Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2011, 05:50 PM   #29

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
after seeing the closed up haulers i may have to change up my setup, as it is now the truck gets very dirty back there
65 feet is the "legal" limit in texas before you should apply for a permit to be over long.

i am right at 65
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 036.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	177.1 KB
ID:	16537  
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2011, 06:03 PM   #30

If I recall correctly, the hitch failure rebelsbeach had was due to a MANUFACTURING DEFECT on a small run of hitches Spartan used from a company that went out of business and for which Spartan worked up some form of recall and repair which included things like "don't use full hitch weight capacity." It's all a little fuzzy though....

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/reca...tches-396.html
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 06:35 PM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabman View Post
Ranger - sharp trailer !!
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
as it is now the truck gets very dirty back there
And that is exactly why I went with an enclosed trailer. I couldn't see pulling my Bronco around on an open trailer after I finished the restoration on it.

I had to do a test fit to make sure it fit OK.

Old 12-21-2011, 06:44 PM   #32

Sharp Bronco !!!
Old 12-21-2011, 06:52 PM   #33

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger429 View Post
Thanks.

And that is exactly why I went with an enclosed trailer. I couldn't see pulling my Bronco around on an open trailer after I finished the restoration on it.

I had to do a test fit to make sure it fit OK.

SOLD , looks like the side door is in the perfect spot
got to make sure my trailer search stays in the ad block
maybe i can get dw to go look at some tomorrow
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 06:56 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottffss View Post
If I recall correctly, the hitch failure rebelsbeach had was due to a MANUFACTURING DEFECT on a small run of hitches Spartan used from a company that went out of business and for which Spartan worked up some form of recall and repair which included things like "don't use full hitch weight capacity." It's all a little fuzzy though....

Thanks for setting the record straight !!! Typically these hitches are designed for at least an additional 20% or more loading as a safety factor.....
Old 12-21-2011, 07:02 PM   #35

Quote:
after seeing the closed up haulers i may have to change up my setup, as it is now the truck gets very dirty back there
65 feet is the "legal" limit in texas before you should apply for a permit to be over long.

i am right at 65

Beautiful rig...you need a box for that truck !!
Old 12-21-2011, 07:49 PM   #36

To Ranger429 what are the two small doors for on the driver side of the trailer? Nice looking trailer
Chevy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:12 PM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabman View Post
Sharp Bronco !!!
Thanks Fabman.

Quote:
SOLD , looks like the side door is in the perfect spot
got to make sure my trailer search stays in the ad block
maybe i can get dw to go look at some tomorrow

It is in the right spot. I got the blue print for the trailer before I ordered it and then layed out the Bronco inside of it on paper to make sure all the measurements were in the right spot. The Bronco is centered in the trailer so it should be good for tongue weight. Originally they had the door 2' to the rear of the trailer, it would of never worked there.

If you are going to get an enclosed I highly suggest you double check the placement of the side door so you can open the door on your truck once it is loaded. Makes getting out much easier.

Also check the height of your truck. The standard trailer height that I found was 6'6" high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy2 View Post
To Ranger429 what are the two small doors for on the driver side of the trailer? Nice looking trailer
This trailer is pulling double duty. In the winter it will pull the snowmobiles, the doors are pretty much a gas door for filling the sleds. This trailer has a 5' V-nose with a front ramp door for unloading the sleds. Drive on, drive off.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:58 PM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottffss View Post

The London Aires and Essexs were not in that recall. I can't remember the brand hitch that is on those models. Those hitches were rated at 15,000 pounds.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 05:19 PM   #39

length

If you have a Trailer life Rv book, in either the front or back, cannot remember, it will list legal lenghts by state.
newmar owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:22 AM   #40

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
I'm glad this thread showed up. I hadn't consisdered "length laws". We've been looking at different setups trying to figure out what kind of setup will work best for us in a few years when we retire. We already know we will need a new trailer that will be able to carry a motorcycle, 2 ATVs, and some type of vehicle. My wife has an 06 Escape that we will likley keep (depending on mileage at the time), but if not we'll have something similar. We had originally wanted to stay with a class C, but after talking with people at the RV show this weekend, it looks like we might have to move up to a small class A. I'd love a DP, but don't think that will be in our retirement budget unless we hit the lottery.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:55 AM   #41
doc

Appalachian Campers
How is the Bronco secured in the trailer? Straps, chains, blocks???
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:56 AM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekrsq View Post
I'm glad this thread showed up. I hadn't considered "length laws". We've been looking at different setups trying to figure out what kind of setup will work best for us in a few years when we retire. We already know we will need a new trailer that will be able to carry a motorcycle, 2 ATVs, and some type of vehicle. My wife has an 06 Escape that we will likely keep (depending on mileage at the time), but if not we'll have something similar. We had originally wanted to stay with a class C, but after talking with people at the RV show this weekend, it looks like we might have to move up to a small class A. I'd love a DP, but don't think that will be in our retirement budget unless we hit the lottery.
First off, I would not worry yourself with sleepless nights about length laws in each state. I did for awhile after I had purchased my 26 foot cargo trailer which sits 30 feet long with the tongue. However, after waking up one morning with a commercial Mayflower moving truck parked next to me that was clearly 5-6 feet longer than my rig which sits at 72 feet, I put my worrying to rest. His tractor had the longest sleeper cab I had ever seen on a commercial rig.

That doesn't mean that I won't possibly receive a citation somewhere along my travels especially if I have an accident. However, I will accept the responsibility if and when it happens, if ever.

Now for finding a trailer that will fit a motorcycle, 2 ATV's and a car, you are looking at a very long and heavy trailer. The dual axles on my Pace Shadow are 6,000 lbs. each and I run them between 10,000 and 11,000 lbs. with all of my junk inside which includes a 2006 Saturn Vue and a 2004 Victory Arlen Ness Edition motorcycle. I carry everything I own as I currently don't own a S&B yet. Still looking for that special place to build a coach house for maybe 6 months every year.

If you plan to tow that much weight, you will most definitely need a DP with at least a 400 HP engine or larger. My 2002 Windsor has a Cummins 350HP and I do OK with it. It gets me to the top of any grade at the same speed as a fully loaded commercial big rig so if you're not in any hurry a 350HP is the bare minimum.

With a limited retirement budget, you may have to rethink your towing plans and downsize to just the car. Or there are these combo trailers that will haul a car on a dolly type trailer plus either a golf cart or motorcycles in front of the car. There are not cheap, around $8,000 or more depending on the extras.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel