Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2011, 02:35 PM   #15
DKO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
That would make us even a few feet longer but is would solve the hitch weight problem. Pretty cool and something to consider...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2011, 02:54 PM   #16

DKO - used to be a company in Janesville Iowa that manufactured this type of unit.. Not sure if they are still in business or not.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:57 PM   #17
DKO

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gma-n-Gpa View Post
DKO - used to be a company in Janesville Iowa that manufactured this type of unit.. Not sure if they are still in business or not.
Thanks much..
Old 12-20-2011, 04:34 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post

Bob's stacker;
Nice lookin Stacker. What make? Is it still for sale?
Old 12-20-2011, 05:46 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Reguardless if you are within the weight limits have your hitch taken off and extra supports welded in. Also have the saftey chain connections added to the frame and hook the trailer saftey chains to them. Stackers empty weight around 7000 pounds so with a car and toys you will be easily around 11000 pounds, under the weight limit but still alot of wight to be pulling.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:23 PM   #20

The legal length of a combination motorhome and trailer setup is listed in the front of the Good Sam triler Life directory. Here in NJ it is limited to 65 feet for both trailer and motrhome.
GBerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 04:05 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabman View Post
My rig will be too long. That's just the way it's gonna work out. Most of these. Combinations are. The setup in my picture above is 45 plus 27 Total 72. New set up will be 45 plus 29.
Were you ever pulled over for a length check? Curious because I just picked up my 27' trailer that I am going to pull.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBerner View Post
The legal length of a combination motorhome and trailer setup is listed in the front of the Good Sam triler Life directory. Here in NJ it is limited to 65 feet for both trailer and motrhome.
Some states are only 60' max overall length.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:48 PM   #22

No never pulled over....We travel with the trailer maybe 4 times a year right now doing about 7000 miles total. Not allot of exposure but we have been by allot of truck scales and have not had any issues. I don't think they really bother you unless there is a different issue they pull you over for. I did try to look online to find out what the penalties are for over length but have not found anything.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:27 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Most of us are over length, with the limit being 65-70 ft depending on the state, most states grant reciprocity on length. I have not had any issues thus far but always cringe when I go by a scale. We all assume that risk when we pull these. Most of Renegades stuff out there is 80-85 ft and every now and then you hear about DOT busting someone. I race and we are always talking about the length issue at the tracks. I have had a scale boy stop and offer assistance when I was stalled one day, he made a few laps around the rig and made the comment, "pretty long but it is put together well and safe. We don't hassle RV guys much if they are safe." Mine is 79 ft. The trailer is 32 ft United Super Hauler extra tall with a 5 ft hitch bar. It's not a stacker but pretty close in height, should help your visual. It tows great even in a strong crosswind, no power issues or stopping issues. Trailer toad makes a product like a previous poster shows, great product but adds length and would hinder backing it into a spot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jpg.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	16512  
Old 12-20-2011, 06:55 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Red face

Thanks for the reply fabman.

Well you sure make me feel a little better after seeing your setup drnitrous! That looks sharp. Here is a picture of my trailer I picked up today, 27' overall length with 7'6" interior height to fit my lifted Bronco in.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:09 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks, you will like your United, i've been pretty happy with mine, I like the polished trim on yours, safe travels!
Old 12-20-2011, 10:15 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have never had a problem backing up with the Trailer Toad. You just pull the clips on the two red handles you see in the picture and they drop into holes in the axle preventing it from turning. You can then back up normally.
ahrma175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 04:47 AM   #27

Finally some pics ! Great ! Drnitous - nice setup. Ranger - sharp trailer !!
Old 12-21-2011, 05:09 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Coach (RHOME) with 36,000 lbs towing 30 foot (incl. tongue) Pace Shadow Cargo Trailer (RJUNK) with 11,000 lbs. Total length, almost 72 feet. Have been on the road with this setup since May 2010 over 15,000 miles from Alaska to Florida to the NE, both coasts, etc.

I did worry at first about being stopped for over-length in some states until one night I stopped in the back of a small fueling station and woke up the next morning with a Mayflower moving truck beside me that was another 5 feet longer than my rig.

I drive very cautiously and safely. The LEO's most likely won't stop you specifically for over-length but you can receive a citation if they stop you for something else or possibly with a roadside breakdown.

Here's a couple of photos of my rig.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rest Area BC.JPG
Views:	246
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	16516   Click image for larger version

Name:	Coach & Pace Trailer 002.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	449.4 KB
ID:	16517