Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2016, 07:55 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Love our 32' dynasty 1995 .. Just right for us ..

Safe-T-Plus
Pa Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2016, 09:41 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
I really have no perspective on gas motor homes (had plenty of gas trucks, though and towed campers...). Found a 10 YO diesel pusher with maintenance records at a reasonable price. Had thorough inspections by Caterpillar and Freightliner and now expect 15-20 more years of reliable service.

We do have an emergency fund (separate from retirement) that could cover most repairs.

montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 12:15 PM   #17

Lots of bogus observations here on gas units based on old info and models. I cant speak for other brands but I can tell that newmar and the new v-10 ahead of the new 6 spd is an excellent combination. I have yet to see the motor rev past 3500 and I have a 40'. The engine is quiet enough, gets 8pmg on regular, and is economical to run and maintain. I will say they are more reliable on the road as well just search forums for mechanical issues and it usually a dp of some sort.
Gasser= No failing air susp, air brakes, injector pumps, turbos, gaskets, overheating etc.....
Will a gasser run 300k, probably not. Maybe 150k maybe 200k before rebuild but a new short block crate motor is about what an injector pump will run you on a diesel, not to mention all the other expenses you'll enjoy to get to 300k.

A gasser wont tow as much. nope. If you need to tow over 5k, get a diesel.

Imo the improved ride and negligible less engine noise of a dp is no where near worth the increased cost both at purchase point, or while underway.

Comes down to how you value money I suppose.

Once parked they are all the same.
Old 06-28-2016, 12:21 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodLincon View Post
Lots of bogus observations here on gas units based on old info and models. I cant speak for other brands but I can tell that newmar and the new v-10 ahead of the new 6 spd is an excellent combination. I have yet to see the motor rev past 3500 and I have a 40'. The engine is quiet enough, gets 8pmg on regular, and is economical to run and maintain. I will say they are more reliable on the road as well just search forums for mechanical issues and it usually a dp of some sort.
Gasser= No failing air susp, air brakes, injector pumps, turbos, gaskets, overheating etc.....
Will a gasser run 300k, probably not. Maybe 150k maybe 200k before rebuild but a new short block crate motor is about what an injector pump will run you on a diesel, not to mention all the other expenses you'll enjoy to get to 300k.

A gasser wont tow as much. nope. If you need to tow over 5k, get a diesel.

Imo the improved ride and negligible less engine noise of a dp is no where near worth the increased cost both at purchase point, or while underway.

Comes down to how you value money I suppose.

Once parked they are all the same.
I agree with you on many of your thoughts except the 8mpg and that fact you never run it over 3500RPM. These engines are designed to put out max horse power around 4300 to 4500 and they will run all day long doing it. Perhaps that is how you achieve the mileage you do but I can't go that slow. On level ground cruising at 2200 RPM is no problem but the earth isn't always flat.
Old 06-28-2016, 02:24 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
I agree with you on many of your thoughts except the 8mpg and that fact you never run it over 3500RPM. These engines are designed to put out max horse power around 4300 to 4500 and they will run all day long doing it. Perhaps that is how you achieve the mileage you do but I can't go that slow. On level ground cruising at 2200 RPM is no problem but the earth isn't always flat.
I only cruise 60~65 tops, I'm in no hurry and don't like passing so I may even drive 55 if there is moderate traffic. Yes, 8 is what I get. Sometimes a tad over, sometimes a tad under.

3500 rpms is all I ever needed to climb any hill around here in the northeast (not flat land) on a major highway. That's 4th gear. 3500r's. And that's only on occasion. Usually 5th keeps it going on good enough on less moderate and more typical slopes. This is all cruise control by the way. I'm not towing either. Just a bike rack full of cycles.

Yes 2200 r's most of the time. Motor just purrs. The coach tracks straight, and is a joy to drive. I have zero complaints about the ride either.
Old 07-01-2016, 12:25 AM   #20

Ours averages about 8mpg too, the lowest has been about 6.5 climbing grades, and the best 10mpg, but we can pretty much count on 8mpg. As to the rpms, our normal freeway driving it is running about 2200-2400 rpms, with no more engine noise than you would hear in a car. When climbing grades the rpms definitely go up, on a 6% grade it can get up around 4500. 6% grades in the Sierras and elsewhere will definitely take more rpms to handle than rolling hills. It has plenty of power to get up any grade we've come across without a problem and at a decent speed. The drive is excellent in my opinion, and it tracks well, does not roll/sway or get pushed around by the wind or big trucks.

Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada, diesel