by itself, will identify truck stops, but I have found it to be less reliable than using a good app such as Trucker Path or DAT Trucker Info.

Although this process sounds complicated, it really only takes a few minutes the night before a trip. I try to refuel when the gauge is between 1/4 and 1/2 and I can easily calculate how many miles of travel that relates to. So it's easy to target the area where I want to search for refueling stops.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 12:07 PM   #21

Quote:
Just doing some quick math. If diesel is 30 cents more per gallon at the truck stop that adds about 4.5 cents per mile to my costs (assuming 7 miles per gallon). We've averaged 6,000 miles per year on the coach and if distributed evenly over 12 months (which of course it never is - even) that averages about $22 per month. In my experience there is rarely that big of a difference between local diesel retailers but I have seen it.

VERY GOOD POINT!
I learned this lesson the hard way by pulling into a station that had lower priced fuel. Got jammed in and rubbed two basement doors for $1000. Cheap Fuel? I don't think so.
Old 05-01-2016, 06:55 AM   #22

Quote:

Agree 100%. I have felt like that for years.
Old 05-01-2016, 06:57 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogie_ View Post
Yep, blame can be laid at the feet of tree huggers, Al Gore and the like by promoting the global warming hoax.
yep, that's it. that is the only reason oil and gas taxes are high.

Tags
diesel