Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2012, 06:43 PM   #1

Dimming headlights.

Do you dim your headlights when meeting oncoming vehicle when traveling on a divided highway at night. Reading the Illinois rules of the road states that you dim your lights at 500ft. when meeting another vehicle, but it does not say anything about on a divided highway. Deer are really bad this time of year in our area so I like to leave my lights on bright as much as I can.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2012, 07:56 PM   #2

I always dim my headlights. I think it's a safer way to drive.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:05 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockman1 View Post
Do you dim your headlights when meeting oncoming vehicle when traveling on a divided highway at night. Reading the Illinois rules of the road states that you dim your lights at 500ft. when meeting another vehicle, but it does not say anything about on a divided highway. Deer are really bad this time of year in our area so I like to leave my lights on bright as much as I can.
It doesn't exclude divided highways either, right?

Just do it.
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:16 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I usually Dim My Lights however it really depends on how Bright the Lights coming toward Me appear.
If it looks like the oncoming traffic Lights are really bright then that indicates to Me that My Lights must also appear Bright so I will Dim. If No one in the opposite Lanes is changing Their Lights after I drop Mine I may flip them back to Hi Beam!
It really depends on the particular circumstances.
I try to Not drive at Night if I can avoid it!
Old 11-25-2012, 08:39 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

If I can see another set of headlights, I dim my lights.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:06 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post

Rick
Same here. That said, I try to avoid driving the coach after dark.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:39 PM   #7

Yep, like others I dim my lights. Please dim yours! Just because a highway is divided does not mean the light coming across is blocked or restricted. On some interstates the separation is wide enough that dimming is not really necessary. Still think it is good practice so as the division narrows, one still remembers to dim.
jablair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:38 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I always dim my lights but sometimes feel like a fool because alot of other people don't. With some of the excessively bright aftermarket headlights some have, it can blind you momentarily.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:53 PM   #9

I always dim mine as soon as I see the reflection of oncoming lights, I also dim them when I can see taillights ahead of me.

If deer are a problem in your area then slow down. Two things I never do when it is inevitable that I will hit an animal on the road, I never hit my brakes and I never swerve. Those are the two things that will do you the most damage. The one thing I do do is stomp on the accelerator, if I have to hit an animal I am going to do it with my front end as high as possible. I have come across a few accidents where swerving to miss a rabbit or other small creature has killed the driver and one accident where a convertible, after slamming on the brakes flipped a horse in to the front seat and killed the two occupants.

Rusty
RustNnails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:14 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
As others have said, it depends somewhat on how wide the median is. Normally I only dim my lights if I am on the INSIDE of a curve where my lights will be shining across the median toward oncoming traffic. On a straight stretch I don't dim them UNLESS the oncoming traffic flashes their bright lights at me. At that point I assume my lights are bothering them and go ahead and dim. Deer are a real danger around here so I like to have as much light out ahead of me as I can!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:38 AM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Ed, is that some of that "road rage" I've heard about?
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:43 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post

Rick

Same here.

That other guy is looking for deer too and can't see when your lights are blinding him.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:19 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Dimming your headlights is one of the first things you should do when encountering wildlife. A deer will freeze when it cannot see properly and dimming the lights will allow it to react to the danger. Therefore, dimming for an oncoming car will do some of the same for the other driver. As a professional driver and almost all of it after dark, I can truefully say that driving with dims only is actually a better way to see what is ahead of you. When you drive after dark you should soon learn to drive the shadows. Meaning using a far off street light or car lights as warnings when you see a little blip as something crosses between you and it. An animal crossing the road will show itself in the form of a shinning eye as well. Bright lights will show a glare that may blind you to that. Looking directly at oncoming lights will take away your ability to see as well as focusing on the side of the road instead. Diming your lights for other drivers as soon as posibile even if they are on the other side of the mediam is not only a curtious action but a safe one for you as well.
It never ceases to amaze me to come across a driver on a clear night with his running lights on as well as the brights. Many times they are on a pickup and tend to be higher from the road and at the same level with the other drivers line of sight. Those drivers seem to be very happy to show of their well equipt vehicle, even if it means blinding everybody else. Some folks call them fog lights. A fog light is not white! It is yellow and should be slightly aimed at the side of the road and down so it will allow the driver to stay in his lane. It should not be aimed upwards as that blinds and reflects back at the driver!
Todays soapbox!
Old 11-26-2012, 11:12 AM   #14

I also Dim my lights to oncoming trafic, i also use a DEER Whistle to alert the deer.
it seems to work every place i have driven with deer.
it also works on Camals, i drove through Nevada and never seen ONE Camal
kekker is offline   Reply With Quote